1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Square Deal .45 acp info?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike K P, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I would appreciate any input on this particular press. I'm looking for a good press that will put out quality .45 acp loads. I've loaded thousands of shotshells but am new to metallic reloading. Is this a good first one other than something like a Lee single stage? Thanks, Mike.

2. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

The Dillon SDB is a great press if you are looking to a)load only handgun ammo, and b) plan on loading mostly one caliber. I have one I use primarily for 45 ACP, but I also have dies for 9mm. Its not the quickest or easiest to change dies, and standard reloading dies wont work wotk this press. That being said..... Its easy to use, and will crank out alot of ammo in a short time....really consistant. And Dillon has one of the best warranty/customer service in the business. I dont think you'll be disappointed.
    Mike

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Why not just spend a few more bucks and get the Dillon 550? Much more versatile, easy to change calibers via toolheads. Then you are set to reload anything that may strike your fancy down the road. Might be really neat to have the square deal and a 550 for later on?

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Probably the best deal in metallic reloading press's right now is the Hornady LNL auto progressive. Price is under $400 and you get 1,000 bullets free, thats about $200 in bullets.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The square deal is just that. If you don't have plans to load a bunch of other calibers get the SDB. This is perhaps the best way to get into loading pistol ammo. Ammo quality and quantity will meet your needs and then some. Pretty much a zero risk deal for you, Dillon will keep you in no charge repair parts if you ever need them and if you loose intrest or want to upgrade you will be able to sell the machine for about what you paid for it.

If you don't have a decent scale in your shotshell loading operation, get one of those from Dillon as well.

Have a blast

6. Heckyea

Heckyea TS Member

Dillon makes nice metalic reloaders but have been advised to stay away from the shot shell reloader. I use an RL 550. Simply wonderful.
    Ron Z.

7. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Member

I just picked up a used one from a fellow club member. I love it. The press will spit out a bunch of shells in short order. It came with dies and toolheads for .38 and .44. Caliber change is not a big deal with extra toolheads. I bought one when I ordered my .45acp dies. Look for a used one. I got mine for $125.00 with over $150.00 worth of extras. Dillon customer service has been GREAT with me.

8. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I have a Square Deal and I love it. It churns out perfect rounds and is progressive, not like the 550 which is manual advance. I bought it used for a great price, set up for 38/357. It costs about $90 to change to 45 if you buy the tool head.

The only complaint is that the Square Deal uses proprietary Dillon dies so my sets of RCBS dies are useless.

I also have Dillon's SL900 shot shell press and that is a very satisfactory machine. Then there is Dillon's legendary service and no BS warranty.

9. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

If you only need a couple hundred rounds an hour (or week) then you might want to look at the Lee Classic Turret. It is not a progressive but it does auto advance the turret and with 4 yanks on the handle you get a loaded round all for less than $175.00 set up.

Changing calibers in way less than a minute and you can load rifle ammo too.

If you have the bucks buy the Dillon progressive or Hornady Lock and Load (best value in a progressive right now)

tom

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Well it sounds like Mike has a bunch of time making shotshells so the learning curve on the SDB shouldn't be an issue, Dillon also supplies very good instructions with their machines. When it comes to safety, the Dillon SDB has the edge on the single stages because the shells advance after charging. (no double charges to look for). I know several guys that got into loading pistol rounds with the SDB having zero loading experience and they all managed to make good safe ammo on their first try.

11. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

We have a Dillion 650 in .45 ACP and it is an outstanding unit. You will be loading a lot of ammunition in a short period of time. If you have any questions feel free to write. Michael and Jane

12. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

It's an excellent choice. But do give the Dillon 550B some thought. Have you loaded shotshells on a progressive? The actual operation isn't much different between the SDB and the 550B, and I respectfully disagree with Fred, that you would best avoid a progressive. You have complete control with a 550B, and you can "single-stage" load on it forever if you want. Think of the 550B as a single-stage loader that's faster than say a Lee or RCBS single-station press, but which also has the progressive option when you want to use it. When you choose to go into progressive mode, you still manually move the turret each time, at your own speed. My advice for 550B users is to tape a simple note on the front: "pull, prime, turn, case, bullet." If you always follow that sequence, and don't run the powder hopper dry, it's fail-safe. If you think that .45 ACP is the only pistol cartridge you'll ever load, then definitely get a SDB, you'll love it. If you might someday want to load other cartridges, consider a 550B instead. Either is a never-regret purchase. Phil E

13. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I really appreciate all the great information. it has really helped. Thanks, Mike.

14. curly1946

curly1946 TS Member

If every co. in the world was like dillon,this would be a great world. The best hands down. Buy a dillon and your set for life. Denny Ridenour

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.