1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Springfield Armory M1a

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin77, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

I am going to buy one of the SA M1A Loaded rifles in the next few weeks, these are chambered for 308 Win. I am curious about the history of these guns, how are they like the Garand, etc....and anyone that has any input about the SA Loaded version would be appreciated. Thanks WC

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

There are some forums devoted to the MIA if you do a google search.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

They are great guns. The design is the virtually identacle to the M14 minus the selective fire switch. The M14 and newer M1A rifles are still in limited use by our military. The bolt and trigger group resemble the M1 Garand but they are disticly different designs. I think the M1A/M14 is superior but many would argue otherwise.

I got my Springfield M1A in the mid 80's and it had many GI parts including the barrel which was a 1963 Winchester. At that time, the M1A/M14 was the rifle to have for shooting high-power service rifle matches. Very accurate and reliable. I have since rebarreled my rifle a couple of times and even though I don't shoot matches with it anymore, it is still one of my favorite shooters.

Fair warning ... these rifles love to eat up the ammo. Get a good supply of 20 round magazines to go with the gun, they are reasonably priced right now.

4. Bud Johnson

Bud Johnson Member

The M1A design incorporated a 20 round magazine.. The commercial version, semi auto, was first marketed by one Mr. Elmer Ballance of Devine, Texas. Mr. Ballance is still around. These are excellent weapons. Most of the new ones have no GI parts(from the M14) due to the lack of supply. The guns from Springfield have a lifetime warranty. Some of the later Springfield Armory guns have had quality problems, but these problems are easily resolved.

Most of the parts in the trigger group will interchange with the M1 Garand. Same goes for the rear sights. The rear sights on the Garand are calibrated in yards, where the M1A/M14 is calibrated in Meters.

I am intimately familiar with these guns. I was actualyl shooting two of them today. I like them enough to presently own 7 of them.

The key to a good M1A is the trigger and the bedding. Unfortunately SA does not do the trigger like USMC and it is not as crisp.

Sorry to ramble on. Don't think you will go wrong with one of these guns.

One of the forums on M1A/M14 is M14 Firing line.

Bud Johnson

Best regards and shoot straight.

5. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

You have mail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
are springfield armory m1a calibrated for meters or yards
bud ballance m1a
history of sa m1a

history of the m1a