1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Squirrel hunting with a suppressed 10-22T.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Several months ago I had Mike at Tornado Technologies shorten my 10-22T barrel to 16-3/4" and thread it. Why that length? Because it just clears the milled flat on the underside of the barrel for the safety warning drivel. You can just barely see the flat in the second photo.

While this improved the balance and handling for me by reducing the weight, that was not the goal. It was to turn the gun into a suppressor host.

My federal tax stamp arrived a couple of weeks ago (after a six month wait), so I was able to pick up the suppressor and take it hunting on vacation, inbetween white water rafting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The suppressor is a small, lightweight Aviator model by Advanced Armament Corp (AAC). It's made for 22 LR only, it's 1" in diameter, 6.25" long, weighs 4.2 oz, and has 39 db of noise reduction.

The 10-22T comes with a 20" barrel. As I said, it was cut to 16.75". With the 6.25" suppressor installed, length is 22.75". If the barrel hadn't been shortened, the length would have been 26". Now you know why I had it shortened. And even though the suppressor is longer than the cut off section of barrel, it's still lighter. The gun balances quite well.

How does it work? Quite well.

Ever see squirrels and other critters get spooked by muzzle report or the crack of a supersonic bullet going by them? Not an issue with this setup.

The report with CCI Sub-sonic 22 LR 40gr hollow points is very low, about like that of an average high power pellet rifle, or a Crosman 760 pumped up about 8 times. Remington makes an identical version. It was very slightly louder than the CCI. You can also hear the bolt clacking in the gun. (A synthetic bolt stop may reduce that a bit. Will have to order one.)

There is no sonic crack with this ammo. Unless you make a ground strike close to them and kick up dirt, they have no clue you're shooting at them if you miss. This makes follow up shots less rushed, because they don't spook and take a dive or run off.

The suppressor also works with high velocity ammo, BUT, the bullets are supersonic, and the sonic crack (sonic boom) they make is almost as loud as the unsuppressed muzzle blast. I shot at one gray digger (California ground squirrel) sitting on a 6x6 fence post. Because there was no muzzle report, I could hear the sonic crack being reflected back off of each fence post the bullet passed. It was like playing cards in bike spokes.

How well do these bullets kill? Performance is definitely less than the high and hyper velocity 22 LR loads. It's a good thing they're designed with a large hollow point - they need it. More than once a fast follow up shot had to be made, but this was easy thanks to another feature of the suppressor.... it acts like a very efficient muzzle brake. Double taps were easy.

These subsonic loads also cycle the 10-22T just fine.At least they do with the suppressor. I did not try them without it. It's been said that suppressors can act as a booster for semi-autos, but I don't know if the 22 LR has enough gas for that to work in this case.

I've been shooting so much 223 lately that I'm rusty on the 22 LR trajectory, but got used to it real quick. The scope is an old Leupold Vari-X II 4-12 40mm AO. I'd like to get the same scope in a matte finish with an elevation target knob so I can change POI for the various 22 ammo I'm using.

I'm planning on taking this setup when sage rat hunting next year. There are some properties that want the rats gone near the ranch buildings, but don't like the noise factor. This might gain me some access to normally off limits areas.

Next step is to get a semi-auto 22 handgun with a threaded muzzle. Results should be similar, since the shorter barrel reduces velocity even more. In fact, the cheap high velocity ammo should be reduced enough in velocity that it shouldn't have a sonic crack, unlike when it is shot in a rifle.

2. Brian in Oregon

I really do enjoy hunting. That was the reason I originally started trapshooting. I couldn't hit the ocean from a rowboat with a shotgun for aerial targets, though I was doing OK for tactical matches using a shotgun like a rifle. Never realized until I learned it here that I had bad crossfiring from opposite eye dominance. I'm not shooting registered, but nevertheless I enjoy trapshooting and sporting clays.

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Brian,

I was surfing some time back and ran across "Mob Guns". They had a Beretta Mod. 21...22lr, with a supressor on it. Not for what you want, but what a bad looking setup.

JON

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Here's my setup. Right now its for night predator work...
    [​IMG]

5. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

My shooting buddy has a set up just like yours man its a blast!! several years ago (60's) a guy who worked with my dad threaded a 22-250 barrel for someone to shoot ground hogs with, less than a week later the FBI came into the shop, pulled the guy out, and needless to say.. he didnt thread any more barrels..lol.

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Blkcloud what did the guy do that was illegal? Just threading a barrel shouldn't have gotten him in hot water.

Jim

7. Lobo

Lobo TS Member

In lots of Europe it is considered rude to shoot a noisy non suppressed gun. Missouri just cleared us a couple of years ago. I would like to hear more experiences with the supressors before I spend tax money on a mistake. I was hoping the standard velocity sub sonic 22 would work adequately for squirrels. My M11 9mm is another of those calibers that easily loads on either side of the velocity. My leftover from the Class III days. Not practical for anything, but fun.

8. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Jim that's all he did.. maybe back then you were not allow to have any threaded attachments.. my dad and I have ran a machine shop for 25 plus years.. several people have come in and wanted to install "flash suppressors" and wanted us to thread the barrel.. dad would always tell me the same story and we never threaded any..

9. BAP

BAP TS Member

I have a suppressed 77-22 and it is super quiet. All you here is the firing pin fal and the bullet when it strikes something. It's illegal for hunting in Alabama though.

10. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

It's probably illegal for hunting in most states even for varmints. Don't give PITA any ammo against us. AJ

ADD: "Washington may allow ownership of a firearm silencer, but using one is prohibited by RCW 9.41.250(3) which makes it a gross misdemeanor to “Use any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm.”

11. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I'm not sure, but I think silencers or suppressors are illegal to hunt with in Indiana.

12. Brian in Oregon

Note: Suppressors are perfectly legal to hunt with in Oregon.

And I don't care what "PITA" (you mean PETA?) thinks about any LEGAL activity I engage in.

Also, there are no laws against threading barrels, subject to the provisions of 922r for some imported firearms, and some state laws concerning "assault weapons" and handguns. My understanding is threaded handgun barrels are banned in California, but I've never looked that up.

And yeah, the Washington law is screwy. Apparently you can shoot a suppressor in Washington state only on tribal lands.

And yes, while firearms are restricted in some European countries, suppressors can often be purchased over the counter. Used to be that way here too, prior to 1934. At one time Maxim even made suppressors for trap guns.

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Hi Brian,

I would love to have a rifle like yours but it requires a signature from our local sheriff to have one and he won't sign for it. He doesn't feel we have any legitimite use for one. Oh well, if I can find a supressor I will then try to find someone to do the machine work for me. LOL Jackie B.

14. Brian in Oregon

Jackie, I've fought that problem here too. I was the last of four people to get a CLEO signoff earlier this year. I do not know what the current status is, meaning if I can get a signoff for an SBR and another suppressor.

There are alternative options. One is to incorporate. Corporations do not have fingerprinting, passport photo, or background checks done because they are not a person. You could incorporate and go this route. Drawback is that you have to create a corporation, follow all the rules for one, and in some states pay minimum corporate tax.

Another way is with a trust. These need to be done correctly, but the cenario is similar to corporations.

Myself I prefer to get a CLEO signoff. But if they keep dicking around with them here like in years past, I'll probably go the trust route and turn my nose up at them. Oregon just raised the min corp tax, so I really don't want to incorporate.

15. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of me in the UK after taking a Roe buck. About a two kilometer walk to stalk it and then a 75 yard shot to the head.

The rifle is a Tikka in .243 with a T8 suppressor on it (suppressor returns up the barrel about four inches from the threads). Scope is a Trijicon 56mm illuminated. I built the rifle here (shortened & threaded barrel - 22", scope added) and then took it to the UK where we installed the suppressor.

Group size actually improved with the suppressor. Typically we go for head/neck shots out to 250 yards, then move to the chest beyond that, unless the rest is rock solid.

I've taken in the area of 200 deer in the UK (not all with this rifle, but most), mostly one shot kills (hit them in the gear box and they drop).

LOVE the suppressor - no need for ear protection - does not scare other animals away so you sometimes can shoot more than one deer (see below). This is five of six deer shot in fifteen minutes (three of them in under thirty seconds) - sixth one is hanging on a gutting rig out of sight.

[​IMG]

I did make the mistake of going hunting in Missouri this past fall with a 300 Weatherby Mag (Sako TRG-S). Deer at about 100 yards in a lovely stand with a large, overhanging roof. Rifle has a muzzle brake... I put it out of the window, still under the roof (yes, you know where this is going...) and forgot to put in my earplugs before pulling the trigger. Sure miss the suppressor...

Deer went down and so did I. I am amazed I didn't drop the rifle out of the tower - dust and spider webs went flying. My ears rang for the rest of the day...

Here is a nice Fallow deer taken with the Tikka

[​IMG]

Here are some of the better Roe antlers I've taken over the years
    [​IMG]

16. Brian in Oregon

HSLDS, for a country than is quite restrictive on firearms, it's interesting how they embrace suppressor ownership. It's almost considered a courtesy to landowners and others to use a suppressor while hunting.

17. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Brain,

Oh so true... Getting the firearms permit was surprisingly easy (have one for shotguns too).

They do try to limit access to ammo (I'm allowed two hundred rounds for each rifle - except my 22 & 17HMR - for those I can have 500).

Noticed that there is a Muntjac head on the table with the Roe antlers...

David D

18. Brian in Oregon

Fortunately we do not have restrictions on the amount of ammo we can possess. I used to buy .22 ammo by the 5,000 round case, and rarely had less than three cases on hand. I shot a LOT of .22 back in the 1980's.

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Why a suppressor on a .22? The farmers in my neck of the woods didn't like us using any single projectile gun in the timbers near their pigs and cattle so we were forced to use .410. Not the best but the only way we could get permission.

I've killed hundreds of squirrels and the report of the gun didn't seem to spook the next squirrel a bit. They sometimes even came over to see what the hell was going on. We used Savage/Stevens Model 311's because they were the quietest shotguns in the timber. No ejectors, automatic safeties and no noise when the safety was slid forward.

I tried a Mod. 42 Winchester pump just once. The racking of the pump almost always made the other squirrels either scatter or freeze. So, why the suppressor? Just asking not criticizing.

20. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Another trick for squirrels in the woods is a sling shot...

When a squirrel hides behind a tree just shoot a rock into the trees just past the squirrel's perch. The noise will scare him and he should quickly come around to your side...

Two quarters rubbed together on their edges works to, but you don't have free hands...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
hunting squirrels with suppressed 22lr mississippi
hunting squirrels with suppressor

small 22 suppressor

squirrel gun with silencer

squirrel hunting suppressor

squirrel hunting with suppressor
squirrel hunting with supressors
suppressed squirrel rifles