1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

" STAN BAKER " BARRELS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by soup, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soup

soup Member

FOLKS ,

I'm new to trap shooting & have a chance to purchase a Stan Baker barrel for an 1187 . Can anyone enlighten me about them ? Why they are special & who this gentleman was.

Thank you and happy New Year to all .

SOUP
  2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If you can buy it for under $500 do it. $350 is a good buy but depending on wxactly what it is - it could be worth $500. High rib, big bore, what tubes etc. If it is a true baker it will be stamped so. Stan has passed away. He was a very well known barrel maker in Seattle
  3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

If it's a Baker Big Bore it will shoot fine, but probably not for you if you are new to trapshooting as you say. Time and money are better spent finding out what you have now: where it shoots, and how it works. There are many, many times as many dead birds in those variables as in any barrel, any tuning, any magic. (WPT's magic rocks excluded, of course.)

Neil
  4. soup

soup Member

5. soup

soup Member

6. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The question is what did Stan (RIP) do to the barrel to make it special? I don't know.
  7. KooJo

KooJo Member

Stan Baker was one of the first gunsmiths to "Back Bore" shotgun barrels and maybe also the first one to do after market "Choke Tubes". He made a "Big Bore" shotgun barrel that 12ga chamber with a 10ga bore, How it did for trapshooting, I do not know. I did go to his shop in Seattle one time, and talk to him about shotgun barrels.The old "Shotgun Sports" magazines has articles that he wrote about shotguns and barrels.
  8. chuckles

chuckles Member

Baker Big Bores are supposed to give superior pattern density.

In my opinion Neils advice is worth taking...
  9. gun1357

gun1357 Member

Stan Baker did a lot of different things well. My first experience, about 40 years ago, was to have a Browning Superposed skeet gun set up for field trial shooting. He removed the forcing cones, overbored it to .735 and jug-choked it to give close to modified choke patterns in both barrels. Worked great but killed on both ends. Next he replaced the barrels with long forcing cones, winchester type screw-in chokes, .735 bores, 3/8 inch Winchester/Simmons style rib. I also had a Remington 870 made up .735 bore and with the Winchester screw-ins,and finally I picked up a Perrazi under single with longer chokes, two ribs, etc. My last purchase was a set of .800 Perazzi O/U Big Bore skeet barrels.

As you can see, he did a lot of different stuff so a "Baker Barrel" label doesn't tell you much more than a real expert once worked on it. Ron
  10. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have talked to him at his shop & at the Grand. I have shot a bunch of his bbls,all the way thru the .800. A good friend had 3 so I got to use them any time I wanted. They never showed me anything as far a breaking targets better.
    I have several Wilkinson guns that will put Baker to shame. He was a great guy with a nice shop to visit. but I would not spend the money
  11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

KooJo,

Remington was building 12ga over-bored barrels a long time ago. Mic out a Remington M31 longrange barrel sometime. I've seen them as big as .745 straight from the factory.

ss
  12. gun1357

gun1357 Member

True story: I was stationed overseas "defending the free world against the forces of communist aggression" back in the '70s. I bought a new Winchester Super-X skeet gun that didn't pattern well. Stan got a field grade barrel, set it up with the overbore, long forcing cone, screw-in chokes and 3/8 inch rib I like and got it to me. I still shoot this gun/barrel in competition. Ron
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

back bore guns baker barrels

shotgun baker choke system

stan baeka spoytsh vidio

stan baker barrels

stan baker shot gun barrels

stan baker trap barrels