1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"SSCCRRAATTCCHH"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barry C. Roach, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I read the thread about the "Tornado" bore brush and the rub against it that it can scratch the bore. Other than cosmetics, how does that effect the performance of the gun?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Barry- A small scratch inside the barrel would probably not affect the functioning of the barrel. A small scratch on the outside of your gun stock would not affect the functioning of your stock. But, I want neither.

Pat Ireland

3. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I can take a Tornado brush and rub it up and down my arm all day and not get a scratch. How's it going to scratch the steel in my barrel. Can't say the same for a brass brush.

FWIW

Bob

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

About the only way a brass brush can scratch a harder steel barrel is if a steel (or harder) object becomes lodged in it. But then, that could happen even with a nylon brush.

Personally, I use nothing but a Hoppe's Bore Snake in my shotgun barrels. I might clean my trap gun barrels with a brush, patches and solvent once a year - if that often - and very little dirt or anything else discolors the patches when I do. And I don't see any scratches.

Ed

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- I can take a diamond and rub it on my arm and not get a scratch. But I can scratch a window with the same diamond.

Ed- You must change. A bore brush is clearly not adequate to remove misses from your barrel. Plus, do you really want snakes in your barrels?

Pat Ireland

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I perceive my misses are probably from snakes in my barrel. Their writhing apparently changes the POI.

HM

7. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Don't forget....snakes have rights too!!!

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

That's what I thought. Thanks

9. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Can someone explain how to use the tornado brush?

push/pull like a brass wire brush?
    chuck it in a drill and spin it through like a tornado?

They give no instructions.

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Brass brush with #0000 steel wool wrapped around it. A squirt of any spray lube in the barrel a couple of quick spins of the brush end to end with an electric drill and the bores are bright and shiney. Going on 40 years with the same Browning Broadway barrels and no scratches or marks of any kind.

Eric

11. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Anyone have the Hoppes instructions on how to correctly use a tornado brush?

12. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Otherwise known as the “Gunsmiths Brush” the Tornado brush has a special spiral-wound design that's highly effective for cleaning bores. The stainless steel loops on this gun cleaning supply eliminate any bristle ends that could leave scratches, yet removes fouling without damaging bore.

Available in these gauges: 12 gauge, 16 gauge, 20 gauge, .410 gauge.

I didn't know that.

13. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I bought one of the tornado brushes as I had an SKB with the SKB/Briley tubes in it. I was getting some pretty heavy accumulation of plastic in the choke tubes. I never ran it all the way through but I will say it cleaned the wad material away post haste. For full disclosure I was using the Blue eight petal Windjammer replacement with Stainless SKB/Briley tubes. Yoda100 has the gun now, he can perhaps add his comments. None of this happens with the Brileys that are now in my K-32 barrels nor the K tubes in the unsingle.

DCB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.