1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stan Musial R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ljutic73, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

One of the greats, St. Louis Cardinals star and HOF member Stan Musial died tonight at age 92.

2. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

One of the all time GREATS!

3. wayno

wayno TS Member

i was in ebbets field one amazing afternoon in about 1952 and watched both musial and snider hit one out. it was a time when baseball was the sport of gods.

i remember him being so much thinner than i had imagined...

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

His last season was 1963, 50 years ago, and yet he was still the man in St. Louis and through much of the MidWest even to this day.

You gotta be the real deal to still be held in such high regard - 50 years after you retired.

5. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

We lost another great tonite.....The Earl of Baltimore.....Earl Weaver

With the deepest respect to both......RIP

D.P.Reynolds

6. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

RIP, Stan

7. gold40

gold40 Member

In his retirement years, Mr. Musial was a great booster of local St. Louis charities, and often appeared a fund raisers (without pay). He often brought is signed baseballs, bats, and photographs to raise money.

He will be dearly missed...

gold40

8. Kent

Kent TS Member

I was at a Blues hockey game years ago at the "old arena", I went to the rest room and did my business and when finished and looked up he was at the urinal next to me, being a very respectful person I decided this was not the time to ask for an autograph.

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I saw him play against the Dodgers at Ebbets field about 70 years ago. I can still remember his batting stance with both feet together and the stride towards the pitch. STAN THE MAN - indeed! May God rest his soul.

10. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

First known as "The Donora Greyhound" honoring his hometown and speed on the base paths. I had the thrill of seeing him smack line drive doubles off the screen in right field at the old Sportsman's Park in St. Louis. (Many of those would have gone out of a regular park which would have vastly increased his mark of, I believe, 475 home runs.)

He was always approachable, in the airport, at Stan and Biggie's steakhouse, or at the stadium. A true gentleman on and off the field. Where do we find his like in sports today? Martinpicker

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

He took signed baseball cards everywhere he went so people could have them. It is said he and John Wayne were best friends and John suggested he do it for the kids

12. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

My wife were in Lake of the Ozarks about 10 Years ago and went to JB Hooks to eat one night. The place was BUZZING. I asked the pretty lady behind the bar what was up and she said "Stan & Lil just left". Being a life long Cardinals fan I asked Stan Musial? She said yes that they dine there occasionally, and Stan had played a couple songs on his harmonica at the bar before they left. Why couldn't we have gotten there 30 min earlier!

13. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

One of my favorite baseball cards of 1963. Brings back old memories. RIP. BT100dc

14. lc

lc TS Member

Makes you wonder, the number of hits he had, life time batting average of I think 313 maybe 333 whatever what he would have been paid in this day and age when they are paying 223 hitters millions. And didn't charge for an autograph!

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

He used to come to Litchfield, IL to go quail and rabbit hunting with Red and the White Rat and a gentleman name Tom, who was the White Rat's good friend. They used to stay at the "Gardens Motel and Restaurant" along with a couple of birddogs. The birddogs had their own room.

They usually bought their shells in our store. I think Easy Ed came with them once or twice too.

16. scott starks

scott starks TS Member

After receiving a record salary of $100,000, Stan Musial insists he take a $20,000 pay cut due to his decrease in performance the previous season.

Have you ever heard of a current player asking for less?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.