1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Springfield Armory M1 Garand 1942 not for sale...

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Chipmaker, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Sprinfield Armory M1 Garand chamber in 30-06, serial number indicates made in March of 1942 ! All original parts not built from pieces! Overall in very very good condition very little wear on finish, butt plate has some wear on it, no cleaning kit in butt stock.

2. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

0   0   0

Sorry to say ,unless this slipped out of the normal chain,all of these were eventually refurbished for Korea and other places.Very easy to find correct parts for a numbered reciever as the parts were numbered [in batches] also.
    And the stock cartouche stamps were released years ago,so,well,ya know..
    A very early DCM gun this could be,but there would be documentation too.
    These guns would be 3k if examined by an expert.
    Scott Duff wrote the book on these,I am not an expert.

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

0   0   0

billyboy07208, " And the stock cartouche stamps were released years ago"

Would you elaborate on that comment. Yeah, you can find correct parts but it's a waste of money unless the barrel date matches the receiver date.

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

0   0   0

Do all the serial #'s for every piece of that gun match to 1942? Was it re-barreled in '52 or '53 for the Korean War? Does it have the original stock? If you have all matching numbers for every part, for a 1942...you have a Garand worth at least ...............Pics please

Wayne

5. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

0   0   0

Yes,I have seen these stock inspection stamps at collectors shows/auctions,the real deal from govt arsenals decades ago.There are also hardcore garand collectors who have these,and some will match a stock to reciever date corresponding to the inspectors initials during that run of weapons for a fee.
    Dont ask me who specifically,but this is known to be done.Everything about the M1 is known and documented as to who did what and when as far as the govt arsenals.The parts have drawing revision numbers IIRC that go with a certain timeframe.You find a barrel,look it up for its recievers serial number range,and search for that peice.IIRC,The range for a date could be thousands of guns as they made hundreds of thousands of these things.
    I have one suspect example, a "rare" [JLG] garand made between ww2 and korea,these are said to be the finest machined of all because there wasnt war production going on.The stock cartouche is perfect,too perfect-fresh and deep.Most stamp strikes into the wood go on uneven,meaning heavier on one side than the other.With so many stocks to stamp,the armorers didnt take their time to make em look nice,they just wacked it on.Otherwise everything else checks out against Scott Duffs Garand book,and I didnt pay 3500. for it either,only 600.

6. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

0   0   0

I must add that I didnt want to "sink the sellers battleship" as it were,I believe it is a fair price for a garand,as many are in that price range,but that way more often than not-parts have been changed in the many years the M1 was in frontline/training/reserve roles.

7. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Well I did some checking and the stock does have the correct circled P stamp on the underside of pistol grip it does not have the left side markings but is also not uncommon either. The steel lot numbers and other numbers indicate its correctness. I obviously need to research this further as it would appears it is an original and it was not rebuilt or refurbed in 52 or 53 either. The barrel is stamped SA-3-42 which is correct to the serial number also. This has been hiding in an attic for many years and I just bought it last weekend. Looks like I may have a real piece of history here.

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

0   0   0

Chipmaker, The correct original barrel makes it worth a lot more to collectors. Highly desirable! I see you have pulled your price. Good idea until you know what you have. WW2 M1 ammo was corrosive so most don't have the original barrel. They have all been rebuilt except the ones that slipped through the cracks. The circle p mark is a proof mark. The cartouche on the side has been sanded off during an arsenal rebuild , like most all.

billyboy07208 , I have all of Scott Duff's books and then some. But I didn't realize the armory cartouche stamps were in circulation. Of course I know lots of fakes stock markings are out there. Garand collecting is huge and that attracts imposters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1942 m1
1942 m1 garand for sale
1942 m1 garand price

1942 m1 garand value

1942 springfield m1 garand
m1 garand 1942 for sale
m1 garand cartouche stamps for sale
m1 garand for sale