1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spreaders / Good or Bad - Promos or AA's

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Sero, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sero

Sero Member

Sorry about that fi=olks.
    I forgot to put in a subject on my last thread which by accident is titled
    with my name John Seroczynski)
    I was wandering about your thoughts regarding Spreader loads.
    Good idea or not and do they require different choke selections.
    Also what is the difference between (or is there a difference) the shot in let's say the Win. AA'loads and the Wal-Mart promo target loads that sell for four boxes for $16.97 of which I recently purchased 140 baxes because I new the prices were going up the next day.
    I just happen to know the W/Mart buyer.
    Probably should have asked these questions before I purchased the ammo but what the heck they seem to be a good re-learning practice load.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    John "Sero"czynski

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

For trap the spreaders have not been successful. But promo loads have been, over and over again. Take it from there . . .

Neil

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

When I first started reloading I opened up Quite a few shells. I did find some non consistent shot in rem gun clubs and estates, more of a mix than anything else, also found some non graphite shot in mixed in with both. As far as the STS. always looked uniform in size and nice and shiny. How hard was the shot? When I shoot ATA events I use Factory STS, mind game maybe. Many have said it is a game of inches. The 6 between your ears. So at that I will give my mind the support it needs. I have become very confident in my reloads so this target year I may use them more.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

In the winter months I like the Winchester 1oz #8s and 7 1/2s super speed shells that Wal-Mart sells for $39.70 a flat. The box says 1350 fps, but in the cold weather they are in the 1280fps range. They break the targets just fine and I like the big clouds of smoke that come out of the barrel. HMB

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Promo loads will break anything you can hit.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Apples and oranges. Promo's -vs- AA's. Premo shell's at the 27 equals AA's or Fed paper. I don't like Nitro 27's. I've tried them all. Anything will break the target at 16. Heck, I shoot 7/8's of 8.5's @ 1150fps and crush targets on the 16. But, not the 27. You better have a fast, hard hitting shell for the back fence to have any chance of getting in the money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.