1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Springfield XD 40?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Scott Morris, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Morris

Scott Morris TS Member

Thinking of buying an XD 40. Any thoughts about this pistol?
    Thanks
    Scott

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

It's a cheap, fun pistol and a lot of value for the price. Not something you'd choose for competitive shooting, although I've shot a couple which were reasonably accurate. They're very popular, especially among new/young shooters. If you like it, buy one and have fun.

-Gary

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Scott,

First question must be, what are you going to use the gun for. One of my officers bought the XD M 40 as a duty weapon. I shot it. The big attraction was the high capacity for LEOs. If felt well balanced and had a variety of back straps which allowed for good feel. I am not a fan of non-metalic frames, but my guy was very happy with the gun. I wouldn't call it a target gun, but as home defense...19 rounds of HP 9mm is hard to beat.

JON

4. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

The Spingfield XD`s are Great Guns!
    The 40 has a LOT more "Snap" than their 9mm or 45ACP.
    Regards, Pete

5. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

XD's are a great gun with great customer service. If you have a problem it is there problem not yours. I owned 2 different XD's. 9mm sub compact and a 45 acp compact and both were flawless. I have never owned a 40 so cant comment on that.

6. BMC

BMC Member

I have an XD 40 tactical (5") and love it. I like how it can be speed shot and the lack of substantial muzzle rise really keeps you on target. No problems with it either. Put 200 rounds through it yesterday in about 30 minutes.

7. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Not the prettiest one around but I have had several, never jam, accurate and point right where I look. This is my .40 sub compact.

[​IMG]

8. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

We've sold a ton of 'em. Note that it is the XDM that comes with the changeable backstraps....I had an early XD, before all the stuff was included, and it had a feeding problem with WW defense ammo but loved swc cast bullets for practice. Hung up the ww hollow points at least once per mag, never failed with any hardball or cast ammo.

My XD 40 magazines are optimistic in their capacity markings...almost had to hammer the tenth one into the ten round, and the eleventh and twelfth into the twelve rounders....so I just made them nine and eleven round mags.

Solid performing little products from Croatia.

9. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I like them!

10. Scott Morris

Scott Morris TS Member

Thanks for all of the insight. It seems that most think it is a decent handgun. This will be my first semi-auto. It's primary use will be for a home defense gun. I was torn between it & the Glock, the XD seems to fit me better.
    Thanks
    Scott

11. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

How about throwing in the S&W M&P and Sig P229 SAS for home defense in 40 S&W?

12. Scott Morris

Scott Morris TS Member

I really like the SIG, just don't like the price tag. As for the Smith & Wesson M & P...well...not so much. Love their revolvers though.
    Thanks
    Scott

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

Get the 45. 14 rounds of a real stopper.

It is not a target gun so don't believe any of the bullshit about accuracy. If you want accuracy get a Clark or Baer.

For your purpose, it is excellent. It will do head shots at 25 yards. How much more accuracy do you need or are you capable of?

I installed Tru-glo sights on mine and they are a worthwhile upgrade.

Don Verna

14. Robbie T

Robbie T TS Member

I have the 45acp with a 4" barrel and I also have the sub-compact in 9mm they are great pistols

15. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

How about a Para TAC 40 LDA? Best 40SW on the market and double action.

16. Scott Morris

Scott Morris TS Member

I like the 45 & probably will get one later on, but for now I'm going with the 40. My wife likes the 40 & its important to me that she's comfortable shooting it. Just as long as it's not in my direction.
    Scott

17. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I would wait for the Gen4 Glock 23 with RTF2.

Jim Skeel

18. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I had a .40 tactical. The extractor broke after about 1,500
    rounds. Springfield would not sell my local gunsmith a replacement.
    Said the gun had to be retuned to them. I returned it. It came back
    about 30 days later. I was so mad, I traded it for a M&P. Believe me,
    the S&W is a better gun.

19. Scott Morris

Scott Morris TS Member

Jim Skeel
    I shot the Gen 4 Glock 22 & although it is a nice gun & I wouldn't mind
    owning one I like the XD better. I've handled the Gen 3 Glock 23, but haven't fired one. I still lean toward the XD. Thank you for the suggestion.
    Scott

sky buster
    That doesn't sound like a very pleasant experience, sorry to hear about it. Not really a negative selling point for me though. I'd be happy to send it to them for repair. Thanks for your help as well.

20. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

I have the XD40 V-10 (ported barrel). Very little muzzle jump. Love the gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.