1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stabalizing spalted wood ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BAD 303, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Does anyone know who stabalizes spalted wood? I know there are some who do it but don't know who. It is a process of injecting acrylic i believe into the wood to make it hard and dense. Thanks

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What is spalted wood? HMB

3. randy-s

randy-s Member

Minwax makes a product that worked for me. Sorry the name has left me. Good luck. Randy

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

wssi@rconnect.com try that email it was for WSSI

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Actually there is "spalted" wood. Do a search for "spalted wood".

Eric

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Spalted wood, who would have guessed there is such a thing?

Eric

7. Bob Caryl

Bob Caryl Member

I have had spalted wood stabilized by this company. The address is below.

River Ridge Products
    Stephen White
    W6659 Cozine Road
    Ladysmith, Wi. 54848-9700

Email: wood2@rrpwhite.com

Hope this helps.

Bob

8. bob radasch

bob radasch Guest

call WSSI. I have used them for stabilizing specialty woods for real seats on bamboo fly rods. They are in Iowa- cant remeber the guys name- but he is very knowledgable and will be able to tell you if the process will work for the wood you have.

1-800-301-9774

wwww.stabilizedwood.com

good luck
    bob r

9. turmite

turmite Member

If this link works, here is a guitar body of spalted maple.

"Spalting is caused by the infections of wood with various kinds of white rot fungi. The ideal conditions for spalting to take place are temperatures that range from 70 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit with a moisture content that is at or near the fiber saturation point of about 30%. The characteristic blue-black zone lines of spalted wood form when incompatible colonies offungi come into contact with each other and lay down barriers to separate their territories."

"The dust created from sanding and sawing spalted wood has a toxic nature about it and has a reputation for causing respiratory problems. More specifically the mold or fungi that causes spalting to occur is what triggers the asthma like reactions that can be severe. Farmers handling moldy hay may experience similar symptoms. About two to five percent of the population can be expected to develop allergic sensitivity to one or more compounds found in wood. If you handle a lot of potentially toxic species, and work with them long enough, you increase your chances of a reaction. Among hobby woodworkers, at least one death has been reported, that of a New Orleans man in 1987. Spalted wood can also contain claustridius, the bacteria responsible for botulism. The best defense is to have a good dust extractions system and to wear a dust mask when working with spalted or any other kind of wood"

I can attest to the allergeric problems with spalted woods. In addition, when infused with the acrylic resins used to stabilize the wood, the effect is much more harsh on the lungs. What ever you do, wear a good respirator, not just a dust mask. You may ask me how I know! ;((((

Mike

10. turmite

turmite Member

Here is a light weight .22 rimfire sporter benchrest stock I made from spalted sycamore. Total weight of the stock was 14oz before finish, and I stabilazed by soaking a very slow drying epoxy resin into the wood and allowing it to soak all it would take.

I have used other pieces of spalted sycamore, maple, beech and birch that have not needed any stabilization. Just because it is spalted does not necessarily mean it is soft.

Mike

11. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Thanks for all the help as the guy in Iowa was who i was looking for.

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Interesting information thanks

13. Butterfingers

Butterfingers TS Member

Look here.
    http://www.thewoodbox.com/data/wood/spaltedinfo.htm

14. Guy

Guy Member

I've used these guys before on a stick of burled claro. Turned out great.

K & G Finishing Supplies 1972 Forest Ave Lakeside, Az. 85929 520-537-8877

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.