1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Squirrel Call ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 4EVRYOUNG, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

Anybody have one to sell have they used one with any success, I just need information and idea's.

Thanks Jeff

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Ya don't need anything special to make a squirrel call, or any special talent to use one. Just sit beside a tree, camoflaged fairly well, and act like a nut. Some on here should be covered with squirrels in minutes.

GneJ

3. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

That's a good one Hippie!!!!

They sorta work. Depends if the "limb rat" knows you're there. When mating season in on, the calls work real good. As with all male species, they have sex on their mind most of time!

Rod

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Dad taught me to lick the back of your hand and shake it while making a kissing noise...dont over do it and it will bring them out to check out whos muscleing in on their turf...then pop them with a 22 short and repeat until your bag is full

5. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

When I bow hunted whitetails the squirrells always came to see me, know when I hunt them they are hard to find. Typical my luck they know what I am hunting.

Jeff

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

You have to get up in the trees. I noticed the same when deer hunting. I have had them climb up the tree next to me, 10 feet away trying to figure out what I was. Sitting on the ground, they are not so curious.

The bark and cry call will get them to come out but they usually will sit tight until they see the squirrel making the noise. Bring a Squirrel tail with you up in the tree. Make the call and shake the tail back and forth. That will get them moving and even answering you back. Keep your eyes peeled for hawks. They will dive at you trust me.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I scratch a quarter with another quarter. Surround the edge of one with the fore finger and thumb on one hand and scratch it with the other like a guitar pick in the other. Works good on greys that know your there and are hiding. They just gotta look. Kapow!

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I tried the rubbing quarters together trick. No response.

Then bought a Haydel's SP-05 Squirrel Pack. Only used it on two trips, with mixed results. Too soon to tell. Had better response with the plastic caller than the round metal disc. Will try again next season.

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Take a dog with you. They will come out to bark at the dog, can't help themselves. Bag limit by 10 o'clock.

Wayne

10. shadow

shadow Active Member

Shake a box 1/2 full of penny matches. As good as any !

11. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Just show em' your nuts!

12. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

BigBadBob,
    It is normally cold when I go they better have REAL Good eyes to see them things.

I will look at Hydels thanks Brian.

13. dhip

dhip Active Member

Seems at one time I heard someone say they used a wet cork with a small piece of glass ,rubbing the cork in a way to imitate one of their calls.

Doug H.

14. Robb

Robb Member

I have a PS Olt model B-10 that really works. When he's hiding on the wrong side of the limb a couple of chirps and he will look right at you.

15. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

The Hydels calls look good but they want to ship UPS and cast more to ship then the call anyone aware if they will mail them if you call small flat rate box would be much cheaper.

16. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Active Member

Ever try an acorn decoy? How squirrel-in-heat spray? How about dominant squirrel spray?

This is fun.LOL

17. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

When i was a kid we took an empty vanilla bottle - but I suppose any flat sided bottle would work - and rub the side with a cork. You might lick the cork first...

18. Barry C. Roach

Brian. I guess Southern Illinois squirrels are more money oriented. I would expect a grungey NWern squirrel to be more attracted to scraping a Starbuck's coffee can with the top of venti latte lid or a crappy Cobane tune.

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Hmmm, could be. They like hazelnuts (filberts) too.

The squirrels on the west side of the state often run up as far as they can into trees, often Douglas Fir. It can be difficult to even see them way up in the tree, as they'll get on top of a thick branch and hide above it.

On the east side, the Silver Gray squirrels, which are a game species, will often jump down and run many yards at top speed to their "home" tree and climb it as fast as they can. You need to be awfully fast with a shotgun for them. I've never seen one be still long enough during hunting season to hit with a rifle.

The non-game pest squirrel, the gray digger (offically called the California Ground Squirrel) usually hesitates, then runs to his underground burrow. The young ones will sometimes get overenthusiastic with their warning calls, a fatal mistake. We gun as many of these skwerls down as possible, because they are encroaching on the Silver Gray territory, and are displacing them. these are my most often hunted varmint, since the first stand is only 65 miles from the house.

20. Barry C. Roach

We just have two kinds. Grays and Fox. Grays are smaller and smarter than the Fox. For some reason the better eatin' Fox are scarcer these days. Some Fox squirrels are so dumb you don't need to call them. Wait long enough and they'll find you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.