1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

spring-garden tractor help needed!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tcr1146, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Alright boys, spring time! My Cub Cadet never let me down going on its 20 th year! Mid-November last year running great when I put it away! Today, with fresh gas and oil change (every spring) it would not start! Turned over like a sewing machine and even jumped with car to avoid killing the battery but it never fired?! Checked plugs and they were fine! I even put some gas in the plug ports with no luck! It flat would not fire! Any thoughts?! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

When you took the plus out you might have laid one on the engine so see if there was spark. No where near the plug hole itself, maybe just grounded (to the engine) by a coat hanger. A blue spark means ignition is not your problem; no spark means that it least ignition is one of your problems, though there may be others.

Do not turn the engine over with an ungrounded plug, by the way.

Neil

3. tcr1146

Thanks Neil! That is my next try tomorrow! Tom Rhoads

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Do what Neil said and check the spark.

I have a little John Deere lawn tractor that wouldn't start this year. Last fall when I parked it in the barn I failed to blow all the grass clippings off the mower housing. Well I guess I had a mouse make a home in the clippings. Every time I would be out in the barn doing something my dog would go over to the tractor and start barking and raising hell. So that is why I figure a mouse made his home there.

Well anyway that mouse chewed up the wiring. I would track one short down then find another. Ended up replacing the wiring harness and the tractor started right up.

Hopefull all you'll need is something simple like a spark plug.

5. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

You said it turns over like a sewing machine, suggest no compression, remove spark plug and turn over and if there is no compression then it most likely is a stuck exhaust valve. What make of engine?, if Briggs and Stratton side valve apply some heat to block in the area where the exhaust valve is and it will probably let go, if overhead valve remove rocker box cover apply CRC or the likes and tap stuck valve and tap it should let go. When storing these types of engines for long periods you shouls first wind the engine on to compression, stops cylinder and valve train drying out

Regards

Argus

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

A little lighter fluid in the plug hole after determining you have spark. Kohler engine?

7. tcr1146

Kohler, twin cylinder-18 HP. Thanks Guys. Tom Rhoads

8. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

tom--you should have called the motordoctor FIRST. good luck.

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

OK, maybe what motordoctor was going to tell you - after you check for ignition - is take off the air-cleaner and put your palm over the intake and turn it over a few times with the throttle open. That will clean out the carb passages which gummed up with ethanol/gas over winter. The result should be a gas wetted carb-throat and maybe palm. If it's all dry there, you've no fuel getting to the motor. You should feel the motor trying to suck your hand in. If it doesn't, you have sticking valves, or something broken in the valve-train mechanism.

And if you had asked him last fall, he would have reminded you to put some Sta-Bil in the gas and run it a bit so it would start in the spring...

Neil

10. tcr1146

Okay, an update! Pulled one plug at a time and had spark to each! Was surprised at the amount or volume of gas that shot out from the openings?! Put her back together and it still will not fire! I must be down to a lack of compression issue!? Tom Rhoads

11. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

You need 3 things for combustion to take place, good fuel,compression and spark on a gas engine.

12. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Maybe some dead gas.. sometimes I make a 50/50 mixture of gas and oil in an oil can. Put about 3 squirts in each cylinder. The oil helps build a little compression. The gas thins the oil a bit but will ignite. Too much raw gas will wash your cylinder walls and make them dry and will sieze your pistons. Be careful. Also have had old plugs not fire under compression.

Respectfully
    WesleyB

13. 100straight

100straight Member

Sounds flooded to me

14. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

TOM--listen up. if the plugs were wet--once-- they will not fire. either replace the plugs or take a propane torch, put the plugs on a metal plate and heat up the firing end of the plug withe the torch until it turns white. this will burn off the deposits. do not use a wire wheel or other stuff like that. the torch will burn off the stuff, warm the plug and maybe give you an advantage to get it started. once a plug gets wet it is fouled and needs to be cleaned. pull the plugs and crank the engine over a bunch of times to clear out the raw gas. you might want to check the floats in the carb as they might be like car floats and absorb gas and sink. this causes the engine to flood with raw gas. might want to spay some pbblaster int he cylinders to free up the rings. once you get it started try some jb engine tune up or product like that through the intake to blast the carbon and remove gum in the carb and valve stems. motordoc--see you in ohio

15. tcr1146

Thanks Joe and to all others! See you at the Buckeye! Tom Rhoads

16. stanky feet

stanky feet TS Member

Neil Winston is there anything in this world that you dont know about?Just kidding now not being smart!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.