1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spray bottle for Ed's Red bore cleaner?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 548, Oct 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 548

548 Guest

I have purchased some paraffin oil, odorless mineral spirits, acetone, and Dexron-VI ATF. I plan to mix up my first batch of Ed's Red bore cleaner soon. I would like to keep it in a small plastic spray bottle for easy application, but the acetone eats plastic (the whole purpose of the ingredient). I am interested in your method of storage and application of Ed's Red.

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I keep my original batch in a one gallon plastic gasoline container, and transfer working amounts into a glass jar that is big enough to drop choke tubes into. I dip my brass bore brush into the glass jar. Mark

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I store Ed's Red in a used Pendelton Whiskey bottle which has a natural cork stopper and I have this bottle clearly labled Ed's Red - toxic solvent and I keep this jug in a small refidgerator in my gun room. I found that leaving the bottle out in the warm air will allow the vapor pressure from the mineral spirits and acetone to build up will blow the cork out of the bottle.

When it is time for use I just pour some of the Red into a small 2 Oz spice bottle and use it from there by dipping patches or brushes into the small jar. I wouldn't store this stuff in a plastic container of any type.

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

This is from the mixing directions.

"Mix outdoors, in good ventilation. Use a clean 1 gallon metal, chemical-resistant, heavy gauge PET or PVC plastic container. NFPA approved plastic gasoline storage containers are OK. Do NOT use HDPE, which is permeable, because the acetone will slowly evaporate. Acetone in ER will attack HDPE over time, causing the container to collapse, making a heck of a mess!"

Mark

5. lwr_

lwr_ Member

My other hobby is building and flying Control Line and Radio Controlled model airplanes. Cover them with a mylar product called Monocote. It is pregnated with pigment which does smear sometimes when applied. I use acetone for cleanup. Buy it buy the gallon and divide it into plastic quart bottles. The acetone does not melt or dissolve the plastic bottles. At least one of the bottles has been full of actone for at least two years. The acteone has not dissolved the bottle or evaporated out of the bottle. Neither will a plastic shot wad melt if you put in a bowl full of acetone. Nail polish remover (which is scented acetone) is sold in plastic bottles.

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

And lwr, Mixing up Ed's Red is a waste of time. No magic there.

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Nobody says it's magic Johnny... it's cheaper than most other stuff you can buy and it works just as well!

I keep mine in Nagelene plastic bottles or empty 1 qt. solvent cans.

Keller

8. noatrophy

noatrophy Member

I personally would not spray apply this stuff at all.

I would end up unintentionally spraying it on something the acetone would attack like a car's paint or my gun's butt stock finish or something else that it should not get on accidentally.

Too, the spray could conceivably bounce off a surface back into your eyes if you forget to wear eye protection while using.

I don't use it on anything other than a shotgun bore applied with patches.

I mix up and store it in a one quart metal can.

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Johnny, you'll get much disagreement on that!

10. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

unknown1, What is the point of mixing it up? All of those ingredients will work better separately. I use to mix up the stuff with various ingredients. But I decided it wasn't worth the trouble. If I want to clean , I can use mineral spirits. If I want to lube , I will use oil.

noatrophy , I'll bet acetone won't do a thing to your gunstock.

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Mixing up Ed's Red is a waste of time."</i></blockquote>Well, it's MY time, and that allows me to waste it as I damned well please!

<blockquote><I>"unknown1, What is the point of mixing it up? All of those ingredients will work better separately."</I></blockquote>Johnny...that's an opinion you're entitled to, but can I assume you never mixed up a load of Foo Gas? Yeah, gasoline works OK by itself. So do liquid asphalt, GI soap powder, powdered lime and C-4. But mix them all together and watch how they just all work so much better mixed together.

I LIKE mixing stuff up. Isn't worth the trouble? Heck, it SAVES me the trouble of keeping 3 or 4 separate cans around when 1 will do it all.

Keller

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Keller, I have no experience with foo gas. I generally use the gas grill when I cook outdoors. Mixing up the foo gas enhances the total effect. Mixing up Ed's Red is like creating a clp. CLP's don't do any one thing really well. Have fun

13. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Eye dropper -out of the bottle and onto the mop. No tipping or spilling.

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I use a Chloraseptic bottle and keep it in the medicine cabinet.

-Gary :p

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Gary,

It can't be any worse than Chloraseptic tastes. Probably even numb your mouth too.

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Matt: The secret is a few drops of DOT-5 brake fluid. Gives it a subtle tart flavor with an oaky finish.

-Gary

17. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

DOT5, thats the good stuff you keep at the back.

18. GW22

GW22 Active Member

That what I'm sayin'.

[​IMG]

19. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Container: Acetone or turps come in a METAL can. Why don't you use whats at hand? won't melt, shatter or leak.

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

You can buy solvent type plastic bottles that have a very small opening at the end (which you can trim to size) like a chalking tube. I use them with Laquair Thinner when I do formica work to clean up the contact cement. Laq. Thinner evaporates so quickly its the only way. They allow you to use a small amount to a large amount as you need it. You can find them anywhere they sell formica products. I've stored the thinner in them for years, but do try to remove it all after the project is finished these days. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

keeping eds red solvent storage

what bottle for eds red