1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stainless Steel vs. Bronze bore brushes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by phirel, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

Stainless steel is much harder than the steel used to make barrels. I want my brushes to be softer than what I am brushing.

Pat Ireland

2. below 0

below 0 TS Member

Stainless Steel "Tornado" Brushes can do irepairable damage to a Shotgun Barrel.Stick with Soft Brushes and use them with frequency. Below 0

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Does this only apply to Shotgun barrels or also Rifles and Handguns? I actually have a few of the Tornado brushes that I've used on R's and H's. Are shotgun barrels just naturally softer? Is a bore snake OK to use? I think that one has bronze brushes.

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

STAY WITH BRASS!! I used a Tornado S/S cleaner on an 870 I once had. I don't know that I ruined the barrel with it, but, I do know I scratched the heck out of it... Will never use S/S again.....

vpr80..... Bore snake is perfectly all right. The bristles are brass and will do no harm to your gun barrel.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

vpr80- Rifle barrels might be made of softer steel than shotgun barrels. Remember, soft steel is stronger than hard steel. When steel becomes hard it also becomes brittle.

Pat Ireland

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

that's not good...how did I never learn of this before now? why the hell do they even make cleaning brushes that are harder than the barrels?

looks like most of my brushes are going in the trash tonight.

7. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

"supposedly" the Tornado brushes should not damage due to their looped design...I'm not taking my chances....will just get the brass ones.

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Pat, most rifle barrel steel is made from 4130/4140 chrome moly, the same with better shotgun barrels. If their made from stainless there usually 410 stainless, Ljutic uses 431 stainless. The statement soft steel is stronger the hardened steel is not true. A heat treated piece of steel will become stronger then the same piece in it's annealed state. Hardening steel does not have to make it brittle, it all depends on how much it must be drawn back for it's specific purpose.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

TOOLMAKER 251- By stronger, I meant that it will take more force to break the steel. Softer steel will bend easier than hard steel but it will not break as easy. I realize there are specialty steels that might not fit into this generalization.

Pat Ireland

10. JRW

JRW Member

When Kerry Allor did the work on my K80, he told me not to use anything but nylon brushes. Jerry in MI.

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bill... I don't know about "most" shotgun barrels being chrome lined, but, I do know my Perazzi DB-81 barrel has been custom tuned by Tom Wilkinson. I'm pretty sure that, after back boring the barrel, and doing the custom choke work, he did not chrome it.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Toolmaker is right on-- hardness is a term that is nearly independent from strength

Plus there are many types of measurement of "strength" - it all depends if you are discussing dynamic loading curves and if you are worried about shear-- plus about a dozen other factors all that relate to that word.

There are also differences in what you mean by hardness- there are surface hardening techniques also.

regards from Iowa

Gene

13. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Pat has it right. I have had the coiled S.S. spring brushes break and expose the sharp edges which would scratch the barrel if used again. No thanks.

Always use a metal softer than the steel of the barrel to clean it.

14. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I use the Tornado brushes for cleaning the plastic build up from choke tubes. They work well for that application. I wouldn't use one in the bore, though.

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Never run anything down any of my barrels. I probably haven't cleaned them for twenty + years. Why don't I have any crud in them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bronze vs steel bore brushes
gun nylon brush vs bronze video
stainless steel bore brush shotgun
steel shotgun brush
tornado brush on chrome barrel

tornado brush vs brass

tornado brush vs bronze brush
will tornado brush harm shotgun barrel