1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sports nutrition for shooting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Anyone have any leads they can give me? I have some thoughts on starting a diet that will give me a more steady release of energy throughout the day (i find myself crashing toward the end of the day at shoots, or during extended practice sessions). I am a huge junk food eater, skip breakfast, eat dinner late, ect, so I know have a long way to go, but I figure any step in the right direction is better than none at all. Not looking to completely change my eating habits, just make some simple changes that will help me maintain an energy level that I need.

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Hauxfan!

3. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

small amounts of food spaced every couple of hours apart.

a couple of hundred calories at a time seems to work best.

to follow hauxfan's method - one beer after each round!!

seriously though - small amounts of easily metabolized food.

4. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Lol Hauxfan

The beer of the champs right???

5. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Hauxfan you nailed it plenty of Bud the night before will help every time.

6. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Just avoid the trap shooter's 4 food groups... <I>SALT... SUGAR... FAT... TWINKIES</i>

and remember that guzzling beer while gorging on potato chips does not count as aerobic exercise!

Seriously... endurance comes from cardiovascular efficiency and muscular endurance. Aerobic exercises like running, walking, rowing, swimming, dancing (continuous movement, not short spurts of intense activity followed by periods of rest) increase the body's efficiency at removing the toxins (waste products of metabolism) that build up in the muscles during activity. That makes it easier to go through a long day of shooting in humidity and heat without crapping out part way through. Weight training with light weights and many repetitions will build muscular endurance but it's not nearly as enjoyable as a 5-mile run in the morning. It's important to work ALL the major muscle groups during training.

An out-of-shape couch potato who eats a proper diet will still be an out-of-shape couch potato. Eating the correct foods and avoiding high-salt, high-sugar, high-fat foods does nothing at all to build endurance or improve fitness; it only provides the nutrition that makes it possible to exercise efficiently. It's the exercise and training that bring about the improvement!

Carol Lister

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Wheaties & Johhny Walker Black--the breakfast of second place---switch to Johnny Walker Blue when you win the big one

Phil Berkowitz

8. GRR

GRR TS Member

Two Ton Tony Galentio (spelling) trained on beer and pizza before he fought Joe Louis and it helped him at least for a few rounds. At least it will give you a look just like the big boy's.

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Take a look at the Mediterranean Food Pyramid. Research and try it. For elite level shooting, stay away from the aforementioned food groups. "SALT... SUGAR... FAT... TWINKIES". Also, for best shooting, abstain from alcohol.

Sports "nutrition" bars are mostly candy bars. Many sports drinks have an excessive amount of sugar. Look at the amount of sugar in a quart of Gatorade.

Acquire a taste for water, and leave soft drinks alone.

Folks professionally involved in physical fitness have nutrition down to a science. The Mediterranean Food Pyramid has a lot going for it. Without going overboard, this diet will work for a lifetime at any level of performance.

10. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

Before leaving the house to shoot:One cup of cooked,not instant oatmeal,8 or 10 egg whites scrambled and 4 slices of turkey bacon.About 10am have a meal replacement bar and and a whey protien shake.Carry with you,a cup of brown rice and a 8oz. chicken breast.Go to the club house and nuke to your specks.Just before the handicap starts do one more meal replacement bar and another protien shake and you should have no loss of energy what so ever!!!!I pretty much do this on a daily basis but it's due to some old health problems.Whoever said the boudybuilders have it down to a science was exactly correct.Put crap in your body,get a CRAPPY body!!!!!!!!!!!!!Tony

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

Protein in moderation and plenty of water during the shoot.

Jerky is good as is cheese. Eat every couple of hours.

Don Verna

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Carbohydrates in the form of starch are digested into glucose rather slowly and provide energy over a period of time. Beer will actually do the same thing. A candy bar is a good source of quick energy. None of the above will help "mental exhaustion".

I always consume my favorite vegetable (tobacco) before I shoot.

Pat Ireland

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Shooters need lots of good food to shoot better....for breakfast...ham, bacon or sausage, 3 eggs, toast and jam, OJ, and a bowl of oatmeal.

For lunch, a big burger and fries plus a Pepsi.

Remember a gun turret on a Battleship shoots a lot further and more accurately than a shoulder fired weapon.

14. 2@8lo

2@8lo TS Member

Drink 2 cans of NOS and a stack of double stuffed Oreo's. You'll be amazed

15. below 0

below 0 TS Member

Personally, I like a well balanced 7 course meal.....A bag of potato chips and a 6 pack.....lol Dale

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I like meals that anchore me solid to the concrete,tater salad, ribs, burgers, pasta, steak, chicken - a whole one, real mans food.

17. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Stick to the 4 major food groups: Caffeine, Nicotine, Alcohol, and Choclate !

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Stick to the 4 major food groups: Caffeine, Nicotine, Alcohol, and Chocolate !

(snicker)

19. Les Greevy

Les Greevy TS Member

Skeet Man,
    Send ma a private e-mail and I will send you a very good nutrition and hydration plan for shooters. Les

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting sports supplements