1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sports psychology books for trapshooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pigkiller, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I have read several sports psychology books in the past weeks which I found very useful to me as a trapshooter. They have helped me concentrate on process as compared to focusing on scores and the anxiety that creates, and have helped me train mentally for practice and competition. In order of best to not so best, they are:

1) "Finding Your Zone: Ten Core Lessons for Achieving Peak Performance in Sports and Life"; by Michael Lardon and David Leadbetter.

2) "10-Minute Toughness" by Jason Selk.

3) "Mind Gym: An Athlete's Guide to Inner Excellence"; by Gary Mack and David Casstevens.

Though not entirely about sports psychology, topping the list in a broader sense would be "The Practicing Mind: Bringing Discipline and Focus into your Life" by Thomas M. Sterner. I am preparing for a match, and this book gave me the intense serenity and confidence that was lacking in all the other books. This is the type of book you give out to your closest friends. You will most likely re-read it again and again.

All can be found at Amazon.com.

2. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

An older book that I liked and have recommended is the Breakout Principle by Benson (don't remember his first name). It is a mental preparation book that could be applied to any number of sports.

3. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

4. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Trapwife, will look up Benson's book. I am always looking for reading material to improve my game. Thanks.

5. drduck

drduck TS Member

I am a psychologist and can highly recommend "Thinking Body, Dancing Mind: Taosports for Extraordinary Performance in Athletics, Business, and Life"
    by Chungliang Al Huang, Huang C. Al, Jerry Lynch. Great read. It is based on the truth that my body reflexively knows how to break 100 straight...it is my mind and "self" that get's in the way. Especially when i have 98 straight and my head starts to chatter...it is why we are all addicted to this game...it forces us to get out of self.

6. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Excellent recommendation, drduck. Saw the reviews and put it in my Amazon cart.

7. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Mental Training for Shotgun Sports by Michael Keyes MD. is very good.

Terry.

8. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I'm with you on that one, Terry. It was one of the first books I read on mental training.

9. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

A book I found helpful is "Mastery" by Leonard. -JFW

10. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Trapwife, I ordered Benson's book. Did Leo read it?

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I like this one:

With Winning in Mind: The Mental Management System [Paperback]
    Lanny R. Bassham

Guy Babin

12. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

Another classic is Terry Orlick's "In Pursuit of Excellence" -John

13. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

John, I bought that book recently but had trouble getting into it. I found it too vague and predictable. That said, I'll turn to it tonight and give it another go.

14. ajc

ajc Member

The best is "The Inner Game of Tennis", by W. Tim Gallwey. It's not only partially about tennis as evidenced by the subtitle: "The Classic Guide to the Mental Side of Peak Performance". This author has about a half dozen books on the mental perspective of athletics and competition (The Inner Game of Golf, The Inner Game of Music, etc).

For those that are into the Zen aspect, one of the better quick reads is "Zen in the Martial Arts", by Joe Hyams. It was last published in 1982 and may be out of print at this time, but you can probably find it at the library.

The message in each book focuses around the mental aspects of competition.

15. ajc

ajc Member

Earlier someone mentioned Lanny Bassham. His books are also highly recommended.

16. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Checked out "The Inner Game of Tennis." This seems like a great book for mental management. Have it in my Amazon cart.

17. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I read the Breakout Principle, then Leo and I discussed lots of it's parts. I also highlighted many ideas before I passed the book on to our daughter who was a colligate basketball player.

18. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Thanks, Karla. I should be getting the book this week. Look forward to it.

19. geeber

geeber Member

I had a really good book back in the 70s called "Cybernetic Shooting" and it was great. I lost it many years ago and can't find it referenced anywhere now.
    Gary B.

20. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Just started reading "The Way of the Champion," by Jerry Lynch. Very highly recommended!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.