1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sprgfld XD, Sig, Smith&Wesson - which?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigclown, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Looking for home defense gun - not concealed carry - want it to be safe and easy to handle. Recommendations or experience among models of Springfield XD, Sig, or S&W M&P..or Glock? Leaning toward .40 but possibly .45. Seen tests which conclude that S&W M&P seems to have edge in safety, handling, the grip inserts are a "plus" (I have large hands). Opinions and comments appreciated. Best Regards, Ed

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I own an XD and love it. My xd sub-compact 9mm is my carry firearm. Trijicon night sites and 16+1 clips. All comes as a kit. The firearm fit's my hands perfect and when shooting in low light the night sites are great.

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Guns/?action=view&current=9mmXDpistol.gif" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jerbear

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

HOw do you possibly expect to answer this question without the advice of a SHOOTING COACH?

5. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Big Tuna,

I would go with an XD 45 ACP. I bought a 4" Compact a year ago and use it for a House Gun with the large magazine and a Concealed Carry piece in the winter when it it is easier to conceal with the 10 round mag. When the SHTF there are no buttons or levers to remember, just point and pull the trigger. It has the same grip angle as a 1911 that helps me with my 40 year muscle memory and is lighter to carry and subjectively feels that it has less recoil.

I think the 1911 rules except when I can carry an XD with more rounds and less weight. Egronomic wise it just is superior.

Just the opinion of an old Marine that has carried and shot 45 acp's since 1967.

I am not a big shooter of the 40 calibers but my read is that the 45's don't have the ferocious snap of the 40. YMMV.

Semper fi,

HBT

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

S&W revolver with grips that fit your large hands. I prefer a revolver because if you pull the trigger and it goes click your can pull it again and it will go bang. You don't have this option with an auto.
    I like a 38 with wad cutters. You don't want a bullet that will go through walls and hit a family member or neighbor.
    A S&W Model 10 is a good choice. HMB

7. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

I prefer a short as possible shot gun, easy to handle makes big holes and no ballistics if you pick up the hulls. The original point and click interface.

Now back to the question I have several glocks and a few xd's, never thought I would say this but I like the xd better. I shot tactical pistol for a few years. Not great at it but its great practice.

8. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Great comments so far...I need to take a serious look at the XDs, but the S&W comments have a lot of merit...plus I have a S&W 686 already. The XD will be looked at tomorrow. More comments? And, yes, I intend to work with a knowledgeable shooter who has coached. Regards, Ed

9. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1329233575/bclid1364171724/bctid1344510775

copy the link above for a video of these guys bbqing a XD and firing it.

Another link for the XD. http://www.gundirectory.com/more.asp?gid=20249&gun=Pistol

Jerbear

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

revolver, 45 for back up. I have a S&W 4013 40cal. This is my carry gun It is the gun I can retrieve the best from concealment, aquire a target and hit it at short range no safty DA/SA 10rnds. I love my S&W 45 1911. to heavy to carry a bit harder to conceal. no matter how much I practiced I just never could get the gun out smoothly and secure ready to hit target. But If I needed a back up to hit a target at more than 7 yards and had a bit of time the 45 is great. I will be getting a revolver soon for very close and personal protection. I have been shooting 2 S&W models that I really like 1 airlite 357 loaded with 38+ ammo and a standard weight 38 ?682?.

11. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

My primary carry sidearm has been a Sig 220 in .45 for many years. Ultra reliable and plenty accurate....I also have acquired in the last year a S & W .40 M & P. I haven't had near as much experience with it as I have the Sig, but my impression so far is that I feel equally well armed with either one. I have small hands and the changeable grip inserts with the Smith are a great feature. The trigger is good and so far it is also completely flawless function wise. Take your pick...either one will get the job done in my opinion.

Ken Rucker

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I don't know about A shooting coach, but how about THE Shooting Coach? LOL

Speaking as one who trains folks in the use of defensive firearms, it depends on what you are comfortable with.

If you feel at ease with a revolver, then you already have one. If you prefer an autoloader, there are a few good ones.

I train Law Enforcement, which often have students whose skills are lacking. For home defense, a full sized firearm is best. Hittability and reliability are cardinal.

A firearm with a safety is a wonderful thing IF YOU DON'T FORGET TO UNSAFE THE FIREARM WHEN NEEDED.

I encourage most double action autos, such as the Schmidt Und Weasel, I mean Smith and Wesson, to be left with the safety OFF. They are ungainly to use, and prone to be left on in a lethal confrontation.

The Sig is a great firearm, but the 220 has a very limited magazine capacity. Most auto pistols have a lrger capacity, which is the primary advantage of them.

Also, all double action autos have TWO trigger pulls to master.

Most striker firearms are clones of the Glock. I prefer the original. An ideal house gun is a G-22 Glock. These are close to a double action revolver in operation. Stoppage reduction drills will convince you they are the quickest and easiest sidearm to clear stoppages of any auto pistol. Any auto pistol can jam if it is not held right, if not clean, defective ammo, bad mag, etc. Revolvers can stop, as well. Generally, if your revolver stops it is out of the fight. Typically, defective ammo or really poor cleaning practices are the culprit.

The good thing about a Glock is, when you pull the trigger, it goes BANG. The bad thing is, if you pull the trigger, it goes BANG. These firearms are unforgiving of careless gun handling techniques.

When waking with a start in the middle of the night, with your home alarm going off, or a door crashing in, is not a good time to do much thinking about how to manipulate your firearm.

Having children in the house is an issue, as well. The firearm MUST be out of their reach, but not out of yours when needed. The spouse MUST know how to defend herself and the family as well, and the children must be trained to not run in front of you and the intruder in a panic. The entire family must be involved in home invasion defense.

With all this said, and all the different types of firearms available, the question is, what do I have on my bedstand?

Look at the next post. I don't want to spoil the moment. LOL

13. at_trap_89

at_trap_89 TS Member

Personally, for reliabilty, quality, accuracy, I like the Sig P220. Comes in full size and compact versions and you can choose Single/Double action, Sig's DAK (double-action only) trigger, or a Single Action Only version. Standard is 9+1 capacity, and I saw 10-rnd mags in the catalog - most .45's are not hi-cap... 10+1 is fine for home-defense and social work...if you really think you need more get an extra mag. No biggie.

Glock's are decent, reliable, accurate, well made, et al. You either like them or you don't. You may or may not have some issues (like the not fully supported cartridge in the chamber, making the unsafe to reload multiple cases in high-pressure loads like the .40 S&W) but Glocks are a fine choice...you will not have gone wrong with one.

The XD has the edge on mag-cap but as with all choices, you would have to take a look at them...I know people who like them - I was not impressed for a few reasons (overall feel, trigger)...just didn't seem up to Sig or Glock quality.

I would stay away from the S&W M&P...and pretty much any gun with an internal lock. Overall a good gun yes, and if it didn't have a MAJOR issue I'd suggest it 2nd only to the Sig or Glock... The M&P has a built in safety lock...great for safety, NOT when it goes on while shooting. There was at least well known instance of an officer's duty-issue M&P failing to fire in the middle of engaging an armed felon. The safety-lock engaged itself during firing. There were several instances of this happening during training, practice, and acceptance drills with M&P's. Until S&W comes up with a better lock or removes it, I wouldn't want a gun that has something else to fail besides the usual jams.

YMMV. Don't go shopping close-minded. You need a gun YOU are comfortable with...and can operate blind and under pressure.

14. Shooting Coach

4" Ruger DAO GP-100 works for me. Almost total reliability, one trigger pull, no safeties, Magnum power, makes a good club if empty or disabled (hard to disable).

The only negative is, SIX SHOTS ONLY. Make them count!

15. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I did not know about the internal lock on the S&W. Revolver may be the way to go...I already have the 686 Plus (7 shot .357). There are no small children in the house. Several years ago, a drunk (I think) began trying to break down my front door. Our black lab sounded the alarm - barking like crazy. I picked up a Ruger Security Six I kept on the top shelf of the closet and started down the stairs - scared as HE** I would have to confront whoever was there. Fortunately, all he did was bust out the small leaded glass window in the door and took off...I'm sure the dog's ferocious sounding growls and barks did the job. Knees knocking, I looked out the window, but couldn't see him. Called the cops and they took a report and commented that he was probably the same guy who was harrassing his girl friend across the street - was likely drunk, and trying to get into the wrong house. Confronting the idea of using a gun isn't pleasant - been there, but plan on being prepared now. The police officer who ran the concealed carry class I was in strongly!! recommended Glocks. Many thanks to all who have responded...Great comments! Best Regards, Ed

16. Shooting Coach

In my training, I have seen a number of folks new to Glocks pick them up and march like old heads. :)

The learning curve is short, and if you maintain safe handling techniques, you will not have any trouble with them. They are among the best of any defensive sidearm available.

Utilizing the services of one trained in defensive firearms techniques will put you ahead of the curve.

17. bgf

bgf Active Member

Hecklor & Koch USP Compact .45 acp with three mags.

I think someone is selling one on here......

Bernie

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v355/bgf123/?action=view&current=HK204.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

18. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I agree the M&P's grip inserts might matter for you. You'll need to handle them all to see. The XD's my first choice for a big home gun, if it feels right in your hand, and an XD45 with 13-rd mag is one of my home guns. The Glock or M&P are about the same as the XD, and the .40's about the same as the .45 in modern ammo like the Winchester Ranger or Speer Gold Dot, so your choice among these 3 guns & 2 calibers may depend on what you can find. Glocks simply always go bang, they shoot fast, and control well. The XD controls recoil very well, is dependable, has very little muzzle flip. The new "M" model XD is surprisingly accurate. The non-"M" XD has a big, squared takedown lever that can chew up your thumb, depending on where it hits you. The M&P is a nice quick shooter, painless, easy to shoot, not quite as accurate in deliberate shooting. If you can find a place to rent all 3 and shoot them side by side in either .40 or .45, you'll find virtually no differences besides how they personally fit your hand. All 3 are fine choices. Phil E

19. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

KISS is the right way to go so listen to Coach on this one. We teach as well and get to see all sorts of problems with handguns. The XD is a great gun but so is the very ugly Glock. That is the only thing I can say bad about it. It does not fit in my had out of the box well so I had the grip on mine reduced and now it points just like my Para Ordinance P-14. Goes bang every time and the only safety to worry about is your finger, which should not be on the trigger or in the trigger guard until your sights are on the target and you are willing to shoot that target.

As to the caliber, keep in mind that bigger is better. The velocity will not help much if the recipient has on many layers of clothes and you are using a hollow point projectile. It will fill and become a solid. My vote is .45, only because they do not make a .90 right now.

Past all of this and the great advise above: Practice, Practice, Practice. And heavy on the malfunction drills.

Jack Burch

20. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Big Tuna:

If your going to go with a polymer framed pistol, the M&P is hands down
    your best choice. With three different size back-straps, you can fit any
    hand size. Unlike the Glock, you don't have to pull the trigger to dis-
    assemble the gun. (less chance of an accidental discharge). It also has
    a fully supported chamber (unlike the Glock) so you won't experience
    the dreaded Glock "Ka-Boom".The slide release operates from both sides
    of the gun and the mag release can be reversed for a left handed shooter.
    S&W has a life-time warranty and pays the next-day air charges both ways.
    Atlanta P.D. (in Glocks back yard) picked the M&P after evaluation of four
    polymer framed pistols including the Glock and XD. There are few police
    agencies issuing XD's. There are many large agency's and state patrols
    using the M&P. You can also get the gun without the key lock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.