1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Springfield EMP 9mm Comments?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike K P, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Looking to get any feedback from any owners of the Springfield Armory EMP in 9mm.
    Any comments good or bad would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike.

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Perfer longer slide for dependability

3. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

No experience with springfield emp....... but I did have a para LDA 3" 9mm. Worked perfectly with factory ammo (not so well with reloads). No issues with the short slide. Also have a Kimber ultra carry .45 that has the 3 inch barrel and corresponding short slide, it too works great with all loads I have put through it, around 6,000 rounds since I bought it 6 years ago.

On that note, I agree with Perazzibigbore that the short slides tend to not function as well as longer slides due to the sharp angle when the barrel unlocks, but some manufacturers are able to overcome this apparent handicap with bushingless barrels and double recoil springs.

I also have a 3913 S&W 9mm that has 3.5" barrel and it functions perfectly, it only has a single recoil spring, with a full length guide rod. It also has a built in bushing but the barrel has a notch all the way around it about a 1/4" back from the muzzle to help the barrel angle down as the pistol unlocks. The original 39 smiths were rumored to have broken lots of bushings through the years and the later models carried the updates as learned from the ASP and DEVEL conversions that had been done.

Hope this helps, may be too much info about the wrong subject.... but it is raining right now and I can't shoot so..... nothing to do but hang out on TS.com

Mr. Mark

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

I have the big brother,(.45), to the EMP and it has proven to be a fine pistol for my EDC.

5. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

I had one. Trouble free. Extremely accurate for a short barreled gun.

Mark

6. obfd13

obfd13 Member

I like it. Accurate. No reason to think it's not dependable.

7. art g

art g Member

I highly recommend the EMP.....And they can be down right purty too!!!!

8. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Short slide 1911 style pistols are fine for recreation, where they are shot from a firm hold. For personal defense, and where your life may depend on it, a longer slide is known to cycle more consistently, when shot from a weak grip situation. Just because you can shoot at a range with no problems does not mean it will function, when your life is on the line......Your choice.....If you don't carry, it does not matter.

Ask your self this....can you hold your 3"-1911 with 1 finger and still have it cycle 100%

9. art g

art g Member

I can......

10. IPMC_916

IPMC_916 TS Member

I have the EMP 40 and I love it!! It is very accurate and is an ease to carry!!!

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

There is absolutely no reason a 3" 1911 pistol wont/cant function as well as a 5" model. Slide travel is the same, just a stronger spring.

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Shadow.. you might need to check your source for that piece of information...I looked on my workbench.. I don't have a 3".. but I do have a 4" and a few 5".. The regular Gov. model slide has about .267 longer travel than the Commander.. In other words.. The short slide stops right in back of the disconnector..where the longer slide stop more than a full 1/4" behind that.. That's what I call hang time.. The slide hangs to the rear of the magazine just a fraction of a second longer.. giving just a fraction more time for the rising shell to settle correctly before the slide strips it from the magazine..

I've only built one 3.5" 1911 in 45.. and did not have any problems.. once the ramp and mags were properly tuned.. But I will say.. In the combat circles..they are shortening the government model slide to maintain the longer stroke.

Personally.. I'm building a Officer model frame.. with a full Government model slide.. It conceals easily..and works great..

All Good.. If Ross is around.. I'm sure he could explain it better than I can.. Mike

13. front242

front242 Member

When first getting in to pistol shooting, I shot a 3" Kimber CDP at the range. It wouldn't cycle regularly and wouldn't chamber the rounds properly. I asked a friend about it and he said I needed a firmer hold. I tried it and it was fine after stiffening up my hold. Never had any problems with a full length model. So, yes, the shorter slide does make a difference. That said, I still want one. It shot great after the operator got his act together.

Tim
    F242

14. jstut

jstut TS Member

I have one and love it. It's not only a great looking gun but a good shooter too! It's worth the price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.