1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Staggered Shell Speed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shark1, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shark1

shark1 Member

I was wondering how many reloaders and good shooters dial in or stagger shell speed? Example 1145fps is used on the 16yd and 1250fps used on the 27yd. Do people use 1200fps for the 24yd? The rest of the shell would standard specs, (1 1/8oz 8's) with no others modifications in wads or chokes, (fixed full). Did "you" do this style? Do you know if a top shooter AAA, 27 yd did this? Last part is why it was done? Thanks Mike Sharkey, DC

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mike- I do shoot new and reloaded shells at 1145 ft/sec for singles. At handicap (27 yards) I shoot both new AA Super Handicap or reloads ( 1220 ft/sec). I never change my choke tube. Sometimes I break good scores and sometimes I do not. I wish the reason I miss targets was the shells. I could easily change the shells.

Pat Ireland

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Pat speaks with wisdom well beyond his years....

(Makes you older than dirt, lol)

4. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

I use Remington STS lights for singles and doubles and I continue to use them to about 22-24 yards depending on weather conditions. If a moderate breeze is about us I often use the Nitro 27 loads beyond 23 yards. I always shoot the same choke (super full) because I cannot change that. Sift around the site for a while and you will find a metric ton of info relating to shotshell type, speed, brand, wad, shot type and shot size, choke preferences for yardages, you will likely have a headache after you get through with all of it! I hope this helps. All the best.

J.F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.