1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sportsman Warehouse

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by white rattler, Oct 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. white rattler

white rattler Member

Just got back to my winter home in Phoenix and I decided to treat myself to a double,double at in and out burger on the west side of Phoenix. Then went over to Sportsman Warehouse only to find out that this location is closed down. Hard to believe as this was a nice new store and it was always busy when I was in it. Trevor Dawe.

2. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Lost mine in Dallas as well. :(

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I think they are all in trouble, Cabela's may have some hard times too

4. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

The one in Allen Park, MI bellied up in August, after only nine months open.

They obviously don't have a clue as to advertising and market penetration, especially with the other big boxes like Bass Pro Shop, Cabelas, and Gander Mountain.

Dennis

5. fletcher

fletcher TS Member

Cabela's in Nebraska has announced lay-offs

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The whole market segment is in trouble. I welcome the return of mom and Pop stores that give a damn about the customer. Ihave one near me and hope they stay alive along time.

If I pay a dollar more for a jug of powder, it's worth it. I'm tired of clothing stores that put out hard goods as bait.

HM

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The bigger you are the harder you fall when the market goes south. Store like these have way too much overhead to survive

8. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Plus the internet has really hurt them. Their prices are way to high to compete. With the price of gas the internet is the way to go. Once they (internet business) have to charge tax for every state that may change but right now IMO the internet is a bargain.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Damn, a double, double ..? No wonder I can't lose any weight ... Check out the WalMarts for shells and see if they have any of the $5.00 premium specials left over ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. PAPAJAY

PAPAJAY TS Member

Trevor,

Was that the New Sportsman Whse on Greenfield and Base Line??
    Did you try Bass Pro?? I will see you at the Autumn Grand leaving Tues or wens
    for Tucson.
    Jay

11. Steve A.

Steve A. Member

Jim,

Sure hope your idea is not wrong. Just been home a hour from spending a fair sum at our local gun club for supplies. I don't shoot a large amount past 2-3 years so it won't break me to pay a bit extra. Always bought all my supplies at the gun club. Sure would hate to see this club lock the gate -- last time I drove behind Walmart, they did not have any trap range or pistol range.

12. white rattler

white rattler Member

Jay, no it was the one out west just off of I-10 Goodyear exit. Next to the big box hardware store.
    Jim, I support the gun clubs as much as I can also. But I was looking for a set of grips for a k frame S.W. As far as Walmart goes there is nothing that I need that bad to get me in a Zoo like that place is. Trevor Dawe.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have to agree with you guys those $5.00 Remington Nitro's, STS's, and AA's won't shoot worth a damn compared to the ones you buy at the club for more money ... I got to tell you though a lot of people must of been thinking about saving money because they were gone before the store closed that night, but not to worry the clubs got a bunch of them for you big spenders ... I guess I won't be seeing any of you guys in the WalMarts out here this winter or will I and you just won't admit it (I'll keep my eyes peeled) ..? If Wally World don't have it you probably don't need it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. RickN

RickN Banned User Banned

WPT, for sure you won't be seeing anybody at Phoenix Trap & Skeet, or Red Mountain Gun Club.

15. Tommy67

Tommy67 Member

Wish I could find some of those $5 Nitros or AA's here. Wal-mart is $7.57 for the AA's and $7.74 for the Nitros in the Oklahoma stores. Sportsman's Warehouse is a nice place to look, but I agree they are way too high. The AA's at ours go for over $9 a box.

16. white rattler

white rattler Member

Jim, You are right about the time we all spent drinking coffee and sitting around BS-ing in our local gun shop. It seems like those days are long gone. As a young kid I would dream about being able to have enough money to buy a 870 or a Browning Safari grade. Peddling newspapers at ten bucks a week it took forever. How times have changed. Trevor Dawe

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

RickN,

You got that right and I can tell that its not because people didn't buy their shells at either club ... The more shells we stocked at the Old Phoenix gun club, the more that walked away, and or reputable shooters bought them at reduced rates from someone ... The Indians pulled the plug on Red Mountain and they did not depend on shell sales to keep the doors open I can guarantee you ... Personally, I figure anyone who would steal from a club should be shot and hanged before calling in the authorities ... I buy a lot of stuff at WalMart especially when they reduce the sale prices like on shells, and sit in the McDonalds Restuarant (inside WalMart) drinking coffee with shooters all the time, if thats all you want ... Time for a reality check people ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. Too Bad

Too Bad TS Member

The Sportsman's Warehouse in Tucson is open. The office manager told me she hoped her store will stay open.

Dick's opened today in Oro Valley, north Tucson. AA and STS are $7.48 each case price, plus tax at 8.1%. Gun Clubs are $4.98 each per case, plus tax.

Tucson Trap and Skeet Club's prices are better than Sportsman's or Dick's.

Time will tell regarding who survives.

Richard Luckett

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Trevor, Bill, what about the Bell Road @ I-17 store?

Is that still open?

I didn't hear anything.

HM

20. white rattler

white rattler Member

halfmile, yes the store just off the 101 and 17th is open . I was there on Friday and things were moving right along. They had a good stock of Rem. AAs and Estates. Priced at 54.for Estates and about 80 for Rem and AAs with a 10% discount for case orders. Trevor Dawe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting warehouse