1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

(?) Spreader Choke For 16 Yards

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by In plain view, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In plain view

In plain view Member

I would appreciate it if someone could explain the purpose/fuction of a "Spreader Choke" that I unknowingly just purchased. Thanks in advance. Bob

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Close in shots less than 20 yards. Really only useful for some sporting clays shots, and very short range hunting. Not even really useful on the skeet field, and definitely useless on the trap field.

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Pattern it-- see what YOUR gun does with it, also it you have a place where you can legally do this -shoot it on water- @ about 25 yards that will show you the length as well as the width of your pattern. As per skeet man it will probably be pretty open & patchy. Ross

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

A pretty much useless choke. If there's a shot less than 10 yards, maybe OK, but in that case I'd just shoot Skeet, cylinder or even threads.

5. dshot

dshot Member

May be good for the second shot on a incoming pair in sporting clays.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

1st shot of doubles, if you are fast. HMB

7. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Home defense

8. racer

racer TS Member

In Plain View- why don't you return it for something more useful?

Ross- you should apologize to Mr. In Plain View for the two sentences of crap you posted..... Dan

9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

racer: Why --don't you think it would be open & patchy????? Ross

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Shooting a shotgun at water will NOT tell you the length of your pattern.

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Did you ever shoot a crippled duck on water or a rabbit in fresh snow I have & I can see a pattern width and length. Ross

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

timb99, give him the engineers view of what he is actually seeing.

13. sts1100

sts1100 Member

When I shot registered skeet I shot alot 100 straights using a spreader choke in my Kolar comp barrel.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ross, what you are seeing, as pheasantmaster has suggested, is the elliptical shape resulting from truncating a cone with a plane at an angle. See pic.
    [​IMG]

The "plane" in the picture is the surface of the water.

The "cone" in the picture is the path of the pattern as it leaves the muzzle.

It doesn't matter if your pattern is 2 inches long or 20 feet long, what you see on the surface of the water will still look like an elliptical shape (unless you are shooting straight down, in which case it will be a circular shape.)

And the ellipse will be longer, the "flatter" the angle you are shooting.

You can, roughly, tell the width of your pattern this way, but it is very hard to tell your distance on the surface of the water.

This is a long-held shotgun shooting myth.

15. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Straight up-- Straight down--level--as in shooting at a patterning board you still get a one dimensional view as per your explanation where you call it circular. Ross

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ross,

Actually, its two dimensional (height & width.) It won't give you "depth," or in this case, the shot string length of your pattern.

But neither will shooting at a pond.

Shooting at any flat surface, regardless of what angle you shoot at it, still only gives you a two dimensional view.

It simply can't give you length of your pattern.

Try this: Take a tight beam flashlight, in the dark, and shine it at the floor from straight above. The light shining on the floor looks like a circle, right? Now tilt it at an angle like you're shooting your shotgun at a pond. Now its an ellipse. But it still hasn't shown you the length of the light beam.

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

The world is flat, and, the center of the solar system.

18. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

If you had ever seen the breaks from a cutts w/ a spreader tube you would understand the purpose, especially when using a shell w/o a shot cup. the breaks look like you threw the target up against a wall. It breaks into many, many small pieces and drops straight down when centered there is little extended dust behind the target as is the case w/ a fixed skeet choke. The first registered skeet 400x400 was shot by Kenny Barnes using cutts equipped model 12's and 42. And it opens the pattern and seemingly gives a very even distribution.

19. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hey Bob ... it would work well if you load 2 ounces of #9s!

I have a Mod12 that I use for skeet with a Cutts Spreader choke. But then again in Skeet ... they are all close shots!

20. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Good for a firefight in a phonebooth (if you can find a phonebooth).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bunny mature spreader 18 yards

cutts thread protector