1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Squad Shooting Pace

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OneShooter, Jun 24, 2013.

1. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

Recently, I've noticed that if I shoot with people who have a very quick squad rhythm and my scores go down. But when I shoot with a squad that has a slower squad rhythm, my scores go up. Does anyone have a way to ignore squad rhythm so I do everything slower? Ie: something mental, waiting for them to break the bird before mounting gun, etc.

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

It usually comes with practice. Try not to squad with experienced shooters if the pace bothers you. They will probably appreciate it, too. Mark

3. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I shoot with same squad most of the time. Our timing is nearly clock work. Each shooter calls for a target right AFTER the machine is cocked. Scores are better when you are all paced the same. If we get a slow shooter on a squad it hurts the scores. If we get a slow shooter on our squad you really have to just focus on your own process and forget about all the other shooter is doing. I would think its the same the other way around.

4. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Sunday i got on squad with new hunters, who neather knew the game or a gun, this helps my score about as well as when i call for the bird and the trap kid is daydreaming,......Pull......PULL!.....Miss!....arrrr!

5. yhc

yhc Member

I get distracted when we have a member or two who would talk non-stop.

6. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

I try to be the first shooter on the squad. I shoot slower and more deliberate then most. After I shoot, the rest of the squad can shoot as fast as they want. It works for me....

7. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I shot on many squads of different shooters. I had to do this often because of my work schedule. My suggestion is to only worry about the shooter ahead of you, be ready when he is done shooting. Shoot your pace at that time. Block the others out by mentally concentrating on your next shot. When you block other shooters out and concentrate on your own shooting your scores will improve. I never heard a great shooter complain he missed a target because of the shooters he was with. I did however have other shooters complain they missed targets only because of the squad they were on (and many other excuses).

Joe

8. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

To people who say shoot with the same squad - I'd love to do that but my belief is that if you're used to shooting with different people, than you don't have to worry about being with the same people. But is there anything you say mentally to slow yourself down if you notice you are rushing yourself?

9. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Sing the Happy Birthday song to yourself. :) Mark

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If you tend to shoot one way and most others shoot another... don't worry - at some point you'll find yourself shooting by yourself or with folks you find not conducive to your shooting style.

Folks like to shoot with folks more like themselves. Find a group of those folks. Can't get your head in the game, work on your pre-shoot routine.

However, if you watch the better shooters, their pre-shoot routine is efficient - you may equate that to fast - it's just that they know exactly what they're doing... no wasted energy or distractions...

Jay

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

There are slow shooters and then there are really slow shooters. We as a squad make sure to have someone who fills an open spot that fits our "rhythm". You may not like fast shooters but I don't like slow shooters, so I guess that makes us equal in a sense.

No brain wander just shoot, eject, get a shell, reload and shoot again. Just keep doing it over and over. It is not unusual for us to shoot a round in under 10 min. You would not be happy on our squad.

Don

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Many shooters find just the opposite which is the fast yet smooth pace helps their scores go up. Probably less time for the mind to wander.

I personally like the quick pace and usually I get squadded with shooters of similar preferences.

The worst is the 'flat spot on the wheel' which is one person that takes an exorbinate amount of time to get a shot off. Takes a lot of enjoyment out of the round.

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I'm a deliberate shooter. I don't like machinegun shooting. And, as I'm paying the shooting bill, I will shoot as deliberate as I desire. You hear that "Big Don?" You would really whine shooting with me....

14. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

Don, the problem is I don't enough people in ATA to get a constant squad, so I just shoot wherever available.

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

One...

Can I ask... why is it you feel rushed?! After 4 folks who've shot are you just not ready to close your action or are you unable to get ready to close your action in that amount of time?

Everyone is different... you're entitled to take as much time as is reasonable and if you need to take longer you'll find a group a folks who are fine with that... but, if it's a "routine" matter, possibly consider having someone assess your pre-shoot routine on the line and maybe they can see something standing apart from your perspective...

Just another $0.02,

Jay

16. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

spitter, it comes from the fact that I don't want to make angry shooters who shoot very quickly. It makes it worse -for me at least- that I'm a younger shooter who's just trying to shoot well without causing bad relations with other shooters. (P.S. if it sounds like I want sympathy, it isn't that way. I understand I need to grow up and get over it haha.) Also, sometimes I wish I didn't have to close my shotgun because I'm running them straight on the last 10 birds out of 100. Then I just want it to end!

Ron

17. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

410 it would only happen once. It sounds like you like being the flat spot on the wheel. I also pay my money and I don't have to shoot with you. I suggest you find four other skeeters to shoot with as trappers don't make a social event out of a round.

Slow has their choice and fast has their choice so live with it. I have seen one slow shooter back up a field by 4 squads by the time we got to the 4 th house. This was at the Grand and those behinds us were complaining loudly. The next day we saw the same guy walking towards our starting field and we all agreed that if he was on our squad we would all go re-squad and pay the fee. There was a shooter from Texas who shot with us the 1st day who told the man when we were done that he hoped he never saw him again.

Don

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The right speed is important. It allows the squad to read the trap and get the targets they like to shoot. HMB

19. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

If I have a slow shooter or two before me,It kills my scores. If you have to shoot slow,try to get a slow squad together. If you notice,the elite shooters have their own squad, which keeps a consistent pace for a good rhythm. I got in a slow squad at the Sparta grand which backed up everyone. It was 98 degrees out and a half hour extra in the sun really got me. I wish I was good enough to have my own squad.

Clyde

20. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Hello,

You want to shoot on a fast squad? Jump on one that Terry Dean is on and hold onto your hat......

Once they start that train rolling it is amazing how quick they can smokem....

FRedmon

Search tags for this page

trap shooting squad pace

trapshooting squad timing
trapshooting squads