1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spot or short shooting?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by goosecall, Jun 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

I shot a round at post three with my new PFS setup, and did not hit very many, and determined that my comb was not high enough, made 4 turns on the comb height which equals 1/16 in. Then I set the trap on straights, and had shooter with 0.9673 current ave. pull for me. He said I was short shooting and suggested holding a higher gun and look higher to get away from looking at the bird coming out of the house, and I eventually held above vertical, and I am 6 2' and smoked a few, but did short shoot some, but I did better holding a high gun than holding low gun. Also, I tend to shoot quick. Any other ideas??
    Now I can concentrate on shooting my XT and not deal with recoil. I have developed some bad habits while concentrating about recoil! 10Tenner

2. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

4 turns equals 1/8" on my PFS. Sounds like you should slow down and try to be more consistant.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Making the correct connection between a moving target and your barrel end/bead comes thru the eyes only. Not some built in mechanism/habit where you see the clay and pull the trigger immediately. If so, everyone would be shooting from the hip? I know,I know,some can shoot from the hip! Phil Kiner covers the eye/target importance in his latest article in T&F mag. Good read! Hap

4. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Hap MecTweaks, I developed this bad habit as result of flinching. If took longer to look at the target it gave my brain time to think about pain of recoil, and resulting fear of flinching. I began shooting quicker, and spot shooting, and guess what no time to think about recoil, fear of flinching, it worked, but unbroken birds hitting the ground do not count. Some mas say I am full of &%%* with this rational. At one club the trap is set a wobbles, and the angles go into the next field, and has extra strength springs. I have never flinched while shooting at these birds, there is not time to think. Even with 1 oz 3 1/4 dram loads, I noticed the pain after shooting, but I did not flinch. 10Tenner

5. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Dove Commander, you are right about the comb height, one turn equals 1/32. I did move the comb up 1/8 in. 10Tenner

6. thunder

thunder Active Member

First make sure you have stock setup straight not shooting right or left, go to pattern board and backup to 13 yards and shoot 10 targets, making sure you are centered on the target(recommend using a bench rest or shooting rest if bench rest isn't available).

I would also make sure that you are above the target a couple of inches.

Then go to the trap and set on straight aways, take your time see the target clearly and then shoot. Continue to raise the comb until you inkball the targets.

Shoot a couple of regular rounds and when you are satisfied with your breaks go back to the pattern board and see where you are shooting, I record the 13yard and then the 35yard pattern (this is just for future reference's, just in case something happens).

Nothing like a PFS for a great shooting experience.

Good luck,
    Andy

7. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

10tenner, you have made a wise investment. I've had mine for about a year. My shoulder/neck problems while shooting are nearly gone. Within a week, I had my settings completed except for the amount of compression. I played with that for another couple of weeks because I shoot doubles with that gun. thunder's explanation on set up is right on. However, you may want to put your old gun on the board first and try to get close to that setting w/ the PFS before you start shooting. I don't notice any movement when shooting doubles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.