1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sprint Cup Daytona Testing

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blade819, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I have been watching Daytona testing for the past 2 days and it looks like a fast race this year on former restrictor plate tracks. They went to fuel injection with a different spoiler and rear bumper height to try to eliminate two car drafting. It seems that the single cars are going as fast as two cars in the draft. Top speed is around 205mph. Thius may be exciting in the middle of february.

blade819

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

That new rear bumper height sounds like trouble. It won't stop some of the crazies from trying it anyway.

3. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

The bumper heigth apparently is causing some motor heating problems for the car behind for more than a few minutes. Top speed is 206mph.

blade819

4. dkarre

dkarre TS Member

Nascar made a point this year to speed up single car runs to make qualifying faster....however they are doing absolutely everything to keep the cars from hooking up. We went from a 5 gallon radiator to a 2 gallon radiator with a half gallon catch can, eliminated multiple team team communication, shortend the rear spoiler, etc etc. I don't believe that fuel injection is gonna make much of a difference that you will see it just costs the race teams on average 15-20,000 more per engine once you add the cost of R&D they have been doing for 5 years. I wish they would go back to the wicker package the cars had back in 2001 and be done with it

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

The first time these cars reached 200+ they came out with the restrictor plate to slow them down for safety sake and to bring the cars together for some closer racing. Now they want to speed them up to separate them.

I like to watch NASCAR but I still feel dirt is for racing and asphalt is for getting to the race track.

P.S. My favorite NASCAR driver is still "Mr. September"....Harry Gant in the #33 Skoal Bandit.

6. windyflat

windyflat Member

Was It Richmond that Harry won with the front of the car torn off? Have not found a driver I really care for since he retired.

Checked youtube... its was Martinsville. Man I sure did love nascar back then.
    I could take it or leave it these days.

Tom

7. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

You got it Tom. I watched or went until slowly the "pretty" boys took over. Can you imagine Richard Childress walking up and punching a young Bobby Allison? He would have left with his grandson picking up his teeth.

I could care less what they do. Cookie cutter cars and drivers......all PC,can't say a word about NASCAR........just a bunch of BS. They are slowly getting the just reward they deserve. Attendance is down,losing TV viewers......why anyone would waste millions sponsoring that BS is beyond me.

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Harry Gant, who from 1967 through 1978 won 300 of the 700 races he entered, insists he is not a born driver. "I'm a born carpenter," he said ...
    and when he's not building houses or racing he helps run the Gant Family's Steakhouse.

I don't remember which race I watched him (on tv) win and he had to hold the gear shift lever in gear the last half of the race. Never be another one like him.

On another note Kurt Bush hits 210 mph on the back stretch today. NASCAR is already implementing changes to the race cars because of the high speeds.

9. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

I read a quote of Bobby Allison on NASCAR's "over the top" rules and reg's compared to the old days.

"I believe that a driver nowadays could be fined for useing the wrong kind of toilet paper"

10. racer

racer TS Member

All four door sedans again this year? Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.