1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stan Baker barrel for 870 - what's it worth?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AveragEd, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Stan Baker barrel for 870 - what

What's the value of a 30" Stan Baker high-rib barrel with Baker choke tubes for an 870 Competition? I'm considering the purchase of a gun with one and would like an idea of how much I might be able to get for the barrel. The barrel appears to be like new and the seller of the gun states the gun was shot very little even before the barrel was modified.

Ed

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I don't know if a stock Comp 870 bbl can be improved upon but the high rib might be nice to have. As to $$'s...????

3. AveragEd

Well, at this point, it really doesn't matter. The guy selling the gun with this barrel on it believes the gun is worth a whole lot more than I do, so I'm going to buy one of the other two I'm considering.

Ed

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Ed, when you ask for "value" like that, you are asking us what we'd pay for this or that.

Sorry, but my valuation on a heavily-modified 870 Comp barrel is zero. The whole point of the Comp is the choke. Once that's gone - either through tubing or reaming - it's just a complicated 870 whose POI is just another thing to worry about. This one even needs stock work just to be used. It isn't worth anything.

Neil

5. AveragEd

Neil, that was my gut instinct, too. But 870 Competitions are sort of a "cult" gun and I didn't know if that barrel would pack any appeal. And I did receive a P.M. from a fellow trapshooters.com poster placing first dibs on the barrel if I could put the deal together. But he had no idea of its value, either.

Personally, I would think a barrel like that for a TB or TC would be more valuable for exactly the reason you mentioned - the quality of the factory 870 Competition barrels.

The gun in question probably was not shot a lot because the comb is not adjustable; there's no way anyone could hit a thing without one and even then, there would be probably a 3/4" to 1" gap between the comb and the rest of the stock. But the guy who is selling the gun thinks he has something really special. I was considering buying the gun as a "parts donor" to support my other 870 Competitions and had no interest in the barrel.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

stan baker barrels 870

stan baker shotgun barrels