1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SQUAD TEMPO ?!?!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jfan517, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfan517

jfan517 Member

What type of Squad tempo to you prefer? Myself, I prefer the moderate to faster shooting squads, it seems I have less than to allow my mind to wander off on to something completeing meaningless.

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I like a medium speed. Just like you if it is too slow I find it distracting and if it is too fast that it really distracting.

Better yet how about that one shooter that throws the entire tempo off every time it is his/her turn.

Bryan

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I prefer the squads where the other shooters aren't worried about the tempo and are focused on shooting. If I want to take longer to setup and call for my bird then I will, I don't really care if the guys around me like it or not.

4. yendor12

yendor12 Member

Amen Rich219, I like a fast tempo, but if one or two on the squad is slower than the rest that's ok too, I have to learn to adjust and shoot in all conditions, (rain, wind, sleet and so on). My wife is a very slow shooter because of her mounting the gun properly each time, and she complains about faster shooter like me also, so it goes both ways.
    What does bother me is when a shooter is late to the squad, or they are wild with their gun on the line loaded. When I have to break concentration to step back in a partial run, now I worry about getting shot.
    Not everyone is the same...squad up with people you know, but please do not complain out loud and be rude to the slower shooter. This has happen with my wife several times over the years and it is very rude. Suck it up and deal with it like paying taxes...you just can't control it.
    Rod

5. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

OK, I'm going to combine a couple of responses as they perfectly describe me.

From Rich219:

I prefer the squads where the other shooters aren't worried about the tempo and are focused on shooting. If I want to take longer to setup and call for my bird then I will, I don't really care if the guys around me like it or not.

From Yendor:

Not everyone is the same...squad up with people you know, but please do not complain out loud and be rude to the slower shooter. This has happen with my wife several times over the years and it is very rude. Suck it up and deal with it like paying taxes...you just can't control it.

Doda:

Yes, these other trap shooters who complain all the time about others are A-Holes.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I prefer a quick moving smooth flowing squad. I usually shoot with a group that shoot this way. That said i enjoy shooting period and i'll adjust to suit the mood. If you hear bitch'n from me at the Trap field on anything i'll welcome you to put me in my place. Its entertainment for me. The day it gets so serious that i speak an unsolicited negative word to anyone on the Trap field its time to move on. Most people that actually know me, can understand why this won't happen.

Matt

7. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

What Rich219 said is fine with me too!!....Uncle Sam, Pa.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Steady, not to fast, not to slow, but steady and ready .... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. Strait Shooter

Strait Shooter Member

The next time you're at a big registered shoot , pick out a good AA or AAA squad and time them between shots. I think you'll find that the good ones take approximately 3 ,yes three seconds between shots.Pretty simple , just count one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three.You'll find that there are very few that go to one thousand four between guns going off.

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I like a squad on the faster side of medium, if that makes any sense.....I always shoot better under those conditions...having one or worse 2 sloooow shooters messes with my head...character flaw I guess....

11. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I used to like a somewhat quick moving squad about 30 years ago. Then I got older and developed heart and other problems. At the big shoots I need a ride. I'm a little slower moving from trap to trap and on hot days I need to catch my breath. Most of you are kind in recognizing this and I appreciate it. To the others I'd like to remind you that I was young once and was in good shape. So what would your comments be if your dad was shooting with you?

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I like shooting a regualar squad where each member is consistant in his set up and timing, without excessive delays, or fast calls that do not allow the trap to reset.

Someone that calls too fast can also be a distraction. Guys that are all over the place are the worst. No offence to seniors or anyone that chooses to take all the time they want.

13. jfan517

jfan517 Member

I think I need to clarify, This thread wasn't started or intended for negative response towards our fellow trapshooters. I would certain HOPE none of you out there would ever critize a War Vet., an older person, a woman, a handicap person or any other shooter for being slow/fast. This was only intended for get your opinions of squad tempo, to be honest I was just curious to know what others thought. I agree with many of the responses, but I just don't want this to turn into a bashing session towards our trapshooting friends.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

" just don't want this to turn into a bashing session to our trapshooting friends."

LOL Thats funny. If you've been on here very long you ought to know that will happen everytime no matter the subject. I don't care if you said the sky was Blue, you'd have 3 guys that swore on their lives that it was Navy or Teal.

Matt

15. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm an old fuddy-duddy age 70 but I like a medium to slower squad. I DON'T like shooting with those who reload & close their gun immediately after their turn & then stand there with a loaded gun while 3 or 4 others take their turn, (I know it's supposedly pointed safely). It still takes the trap 2&1\2 to 3 seconds to cycle & reset that's a gracious plenty of time to drop in a shell & close the action plus much safer. I am also a scorekeeper (puller) and if you have never had a shooter have a heart attack right in front of you with a loaded gun (I have & thankfully it was a SBT but not closed) count yourself lucky. After I changed my underwear I started watching those who did & don't squad with them anymore. I also shoot with a vet who lost a leg so I'm 100% with doda on his opinion. I also love helping the jrs. 10-11--12-- yr. olds they all have good instructors (or parents)& are very safety oriented, sometimes their 20ga. 1100s are taller than they are, but they sure do have fun & we make sure that they all get praised for something. Just my feelings---Ross Puls

16. capulona

capulona TS Member

This may be the reason my son and I do not renew membership in our club. People are just way too uptight. Lighten up - let's put the fun back into shooting.

17. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I couldn't care less about the tempo. Fast, slow, variable...doesn't matter. I stand motionless with my gun empty until it's my turn to shoot. I expect the shooter after me to show me the same regard. The more the person on my right squirms, wiggles, dances and false-mounts.....the more time I take.

18. 870compman

870compman TS Member

I have noticed that if I squad with more experienced shooters the squad goes faster. And as the saying goes, "If you want to be the best shoot with the best."

Dale Wolff

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Ahhhh.... You'll want to squad with me... I load my gun while the squad shoots and then when it comes my turn, I set the trigger with the gun slightly open and then close the gun and mount the gun and call for the bird. So, if you are a nervous Norvis type you may want to go shoot elsewhere. My fave trigger set can be heard right thru your ear plugs. Make sure you listen for the CLICK!

You guys and your quirks make me smile and chuckle. And Ross, yes... We just took a vote and have voted you into the "old fuddy-duddy" class of 2011... I'll move over and make room for ya. Lucky for us we have about a one-to-one ratio of those coming in and those moving on... But it always seems there is not enough chairs.

Keep shootin...

Jack

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Only two questions. Are you talking practice or registered?? If registered, why is it the responsibility of the regular or faster shooter only to change?

Practice shouldn't make any difference.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.