1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Springfield 1903

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Quick question, does the old Springfield model 1903 cock on opening or on closing?

2. Hilltop

Hilltop Member

OPENING

3. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Opening. However, the 1917 Enfield, a rifle from the same era,cocks on closing.

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Thank's guys! Yeah, I knew the 1917 Enfield cocked on closing, wasn't sure about the 1903 Springfield. Starting to come down with the bug to get one to shoot in local old military rifle shoots.

5. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

They are nice to shoot. But there is just somethun' about a Garand...
    dju

6. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I know where there is a beautiful 03 Remington if anyone is interested.

7. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Cowboy: Creedmore Sports is selling newly made 03A3's specifically for what you want to do.

I have seen the guns and they are New Built on original 03A3 receivers IE new barrels and new wood. I believe they use Criterion Barrels.

I personally think it would be a better deal to buy one of these for $935 and know what you are getting as opposed to buying an old gun and taking a big chance.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/home.php

Sorry to see them leaving CA but that is just the way things are going out here. I'd leave in a second if I wasn't tied down here with work and family.

Randy

8. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Used to shoot in the old military shoots and my favorite was an all matching Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55.. A great caliber and most have not been shot much. If you can find one matching including the disk, it will tell you the history such when it went back to the arsenal, throat diameter, etc. the guys who used the 03, Enfields always shook their heads when a Swede should up.

Van

9. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I wish I could get my No1 Mk3 to shoot as tight a group as my 03A3. My 03A3 is the tightest shooter in my group. That said, the Garand has a nearly shot out barrel which is probably a major issue there. Both the Enfield and the 1917 don't adjust for windage and I prefer the rear sight on the 03A3 to the ladder on the 1917. That said, all 4 will do a very nice job is the fool pulling the trigger (me) remembers to do his part.

HJH

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've got a sporterized 03 Remington with a Redfield wide angle scope that's been sitting in my safe for about 35 years. Anyone want it. I'd sell it at a fair price.

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I haven't seen the numbers Rick but I suspect that's true. Story is that the US realized after it declared war that we were woefully unprepared as we didn't have enuf' rifles to equip an army to send to France and couldn't produce Springfields fast enuf' but OTOH the major arms makers in this country were already in full production of the 1914 Enfield in .303 on contract for the British so it was a simple matter to change to producing them in .30-06 in 1917. FWIW I've noted in a picture of my oldest uncle who served with the American Expeditionary Forces in France in WWI that the rifle he carried was a 1917 Enfield.

12. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I've bought one of these '03 A4 from Gibbs for my Grandson. Pretty neat gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.