1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

squib loads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by capvan, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

I just set up a new progressive loader. So there I was, happily loading shells at a faster rate than ever before. I looked up and...powder was gone. Whoops. I know to check my barrel if I get any "blooper" loads, but is there anything else I should be aware of? I "think" I caught the problem shells, but I'm not sure. I tried weighing the shells, but my scale wasn't sensitive enough to show missing powder. The crimps all look normal. Maybe I don't have a problem, but...
    Thanks
    Bruce

2. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

carry a wad knocker,and be careful if your shooting doubles with pump or semi auto.ebay has cheap digital scales that weigh over 500 grains for future problems,good back up,be safe.mark

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

4. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

someone made an alarm for thatpurpose. I think it was P/W. You could easily make one with a small 9 volt battery and a buzzer from radio shack and a piece of rod into the powder. I don;t think it would be very difficult.

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I know that Dillion offers a "low powder alarm" for their reloaders.

If you use some of the bulkier powders out there, it would be pretty obvious if one is missing powder.

The one thing that I've learned about reloading, is that your ears are just as important as your eyes!

ec90t

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Why not "candle" those shells?

A simple set up for any suspect loads is easy. I use it on any that might have no powder or possible cocked wads.

A small box with a 2 1/2" x 3/4" slot cut in it and a 100 watt bulb ... almost like an Xray of the insides. ( does not work on paper hulls or black. )

7. capvan

capvan Active Member

"Candleing" these shells worked great! What a fantastic idea! I truly thank you for this. I even made up a shell (clearly marked) with no powder. Shows up instantly! Thank you, thank you, thank you....

Bruce

8. Ray Zeilinger

Ray Zeilinger Member

I had a problem with my dl366 loader where the powder shut-off spring detent didn't engage properly. had between 5 and 10 percent "bloopers". the powder shutoff was traveling with the charge bar. fixed that and went back and "candled" the shells that were left. IT WORKED GREAT. I found all of the shells that had no powder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.