1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Squib Load 45 ACP

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

This got lost in the shuffle, so I'm reposting:

I know some of you guys shoot handguns.

Though I'd share this personal note with you. This is not from an e-mail I got from someone who got it from someone who got it from someone else. This happened to me yesterday. That's my hand in the photo.

I'm a pretty safe guy, and I follow the well-established firearms safety rules strictly.

Here's a safety warning. Be careful. Be safe. Pay attention to what you're doing. Could save your life or the life of someone near you.

Yesterday afternoon I was at the range shooting my .45 ACP handgun.

I had one cartridge where I the report did not sound "right," the recoil didn't feel right, and I felt a lot of debris hit my face (seemed like powder residue.)

I also did not see any evidence of a bullet strike on the target paper.

The round had enough energy to cycle the action, and a new cartridge was loaded into the chamber.

Since things didn't seem right, clever boy that I am, I stopped everything, unloaded the gun (both the magazine and the chamber), and took a look.

What I found was that the bullet had not exited the barrel, but was lodged about a half inch from the muzzle.

I found the cartridge casing on the ground nearby, and it looked normal, except that the primer was pierced.

Had I not noticed the lodged bullet, the consequences of what would have happened had I just continued on and taken another shot could have been disastrous.

Took an extra 10 seconds to unload the gun and check. It was worth it.

Took a hammer and a punch to get the bullet out.

FYI, this was factory WOLF brand ammo. I've used this ammo a lot, and other than being dirty, it performs well. Never a problem until this time.

[​IMG]

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Casing
    [​IMG]

3. front242

front242 Member

Tim,

Glad you had the sense to take a look before proceeding. Wow. The local indoor range absolutely prohibits any Wolf ammo. I was never sure why. Maybe they've seen this type of thing before.

Tim
    F242

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Good on ya, Tim. Circumstances have left me no where but an outdoor public range for some metalic cartridge shooting with the grandboys and I cringe to see what goes on down there. The other day there was a nimrod shooting, very poorly by the way, a borrowed .45 ACP autoloader emptying magazines in 4 seconds or so, raining cases on us with no thought of neighbors and I constantly cringed at the possibility of his having your squib load and no sense to handle it safely.....Bob Dodd

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Amazing that the gun cycled. Glad you caught it before sending another round down the tube. Just out of curiousity, was that a berdan primed case and if so can you tell if one or both of the flash holes was plugged?

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Wolfram,

These are boxer primed cases with a single flash hole.

I had not thought to check the condition of the flash hole, but will take a look tonight when I get home.

7. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

I would suggest handloads and stay away from the cheap crap. As you can see, not such a good deal. As a former IPSC shooter and Chief Range Officer, I have had to stop more than one person from following up after a squib load. Even had to grab a guys arm once to stop him. Pretty intense.

8. MR.ohiogal

MR.ohiogal TS Member

A friend of mine has had this happen before with his 9mm and reloads. The bullet was stuck in the barrel and some loose powder around. It seemed to be the batch of primers he had at the time, for it happened more than once. He destoyed the primers, got a different lot and has not had a repeat since. He is a very good handloader and checks his loads often,so it can happen to anyone, factory or handloaded ammo. Pays to be careful, esp. when something doesn't feel right, good instincts timb99.

Have fun, be cautious,
    Jeff

9. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

You are very lucky. During the rapid fire stage of a .45 Bullseye match, many years ago, I had a squib that cycled the gun and chambered a fresh round.

I now have a Colt Gold Cup Barrel, which looks like a snake that swallowed a pig, as a souvenir.

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Wolf ammo..no way in any of my guns even like the cheap pos.

11. KRK32

KRK32 Member

From Russia with Love.

12. cpd544

cpd544 Member

What brand of handgun is that?

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Wolfram

I checked the flash hole on the cartridge casing.

One hole, and it was clear.

Steve Mainus,

Noted about handloads, but I shoot handguns so seldom, I just can't justify buying all the reloading stuff for a cartridge I'll shoot 400-500 rounds a year.

cpd544,

Cheapo. Too embarrassed to actually divulge the brand name.

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Well I guess we chalk it up to a defective primer and be happy that your shooting hand is still intact. Thats a new one to me and I have shot a lot of pistol rounds. S__t happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

45 acp squib loads

squib loads for 45 colt