1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Squirrel skinning

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jimborn, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Love to shoot and eat those "Limb Chickens" but hate skinning the things. There has got to be a tried and true method. Any thoughts??? Thanks from Nebraska.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The easiest is to do it when they are still warm. Cut a smmall slit about an inch long across the top of the back, in the middle.

Stick your finger in toward the back, and the other hand stick a finger in toward the front.

Pull fingers away from each other. Skin should peel right off, pull over legs and cut at knee joint. Same with tail and head.

HM

3. halfmile

Here's a disassembly manual.

HM

4. halfmile

This is my method. Haven't gotten any lately but the link is what I do.

HM

5. brantman

brantman TS Member

use a xacto knife when they are still warm

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Hold em by the tail and dip em in a pot of boiling water. The hair gets loose enough so ya can rub it off. Kinda like scraping a hog. Then ya can cut the tail off, put it on your truck antenna, and continue on with the skinning that was described with the slit in the middle of the back. Works for me, and the neighbors can tell ya had good luck on your hunt, by the tail floppin on the antenna.

I peeled the hide off the tail on one before slipping it on the antenna about an inch or so and took off driving for a few miles, drying out the skin. Even with the truck parked it appeared to be going 60 by looking at the antenna.

7. teleskier

teleskier Member

The method I have used for forty years and learned from my grandfather is to cut a small slit between the tail and A..hole. Step on the tail, grab the rear legs and pull up. Skins them slicker than snot. Mike

8. shadow

shadow Active Member

I use the "stand on the tail" method.

9. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Do as Halfmile said . Its easiest way . I used to trap federal marshes in Northern Ohio Have done much skinning Mustrats, Mink Racoon Fox Coyotes !
    And What HalfMile said is exactly proper . Some tought squirrles had to stand on tails to pull throught back legs when peeling the hide . Also shot many squirrles .

Pat Kelley

10. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

An exacto knife??? Com'on, a Missouri hill-boy better have a damn sharp multi-blade pocket knife with atleast one blade as sharp as any razor. Cut a half-moon slit from one back leg to the other between the 'hole and tail and gently cut a vertabra in the tail and stand on the tail and pull up. Grab the "belly-skin" and pull up while standing on the tail. Use the knife to "snap the bone in each front leg and the neck. Cut each side of the pelvis and slit the belly and chest cavity and pull out the guts from a$$hole to appetite. Snap back leg bones as above and pitch carcus in a pan of salt-water.

Tales about 5 minutes to do a half-dozen head-shot "tree rats"...merlyn...

11. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I've tried several methods and find the standing on the tail the easiest. I also carry a small pair of wire cutters. The wire cutters make short work of cutting the leg bones.

Jim

12. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

The only difference between a squirrel and a big rat is they can jump fudder. Who wants to eat a rat?

13. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Squirrel brains and eges, yum - yum.

14. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Halfmile has it right. Real quick and easy. I think the tails are still to be sold for fishing baits. You have to leave the bone in. I pulled the bone out and they would not take them. They are tasty............Nubs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

squirrel skinning middle