1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

stainless model 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smifshot, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

saw a new (to me) gun recently. Its a model 12 winchester 20 guage with a stainless steel barrel. Not nickel but stainless. The owner said when he bought the gun the barrel was painted plack. He removed the paint because it was flaking and has polished the barrel. On looking closer, the barrel was marked cylinder, had target sights and the black inlays on the stock. Haad never seen one of these and was wondering is you have. The gun looks in good shape. Stroker

2. shootman

shootman TS Member

A couple of years ago Shotgun Sports mag. had an article on model twelves and there were all sorts of different versions. I am 57 and I never heard of some of them. They made some with cutts comps., some with polymer stocks and forearms, guns with 2 1/2, 2 9/16, 2 3/4, and 3 inch chambers. It is a good article. BOB

3. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Most stainless barreled M-12's were made during the 20's.
    I believe they were discontinued because of the fact that the finish would always come off.
    I have seen several 12 ga. stainless barrels but no 20's.
    Also your description makes it sound like it maybe a black diamond grade.
    In a 20 with a stainless barrel that would have to be a VERY rare bird.

4. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Removing that paint and polishing the barrel only took about a thousand or two off the value of that gun.

5. dshot

dshot Member

I beleave, Herb Parks shot a s/s model 12 back in the early 60's

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

They arent that rare- and while there is some slight collectors value its not a huge amount-

Having said that- I have never seen a 20 gauge and from the stock it is either a special order or aftermarket stuff on the gun-

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

I have 3 stainless Model 12's in 12ga. They are the only 3 that I have ever seen for sale in over 30 years of collecting. I looked at a 20ga once that was marked stainless, but the barrel was blued, not painted. Probably a factory mistake, and probably a rare gun, but $2500 was more than I was willing to gamble. Crazy as it may sound, I tend to agree with alot of Gene's opinions, but I gotta call BS on this one, I think stainless Model 12's are pretty rare. Not super valuable, but rare.

8. sx1skeet

sx1skeet TS Member

Stainless model 12 are rare. They did make some in 20ga and 16 most were 12ga. They also did some 61's in stainless.

9. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

10. sx1skeet

sx1skeet TS Member

if you want to know what it is worth. Please post a few pics as the polished barrel does hurt it.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Winchester also had stainless rifle barrels, and the painting process was called "Japanning" or "Japan Black". This was because conventional blueing would not work.

Pity the guy stripped the original finish and polished the barrel. It's now a shooter grade, not a collector grade.

Ignorant is as ignorant does.

12. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Can of Krylon and she'll be valuable as ever. :eek:p Jerry

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I wouldn't put it past someone at a gun show to do just that.

14. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

How about a model 11 winchester semi auto make in 1913

15. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

I would be extremely skeptical of any stainless Winchester gun with a nice finish on the barrel. With todays technology, I bet there is a process to blacken stainless. Forgot to mention in my previous post that I also have a stainless 97 in 16ga. Also wanted to correct myself from my previous post. The stainless guns I own are the only ones I have ever seen for sale in person. I have seen a few online.

16. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Winchester offered the Model 12 Heavy Duck Gun in Special Steel, or Stainless barrels from 1935 to 1948, 12 gauge only, 30 or 32 inch. I'd like to see a pic of that 20 ga. Wayne

17. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Joe Hollingsworth used to shoot at our club - I remember him talking about a stainless model 12 that he had just purchased at a sale. He may have sold the gun to someone on here. He built some of the most beautiful model 12's I've ever seen.

18. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

who is your daddy had a good point on the term rare-- thats a relative term

I think he is correct though

I meant rare enough that the guns would be worth 10,000 or multiples of 10,000 each or that I had never seen one or only one in a museum-- etc

In fact I have probably seen 50 just at gun shows or gun shops- and I havent been looking for them

regards from Iowa

Gene

19. bobcatv

bobcatv TS Member

I have one. It's in 12 Ga.

You don't see many of them around.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.