1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

spreader loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sasquach, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sasquach

sasquach Member

Has any one played around with spreader loads for sporting clays? What kind of results can you expect with them? It would seem to me that small shot and higher velosity would be the way to go.

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

They're great for rabbits and 'close in' shots.

It lets you open up your pattern without changing choke tubes...

3. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

What's a spreader load?
    Thanks.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

There is a special 'plug' inserted into the to of the shot charge - sits just under the crimp.

Usually looks like a large, plastic thumb tack - flat disk shaped top with a central pin sticking down into the shot to keep it aligned.

As it exits the barrel it slows down very quickly (air drag on the disk portion) and causes the shot to push further to the sides in a shortened period of time - thus opening up the pattern very quickly.

5. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Redcobra; You also have wads that the pedals are weak on the bottom and will fold back. As soon as they clear the barrel,they open wide and do not even get to the trap house.

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Here ya go...

7. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

many types : post wads by remington, dividers in the shot column, flattened shot, etc.

8. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

Ballistic Products offer several spreader wads for reloading. Also Pattern Control used to make a wad called PC Post, it had a post molded into the center of the shot cup.

9. 7815wayne

7815wayne Member

Have worked with spreader loads in vintage double barrel shotguns. My experience is they work well. I have no experience with chock tube guns and results could be different. I buy the spreader posts from polywad and reload my shells. Follow the instructions sent from polywad as to loads. The tighter the choke, the better they spread. Patterns are great! Extra full choke, ie .040 will yeild about light mod. patterns. Full choke will yield about IC patterns. I was amazed. Wayne

10. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Shot some in my full choked 21, worked well for skeet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pc control spreader wads

spreader loads

spreader loads for sporting clsy