1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stag ARs any good?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by claybrdr, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Never owned one. Have owned a half dozen other makes and want to make sure they are not a POS like Olympia for example.

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

It represents the higher end of mil-spec AR's.

It's not a Baer AR, but dollar for dollar they were pretty good - IMHO.

3. oz

oz Active Member

very good. Stag makes parts for most other manufacturers.

4. oz

oz Active Member

If you can find one for $800-1000 buy it quick. ar's and accessories are disappearing quick.

5. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Thanks. Prices are nuts about now.

6. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Go to www.ar15.com.........not bad for a lower end AR....but, nowadays, you better jump on it!

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Quality is decent. If it's priced good, jump on it.

8. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Impingement....infringement of gun rights is what the left-wing is attempting.....

9. Lyle

Lyle Member

I had one, the super varminter and I thought it was awesome. Very nice two stage trigger and shot factory loads sub moa. I covered an eight shot group with a dime more than one time with that gun. Wish I hadn't sold it.

Lyle

10. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

The stag ars I have bought so far have closer tolerences than some other brands.Theres no slop between the upper and lower But thats just my 2 cents.

11. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I have a Stag upper, it works fine, and I appreciate the company. I'm just not sure of the cost-to-quality. My most recent purchases have been through JSE. Their quality is very good, and their prices and responses are excellent.

Kip

12. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I own a Stag 2012 and a Colt from 1966 and a Bushmaster. To say that Stag is lower end is to be wrong. Fit, finish and accuracy are equal to the other two I just mentioned. Accuracy is actually better than the Colt with 60 grn ammo. If you find one, buy it. You won't go wrong.

R J Talley

13. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

Bought a Stag Model 8 (piston gun) right after they came out. I love mine! One of the best I have ever owned, and I have had a few. Runs cooler and cleaner than any gas gun out there. If you find a Stag, buy it quick!

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Most of the ex military people coming into my shop swear by 'em!!

15. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Had 2 Stag Model 6's. Hand loads with 60 gr VMax or SP shot less than dime size groups. Had a bad trigger in the first one, was supposed to be match grade 2 stage but was terrible, contacted Stag they sent a call tag and had the lower back to me in a week and 2 days with the correct trigger installed. Great customer service. Real nice gun. If they don't ban AR's I will get another one.

16. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Remember reading a comparison study in Shotgun News a couple years back where they were evaluating different brands of AR lowers. Of the 8 different types they ranked the Stag as #1. They were especially impressed with the finish of the lower compared to the other 7. Not just the outer coating, but finish of the metal beneath as far as the smoothing of cast/forging/machine marks prior to coating. I don't own one, but they should be worth a look.

Bob Falfa

17. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

After I had researched the number of different manufactureres for the lower receiver parts kits, I purchased the Stag Arms kit. I changed the hammer & trigger springs to one mfg. by JP Enterprises (3 1/2 pound springs). Result: excellent single stage trigger pull, no creep and crisp. Many on the AR15.com website recommended the Stag Arms kit; I can see why. The quality is outstanding and the price was no more than the others. I've made 2 transactions online with Stag Arms and both were excellent. BT100dc

18. johnboy

johnboy Member

A friend gave me a very fair deal on a new one several years. Very good rifle once the trigger is replaced.

19. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I shot a Stag once and was favorably impressed with it. For that matter I built several on Olympic lowers and never had any issues.

20. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

JSE Surplus, like every other seller, is "out of stock."

I have to assume that all these folks are or have pulled their inventory anticipating new legislation that will then make their inventory twice as expensive.

I'd say jump at what you can get, because the longer you wait, the less chance you'll be able to get an AR.

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.