1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spring Grand - 2012

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by V10, Feb 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

The 2012 Pre-Spring Grand is now history.

Attendance for the weekday events was up 15%, on average, over the same events in 2011. Attendance for the weekend, championship events, was up 39%, on average, over 2011.

The Pre-Spring Grand Singles Championship has not yet been decided. There were 7 200s in Saturday's Singles Championship event and after 100 shoot off targets, 5 of the 7 remained: Eli Walker, Mike Grady, Hardy Musselman, Sean Hawley, and Harlan Campbell. The shooters agreed to carry the shoot off over to Monday's singles. Attendance for the Singles Championship was up 45% from 2011.

The Doubles Championship was shot off between Dean Neumann and Alan Helfer with 100 straight. I don't have the result of this shoot off yet.

Gary Sherrod won the Handicap Championship with the lone 99.

The Spring Grand starts tomorrow (Monday, 20 Feb 2012) with the Preliminary Singles and Handicap events. The High Over All events start on Tuesday.

With the great attendance for the Pre-Spring Grand Championship events, I expect the Spring Grand attendance to be up significantly too. Thanks to the additional 25 traps that were made possible by the generous contributions of Bill and LeeAnn Martin, all singles and handicap events in the Spring Grand will be shot 5 per post. And the Spring Grand Singles Championship will once again be a 200 target event.

If you haven't yet made plans to come down to Tucson, it's still not too late. The weather has been very nice, and great weather is expected through the rest of the week.

Here are is an event-by-event comparison of the Pre-Spring Grand entries:

[​IMG]

2. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Scott, great report. See you tomorrow!

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Great reporting job Scott!! See you at the club soon and I'm bringing a truck load of bullets too!!

Hap

4. undersluice

undersluice Member

Good luck to all for the events starting today !

This will be my first time attending this shoot at Tucson and I am looking forward to it.

Regards,
    JB

5. DJSims

DJSims Member

Alan Helfer and Dean Neumann also chose to carry over the Doubles to the next doubles event.

Doug Sims

6. Macdaddy

Macdaddy Member

Once again HOOV, you have put up some great reporting!

Could you be looking for a job on the nightly news?

see you soon

mac

7. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

The first day of the 2012 Spring Grand HOA events is now in the books.

Attendance for yesterday's preliminary day events was up modestly. Today's events saw a nice increase over 2011. The weather was gorgeous, just what everybody who comes down here for this shoot wishes the weather was like all the time; clear clue skies, light breeze and 72F.

The scores are shown at the link above.

[​IMG]

8. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

I see Scott Gens ran 100 in today's caps. Nice shooting, Scott!

9. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

How many squads take the line at a time now? I am trying to figure out what time I need to be there for a squad in the 80's

Thanks,
    Chip

10. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Get there before 9 and you'll be fine.

We are starting either 20 or 22 squads on the doubles.

So a squad in the 80s will be out about 10 or so.

Starting trap assignments for the next day are posted the afternoon before. Check the bulletin board before you leave for the day.

11. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

If you have not been to Tucson since all the remodeling, all I can say is be prepared to be surprised.

This club is the best trap facility west of the Mississippi and maybe the best in the country next to Sparta.

The new traps are all perfectly aligned, perfecly set in the holes, with wide sidewalks, graveled roads, and generally just about as perfectly laid out as possible. The background is better at the new end than the old end. The background is the fairest of any in the country.

Bill told me yesterday they are going to expand the clubhouse, so next year the facility will be even better.

If you want a place to come next winter to shoot great targets at a great facility, with no bs in the target setting, where it does not matter what bank you draw then come to AZ and skip Florida.

Give Bill and Lee Ann a BIG THANK YOU the next time you see them.

12. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Updated attendance data through Wednesday.

[​IMG]

13. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Updated attendance data through Thursday:

[​IMG]

14. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Updated attendance data through Saturday:

[​IMG]

15. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I haven't shot the Spring Grand, work always seems to be busy this time of year...but having been to Tuscon before remodelling, it must be amazing now! I've only shot there a couple times, but it was a great experience. It is thrilling to see that attendance is up this year, let's hope that carries on for the whole season.

16. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Attendance through Sunday's Handicap Championship:

[​IMG]

The increase for 2012 is influenced by the poor weather for last year's Handicap Championship.

However, 981 different shooters shot at least one event of the 2012 Spring Grand compared to 821 different shooters shooting in the 2011 Spring Grand; an increase of 19.5%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.