1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sports Vision Optometrist

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 4th. down, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Has anyone been treated by a Sports Vision Optometrist for eye dominance problems? If they have, thoughts please.

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Dr. Rich Colo has done much research in this area. Check the link shown above.

3. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Mike - thanks for the direction to the youtube of Dr. Richard Colo, Sports Vision Optometrist regarding dominance.

Obviously a very complicated subject and grossly misunderstood, including myself. Don't know if there is a surgical solution (don't think there is) but I will contact his clinic. Depending on one's particular situation, they seem to think an alternate way of mounting and shooting would be about all one could expect and they could direct you to the approach which relates to each individual's situation.

A very educating video.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Another very interesting article is shown at the link above.

5. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Mike - more good info. - thanks.

More light, as much as you can take, and probably need 3 sets of lenses, but that's just the start of it.

6. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

One of the important things to understand is that the dominance part of things is not so much an eye issue but rather a brain issue. The eyes are just the camera (if you will) the brain is the commander and interpreter of the information. Dominance varies greatly among people from practically no dominance between the eyes to extreme dominance of one eye. Therefore every case is different and one solution does not fit all. Sometimes re-training the brain (difficult may be used to help with the issue but other times you may be better off just to take the offending eye out of the picture with central vision opacifiers of one type or another.

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

A lot of wisdom in a short space by Tailbuster.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Your left eye and your right eye send images to your brain. Your brain selects the best image and uses that eyes image to make the calculations necessary to hit the target. If you are a right handed shooter make sure your right eye is supplying the best image. HMB

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Nonsense, hmb. Your brain selects one or the other, usually on one side or the other, whether it is the better or not. For example, I'm right dominant even though my right eye needs a lot of correction to see well and the left needs hardly any. My brain accepts as the one to dominate a fuzzy right-eye version over a far-sharper left-eye version.

Neil

10. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

There's more to it and the video is good, but in the meantime look at the following:

http://bendershima.com/?p=63

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Nonsense Neil, my brain selects the best image. Maybe your brain needs to be reprogrammed. HMB

12. targetchip

targetchip Banned User Banned

"Has anyone been treated by a Sports Vision Optometrist for eye dominance problems? If they have, thoughts please."

Nobody has and nobody will treat eye dominance!

Eye dominance is not an illness is a natural biological fact!

If you want to cure eye dominance is wast of time, to diminish its influence in shooting its a possibility!

You have choices, but the new concept will help you to preserve your binocular vision and shoot from your handedness side!

It's called XDS (cross dominance solution)

13. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

TgtChip - I didn't say "cured" but treated - big difference. When I go to my optometrist it is for treatment not a cure, which in my case, is every 2 yrs. when I change prescriptions.

14. targetchip

I understand, but how you treat eye dominance?

As far as I know eye dominance can't be treated!

Please share to learn from your experience!

15. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

hmb,

I am right handed and I have shot right handed for 50 years. With corrective lenses, vision in my left eye is 20/20. Vision in my right eye is 40/20. I am and always have been left eye dominant.

You said, "Nonsense Neil, my brain selects the best image."

Explain what you mean by "SELECTS" and how that pertains to EYE DOMINANCE.

Neil,

You said, "Nonsense, hmb. Your brain selects one or the other, usually on one side or the other, whether it is the better or not."

Please define what you mean by "SELECTS" and how that pertains to EYE DOMINANCE.

This topic brings to mind a discussion we had a few years ago about something I referred to as "MYSTERY MISSES".

16. targetchip

smok'n Joe,

I will never question your statement nor your experience, however if you declare yourself eye cross dominant and you shot all your life on the non dominant eye side same as your handedness is hard to believe that you are indeed eye cross dominate.

Here is why. eye cross dominance(when exist)) come in place when we mount the gun. Once we have the gun to our cheek the gun can be in our central focus , if we look at the bead or in the peripheral vision if we look at the target.

On both cases the gun is there and can't be eliminated from our vision.

That being said, if we mount the gun on the side of the dominate eye,the gun target relationship is the real one b/c the barrel is the line that connect the eye with the target.

If we mount the gun on the non dominate side(is your case)and the dominate eye is on the other side, the gun target relationship can't be established b?c the gun is not lined up right to the master eye.

The only way to shoot having eye cross dominance is to use a blocker on the dominate eye side, which won't allow that eye to participate in the gun target relationship.

From my experience, many encountering cross firing,accentuated double barrel vision declare themselves"eye cross dominate" which are other visual issues.

A bad gun fit can give you the false impression that you are eye cross dominate

Considering all solutions to overcome eye cross dominance like, dot tape, patch, wink,ONLY the XDS ( cross dominance solution)allows two eyed shooting
    with full binocular vision. The other ones cut the binocular vision( two eyed shooting) to monocular vision( one eyed shooting)
    Preserving the two eyed shooting,the XDS Is effective in cross firing and accentuated double barrel vision also.
    Many can't have dots, tapes, patches or wink B/c of side effects.

17. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

targetchip,

You said, "I will never question your statement nor your experience, however if you declare yourself eye cross dominant and you shot all your life on the non dominant eye side same as your handedness is hard to believe that you are indeed eye cross dominate."

What kind of DOUBLE TALK is that supposed to be?

I tend to agree with most of what you stated about EYE DOMINANCE on prior posts to this thread, but your last post is rediculous and contradictory.

We don't need a $ALES PITCH in this discussion.

18. targetchip

I put up the my logic surrounding the eye cross dominance.
    I do not argue your comment unless you explain your situation the same way i did,with logic b/c I never heard exceptions like you, so I want to learn from it.

If the XDS were from the same category with the dot, tape, patch I would say that is a sale intend.

The XDS is a NEW CONCEPT to deal with eye cross dominance, cross firing and accentuated double barrel vision, the ONLY one that preserves two eyed shooting compared with the other ones.

Going back to the thread I expressed my opinion about eye cross dominance I am curious how you explain your situation.

Thank you.

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Joe,

Here is what's going on with your brain when you are shooting. Your brain has two parts, your conscious mind and your sub conscious mind. Each eye sends an image to your brain, your brain selects the best picture and uses it to figure out how to hit the target.
    The best way is to let your sub conscious mind do the calculations. The reason being the subconscious never makes a mistake. The conscious mind is always trying to help out and usually screws things up. I'm sure you have heard competitors say they were in the zone today and their flawless performance shows why. Their subconscious took over and ran the show.
    So if you shoot right handed it would be to your benefit to have your right eyes vision corrected to be equal or better than your left eye. Preferably better than. This will reduce the chances of cross firing. HMB

20. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Nonsense again, hmb. Every damn word. First to last.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.