1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sportsman's Warehouse Closing - Allen Park, MI

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pendennis, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

My son called me last night with a rumor that the newly opened Sportsman's Warehouse in Allen Park, MI, was closing this weekend. This location opened on November 1, 2007. Open less than nine months. I visited there this morning and saw the sign posted that they would close on Sunday.

There are no sales, other than some long guns, and a few "regular" sale items. The inventory is being packed up and shipped elsewhere.

The parent is opening four new locations this month in other states.

For a company with a national presence, they managed to run this location into the ground very quickly. No local advertising, except the local store flyers. We never saw/heard a newspaper, television, or radio ad in the entire nine months. Can anyone here imagine whey they would close (wrote he, tongue-in-cheek)?

They're similar to Cabelas (smaller scale), and much better organized than Gander Mountain. They did have some good buys, but their stock was very inconsistent. One time they would have Red Dot, and none a week later for two or three weeks.

They "raided" Gander Mountain for employees, and now those folks are going to be out on the street, apparently with little opportunity to get back to old jobs.

So goes another chain store.

Best,
    Dennis

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The Harvard Business School bottom line types have no mercy in the slightest.

They had to feel there would be red ink from that location, so they excised it.

Green Bay has stopped the coupon program, whereby they would give out discount coupons to league participants and at major sporting events like fishing tournaments, etc.

They are honoring the coupons they have out, just not distributing any more.

Dick's is worse. 2 months ago I got a rain check for 20 guage gun clubs, no call so far.

And my rewards points became worthless the first of the year.

And so it goes.............

HM

3. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

No big loss. Prices as high or even worse than Gander Mtn. Poor location to put it anyway. Allen Park?

JK

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I was looking forward to Sportsmans Warehouse when they broke ground here. It's a neat place, but despite the large amount of inventory, they lack many items, having succumbed to computer driven inventory replentishment programs no doubt created by All Sports distributors, and their prices are definitely not competitive. Plus it's such a pain in the ass to get them to order anything that I'd rather deal with Cabelas or others.<br>
    <br>
    We've had a chain here (Larry's) succumb because the buyer has his head up his ass about inventory orders. Not only did he buy only things that the most unimaginative and bland Fudd would want, he also would make orders in the off season to save money. For example, right after deer and upland season is over, all the flourescent red vests would show up to fill their shelves that had been barren for months.<br>
    <br>
    Another chain (GI Joes, now just Joe's) started as a surplus store. In the old days they were "it" for sporting goods. They had lots of cool stuff you could not get elsewhere. Over the years they simply became a retail extension of All Sports. And tehir prices kept getting higher and higher. Often their sale prices are higher than retail elsewhere. And they are a pain to make orders with.<br>
    <br>
    Sadly, the bean counters of Sportsmans Warehouse are going to run them into the ground too, starting with their high prices.

5. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Never have found anything "warehouse" priced in those stores. Like a previous message stated they are up there w/ Gander in their price.

6. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Dennis, that place has been gone for some time now, I have tried several times in September to call them and got that the phone number on my receipt was disconnected. BTW, how did you like Action Impact?

Jerbear

7. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

The store locator in the link above shows MI is gone. It's been like that since September.

Jerbear

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

We have one here and also a Cabela's. I can always buy cheaper on the internet. Even with shipping it is always cheaper and they always have what I want.

9. atashooter

atashooter Member

Here in Virginia (Richmond area ) they have picked a spot where they have now opened, Gander Mtn, Bass Pro, all within 3 miles of each other. We already had a large sporting goods store ( Green Top ), within 3 miles of bass Pro, and within a mile of Gander. They should have spread them out. Here in Chester, we aint got crap. Last weekend I went in all 3. Green Top had the other two beat in prices. At Gander, I found no help, and in Bass Pro, I was informed there was no such thing as a muzzleloader that took smokeless powder ( Savage makes one ). It was area rumor that Cabelas had showed interest in the land that had been proposed for the NASCAR Museum ( 1 mile from Bass Pro, 3 from Gander ). I had sent Cabelas a letter to ask them to consider Chester instead. Seems to me, one problem with these places, is thier planning of where they need to be placed....

10. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Well, good riddance. We were already so amazingly over retailed in the Sporting goods segment (Bass Pro, Gander, Dick's, Dunham's, Cabella's...etc) there was no way that our ailing economy could even support the one's that we've got. These were marketing Geniuses, no doubt and even came up with the brilliant idea of locating in Allen Park, a town busting at the seams with outdoorsmen.

Dumbasses.

11. pendennis

Jerbear - Action Impact is really a nice place. Great range, and a good supply of hardware and other goods. The range is a good one also. The only thing I miss, with their huge air handlers, is the lingering odor of gunpowder. I miss that aspect. Otherwise, a great place.

As far as Sportsman's Warehouse, I agree with Tron. Why locate in Allen Park? They got a deal on the location. They could've located in Oakland County, and really penetrated the area. Typical short-sighted planning.

Best,
    Dennis

12. Denver New Guy

Denver New Guy TS Member

I live in the Denver area and we have Bass Pro, Sportsman's Warehouse, and Gander in about a 5 mile area. I would have to really disagree with the pricing comments in my area. Bass Pro is the highest, Gander is right up there with them, and Sportsman's Warehouse is significantly cheaper. Wads are $2.00 less per 500, lead is $9 less than Bass Pro and $12 less than Gander (we just got down to $39.99 this weekend) Gander and Bass Pro stock very little reloading supplies. Gander is a good place to buy a gun or clothing. Sportsman's Warehouse is a family owned operation which I like to support. Go online and look at the financials for Gander Mt they are not doing well. Cabela's put off building their store in Denver after they had all of the grading done. Cabela's in Billings MT is also on hold with the store partially built. The sporting goods industry overbuilt like so many other businesses in the past few years of excess. I bet you see more store closings in the next few months as some of these companies try to actually make a profit.

13. KenC

KenC Member

Gotta agree w/DenverNewGuy on the prices. Bass Pro and Gander Mtn prices are at least 20% higher than Sportsman's Warehouse on handguns.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

All of these places, every one, have degenerated into clothing stores that put out the hunting and fishing stuff for bait.

If you understood the clothing industry markups you would know why.

Reloading components are merciless as far as prices go. Local SW is at 42.00 for shot, and the last time I looked at primers I peed my pants laughing.

They are a little stiff on shells, I guess no competition.

Cabelas's in Mitchell last month was at $75 a flat for Gun clubs, and Rio's were 8.50 a box. there was a goodly number of people and no one was carrying any merchandise.

I have a mom & pop sports store that fills a lot of my needs, and they have decent prices too. I would like to keep them in business.

We did have another locally owned gunshop, but an unfortunate relocation into a dead area has apparently killed them.

At this point, if you have a locally owned place to buy, you might want to try and keep them alive.

God knows the majors have no heart.

HM

15. pendennis

This is typical of major retailer behavior. When they successfully occupy a large portion of the market, the prices move upward. They locate in areas of high traffic, but don't offer a lot of savings. Their gun and ammunition prices run to MSRP. But this is not unique.

All retailers do this to an extent. When I still had to wear suits to work, basic blue, gray, and pinstripe suits seldom went on sale. Basic white and blue shirts never went on sale. Certain shoemakers seldom, if ever, put wing tips and cap toe shoes on sale. Most of the major retailers, like Brooks Brothers, run on very large mark-ups, and their sales tend to offer the faddish types of clothing.

Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, and Gander Mountain, are just different sides of the same coin. Halfmile is correct. They are now clothing stores with guns and ammo thrown in for kicks.

Why do serious shooters go to Jaqua's, Guns Unlimited, Dawson Enterprises, Joel Etchen, and other single-store shops? It's spelled S-E-R-V-I-C-E, and they offer plenty of it. I've never gone to the big box stores, and expected anything but "shoe clerk" service.

Best,
    Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

sportsman warehouse

sportsmans warehouse michigan

sportsmanswarehouse trap shotgun