1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sr 7625 powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Is anyone using IMR SR7625 (formerly DuPont) for trap reloads? I used this powder years ago and thought it was great. When reloading threads request suggested loads I never see this powder mentioned. My reloads used Rem hulls, 18.5gr 7625, CCI 209 primers, the Fed 12S (spiral staircase type mid section) wad, Lawrence 8 1/2 Mag shot. I always felt like this was a better shell than shooting new ammo. I have shot thousands of rounds with this load with good results. Chamber pressere was about 6K PSI. For HC I would increase the powder to 20.5gr to 22 gr depending on preferred velocity and use 7 1/2 or 8 shot. This load was developed from the Lyman book of about 1973.

I would appreciate input, good or bad, BASED ON EXPERIENCE with this powder vs others. I and my son are about ready to get back into reloading. Being that many years have passed since we last reloaded it seems there should be something better. I would prefer a load that keeps pressures low. I know this powder is more costly than others but that is not a concern.

Thanks, Marc

2. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Fabulous powder but damn near 50% more cost per pound! Tom Rhoads

3. patrick smith

patrick smith TS Member

I've used it for dove loads many years ago,26.5 of sr7625 1&1/8 magnum shot in

the old peters blue magic hull with awesome results it also work great in .357

magnum with 5.0gr under a 141gr hollow base wadcutter bullet.

4. Neal S S

Neal S S TS Member

The winchester AA handicap powder is the best powder I have used in quite a while .19 grains of it in a remington case with a windjammer wad and you have a Fast medium recoil shell that is hard to beat from any distance on the walk !

5. olddrum1

olddrum1 TS Member

A few years back I bought out an estate. As an afterthought one of the Heirs said that I had to take all the powder too. In this I got a 12 lb. sealed keg of 7625. I found that it made great handicap loads during the summer.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Your load seems a little light for 7625. For hot 27 yard loads, it takes a lot of powder. But, it's great powder, just like PB. But, cost 50% more, and it requires a lot more as stated above. Does smell wonderful.

7. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Patrick.
    26.5gr must have really been a fast load. I use to load 24.5gr in an RXP hull pushing 1 5/16oz #5 and and #7 1/2 mixed. Many that shot my loads thought them to be great on everything including long range ducks and geese. The beautiful thing about this powder is you can load for max velocity and/or mass without excessive chamber pressures. The only downside other than cost is that it is a little dirty compared to 700X. Thanks, Marc

8. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Versatile - one of the best for hunting loads, but expensive. High velocity and low pressure. If it was cheaper it would be all I use for field loads.

9. Bob M

Bob M Member

SR 7625 - Best stuff ever!!! Meters great, smells great, keeps the bugs away, very elastic (field loads, target loads, 12 ga, 16 ga, 20 ga), should be considered a controlled substance when loaded into Federal paper hulls.

It does cost a bit more, about $138 for 8lbs, but I feel that it is worth it.

10. patrick smith

patrick smith TS Member

Mark yes it was a hot load not something you would not want to shoot from a pond or
    close shots,it was a load i got from a lyman shot shell hand book but that was
    a long time ago when all my loads were hot,hell back then most all my shotgun
    loads i used blue dot,win 540 and pistol loads were all loaded with win 296 &
    herc 2400 now a days its red dot or universal clays,funny what a little age
    on you will slow you and your loads down lol.

11. More Powder

More Powder TS Member

I found the new 7625 to be 9% slow on my chronograph.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

7625 powder

dupont 7625 powder

dupont 7625 reloading trap loads
imr sr7625
lyman reloading 7625
shotgun sr 7625 hunting loads

sr7625 powder

what happened to sr 7625 powder