1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Springfield, Iiilnois

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I shot the state shoot at Springfield, Il. for many years, driving each way almost two hours each way each day. Distance was never a problem but just the country drive. It was nice and pleasant for the first few days but then it got older each day until I sarted renting a motel room the last two days. No problem, not a complaint. I was just wondering if Springfield still has a range somplace?

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Where will you be driving from?

3. RLC323

RLC323 Member

The old Mather (ISTA) club closed about 12 years ago I believe. The city of Springfield, like Dayton, did not much care about the revenue the shoot brought in. No trapshooting venue around Springfield. Only nearby Jacksonville and Decatur soldier on.

4. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs TS Member

Lincoln has a two trap club that does throw registered targets. Only been there once but had a good time. The club does show up on the shootata.com website.

5. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

tsshoot1

Its located at Sparta Illinois !!!

Larry Moore of the Brittney Club has profited over the years.

ed.

6. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I believe the Mather family owned the facility not the ISTA

7. Don S

Don S Member

The ISTA purchased the club from the Mather family and ran it for 3 shoots a year including the State Shoot. Unfotunately, absentee management, maintenance issues and a dwindling base of shooters forced the trap association to sell the property.

With no homegrounds, Larry Mohr of Bunker Hill stepped forward and built a first class facility at the Brittany Shooting Park. The Illinois State Shoot has relocated there and continues to this date. I believe that 2010 will be our 12th year at the Brittany Shooting Park. The monies for the fine trophies are in part funded by the interest from the proceeds of the sale of the Springfield club.

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Barry: From Canton

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Don S:

You are correct. The 'new' Brittany was completed in early June of 1999. It was just in time to host the 1999 Illinois State shoot.

For those unfamiliar, the old Brittany was an 8 trap club about 3/4 mile directly north of the new club.

The new club has 24 fields. The terrain is flat as a flitter and if a shooter has a preference for one bank vs. another it isn't because of the background.

sissy

10. Barry C. Roach

Brittany is a great "shooters" club. They know what their doing.

11. RLC323

RLC323 Member

This is the way I recall it, and since it has been a few years ago, feel free to correct me if I have any of it wrong.

The biggest issue with the Springfield land was that at one time we were paying low taxes on agricultural property. The land was re-zoned and taxes went through the roof. The Panther Creek homeowners really hated us and our guns..and with their power, fighting to keep the shoot in Springfield was futile. If you do not believe they have some power consider that they kept mighty corporate giant Walmart from building on that land as well. So we were doomed.

The ISTA still has the money that was earned from the sale of the Springfield land, minus legal fees and settlement for the lawsuit involving the lead abatement. If I recall WalMart was set to purchase the land from the developer who bought it from us, and that fell through because of the lead issue. That money likely would not be enough to build a facility like Brittany, and with the popularity of the current Brittany site, why would we want to build another? I would assume that as long as the Mohr family is happy with the ISTA and vice-versa, things will remain the same here.

The sticker helps earn revenue for the association, actually the fee has been reduced from where it was in the past. It helps pay for state shoot trophies, zone shoot trophies, and the expenses of running the organization.

Each Friday evening of state shoot week is the ISTA annual meeting. At that meeting the accountants provide a printed detailed financial report to all who attend. All above board and in the open. I would be remiss to not mention the efforts of ISTA director Ned Meyer who has been the point man for the financial well being of the organization. Ned has done a great job for the ISTA in that regard and deserves our gratitude.

12. Don S

Don S Member

I know that some of the money was used at the Brittany Club for the ISTA. They paid for the classification building and the carport shelters on the shooting line. Many of the items from the Springfield club were used, the Winchester hand traps and gun stands come to mind. They are worn out now and have been replaced by the Mohr family. The new PAT traps were put in a couple of years ago. I don't think the ISTA paid for them, but might have loaned money for them.

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Ned is not only trustworthy, but a snappy dresser too. We're lucky to have him.

14. Barry C. Roach

RLC. There's more to the story as it relates to the money story. There were EPA problems as it relates to lead and the ISTA was forced to cough up some money to compensate the buyer. It was a substantial amount but was necessary to completely put the EPA problems behind them.

As for the sign up building. The Mohr's didn't need one and the ISTA did. I think it is nice of the Mohr's to let the ISTA put the sorely needed building on their property.

The Pat traps purchase was a master stroke of negotiation. The ISTA wanted better target presentation but the Mohr's couldn't afford the purchase. To get them sooner than later the ISTA board worked out a deal with the Missouri Trap Shooting Assoc. to lease the traps from us. The MOTA could now lease our traps for their largest shoots and we could derive income from the deal to help pay for the traps. It's a win-win situation for the ATA trapshooters of Illinois and the MOTA preserved their cash flow position by not having to put out the cash "up front" for the purchase of new traps that they would only use for a couple of shoots a year.

There were no "Good Ol' Illinois Ways" in any of the transactions and the ISTA board are responsible for getting us shed of future EPA problems, the improvement of sign-up and target presentation while maintaining our cash position. We all should be thankful for the aboveboard and intelligent actions that have given the organized trapshooters of Illinois a fine state shoot facility while being fiscally responsible enough to have a few bucks in the coffers. Hats off to all of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.