1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stacked Beads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by todddietrich, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Marissa, IL
    Hello All,
    I didn't want to hijack the other thread about stacking beads, so I started another.
    I am not a threat the Harlan or Leo, in fact I'm not registered with the ATA. My 16yr old is shooting with a school team and he is in charge of breaking the registered targets. I consider myself more of a duck scarer, rather than a duck killer. I recently got my Browning Superposed Trap back from Art's gunsmithing. Art went through it and tighened and rebuilt all the parts that needed attention. Works like 1969 new.
    Yesterday, I took it over to Sparta and shot a few rounds. I took it to the pattern board, and tried to see where it was shooting. That was a mess for a couple of reasons. First, the place where they moved the pattern board at Sparta is a half gravel road with more mud than gravel in March. The pattern board has not been greased since last year from what I can determine. The paint roller that has been left out, has been left out, if you know what I mean. Lastly, the pattern board is set due west. At 5pm the sun is right there. I shot a few times and basically cut my losses.
    When I look down my Superposed, it looks like you could park an air plane in the strip between the center and end bead. I'm used to shooting field guns and my first reaction is this thing is going to shoot 4' high. If I roll my cheek into the stock, I can get the beads a little closer together and it doesn't feel uncomfortable.
    I shot a round at 16 yds for 20 using the Imp Mod barrel. I backed up to the 20 yd and shot a round at 22 with the full. Most of my misses were straights that I shot too fast or hard rights that I didn't swing cleanly on. If I let the straights out another 1/2 second I did better. The Imp Mod would grind them to dust and the full would hit solid, but not much smoke.
    The bottom line from my thinking, I need to teach myself how this gun shoots rather than what I think beads should look like. Comments and suggestions welcomed!

Todd (Illinois)
  2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    It sounds like you are doing OK with your Superposed. A trap gun is supposed to shoot higher than a field gun because the targets are always rising. The figure 8 with the beads is certainly Not necessary provided the gun fits you and has the right POI. I see space between the beads on my TMX but my MX-3 has a figure 8 sight picture because it has a steeper slope on the rib and both guns shoot the same POI. When you get some better conditions for the pattern board you can shoot from 20 yards or so and compare the POI for the top and bottom barrel, they might have a different POI.
  3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Mount the gun looking straight in a mirror. Concentrate on your dominant eyeball while do it. Make sure it feels comfortable, and do not look at the beads. Make sure you are just far enough away from the mirror, not to contact it with the end of the barrel. Now, look at the reflection. What do you see as far as alignment, both from the reflection, and the actual stock view?

Should give you an idea of whether the stock fits you. Look for bead alignment, and canting of the gun. It sometimes helps to mount the gun several times with your eyes closed first, before using the mirror, just to get that comfort feel.

Just something to try. By the way, the straights need a follow through also, especially if you shoot at the bird while still rising.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shorgun stacked beads

stacking beads in trap shooting

stacking two beads on a shotgun

what does stacking the beads mean in trap shooting

what is stacking beads on a shotgun

what should the beads on my shotgun look like when shooting trap