1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sports need Big Dogs (EDITED)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Doug Briggs, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs TS Member

Every sport needs players that transcend the event. Players who's accomplishments hold fans in utter respect and awe. Athletes who's game raised the bar to heights unimaginable before their appearance. Most of these big dogs don't even need to be called by name.

Golf--The Golden Bear, Lord Byron

Baseball--The Babe, A-Rod, Shoeless Joe, Wizard of Oz

Basketball--Air Jordan, Doctor J, The Iceman, King James

Bowling--Deadeye, The Medford Meteor

Racing--King Richard, The Intimidator

Poker--Mike the Mouth, The Brat, Texas Dolly

We even have them in our sport.

Leo, Harlan, Britt, Sean, Kay, Daro, Nora, just to name a few.

When these athletes stand head and shoulders above the rest they bring attention and admiration to their sports. To attempt to level the playing field is to attempt to take away the dreams and aspirations of all the fans who love these pastimes.

We do not need:

wooden club shafts

600 foot outfield fences

12 foot high baskets

10 pound bowling pins

200 horsepower racecars

And we sure don't need 30 yard lines

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Maybe sports need idols? Ted Williams was a "Hero", gave up baseball twice as a Marine Corp pilot in WWII and the Korean war. Its just my opinion, but hero's are in the military, firefighters, LEO, etc. Don't know if I'd call trapshooters, bowlers, card-players athletes, but that again is just my opinion. Wayne

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Just to help others, I will offer myself to be their hero. Keep in mind that different people have different standards.

Pat Ireland

4. straightsixes

straightsixes TS Member

Different view:

Kids need hero's.

Adults need a reality check.

The hero's are just another human who may excel at one area but be a total wreck in other areas (just like the rest of US). We all pay a price when athletes are place on a very high pedestal. Fans and players alike.

It can be difficult for many to understand but an industry is in place with incredible marketing (television and other media) set to fleece the average joe. Almost all are NOT "warriors" or are worth "journalists" screaming about while on whatever talkshow. Just like the big "rivalries". Do you really think the players care... heck no, many of them have played/driven/etc for various teams so they don't care... its often just another day at the office. However it is marketed by team management as "THE RIVALRY" to bring in the crowds... it often comes down to the almighty $.

Go to a professional game of just about any sport and its hard to get a family out of there without spending $400+. The culture is currently in place to pay to WATCH somebody else so you can vicariously live through them rather than finding something or "WORKING" towards being good at something yourself.

Isn't that why many of us shoot? I don't want to see people slobbering over the "stars", and in most cases that doesn't happen in shooting sports. Which of course leads to many high shooters who you can actually talk to normally without police barricades, papparazi, and autograph hounds. Of course not everyone is worth talking to but you don't know until you say "Hi".

Matt Emig

5. david636

david636 TS Member

Persons with great ability at 'sports' does NOT equal hero. Somewhere in the world is the greatest badminton player that alone does not make them a hero.

Sports has ‘goal’ models, not heroes!

Heroes: Mother Theresa, NYC Firemen on 9/11, Medal of Honor Awardees

David

6. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs TS Member

Pat,

you are my hero. Could I get an autographed Perrazi from you?

your fan,

Doug

7. trucker1

trucker1 TS Member

We have a HERO his name is Dan Bonillas
    If not he would not be the poster boy for Perazzi the last 20 years

8. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Hey Doug,

I hope you have a current fishing license because you're doing a lot of trolling lately (Back fencers ****, etc). Heh heh, keep up the good work.
    It's getting to be a long winter.

Larry Addison

9. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs TS Member

Switching to a bobber and nightcrawler. I'm tired and my motor carboned up from the slow idle.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

A hero puts their live on the line for a cause or person. Hero is a overused word the has no place in sports or anywhere where lives are not on the line. What your suggesting "Doug," makes me want to puke........

11. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs TS Member

Dear shot410,

read your post. perhaps big dog would have been a more appropriate noun than hero. will try to consider my words more carefully in the future.

12. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Hero = Giving of oneself for the benefit of others without the forethought of self gratification.

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I just couldn't pass it up.

Main Entry: he·ro

Pronunciation: \?hir-(?)?\

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural heroes

Etymology: Latin heros, from Greek h?r?s

Date: 14th century

1 a : a mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability b : an illustrious warrior c : a man admired for his achievements and noble qualities d : one that shows great courage

2 a : the principal male character in a literary or dramatic work b : the central figure in an event, period, or movement

3 plural usually heros : submarine 2

4 : an object of extreme admiration and devotion : idol

BTW Doug you are a pizz poor fisherman you need to talk to TRON he give lesson I think. For a price always for a price.

Bob Lawless

14. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs TS Member

Edited my thread. Maybe now we can get by my poor choice of labels and discuss the subject.

And Bob, I am a VERY good fisherman. My catch and release photos include:

walleye 29.5 inches

largemouth bass 26 inches

smallmouth bass 22.5 inches

crappie 17 inches

northern pike 40 inches

pacific saifish 8 feet 6 inches

BTW, my wife caught a 9 foot 1 inch sailfish. But she always catches the good ones, including me.

Flame that one.

15. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs TS Member

Name the Big Dog Contest

Correctly identify the first and last names of the aforementioned nicknames and first names of all the big dogs. The prizes are:

FIRST-- 50 well used Gun Club hulls

SECOND-- 100 well used Gun Club hulls

Contest sponsers reserve the right to substitute prizes of like value. Kemen, Estate, Diana, ect.

FINE PRINT-- winners are responsible for all applicable taxes, fees, postage and handling, ATF, DOT, or other goverment alphabet dohickeys that make life difficult.

LETS PLAY

16. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Don't count less-in you caught em on a fly

17. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs TS Member

MIA,

This is VERY tounge in cheek.

"Never got fly fishing. To much like masturbation" John Travolta, the movie Swordfish

18. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

Pretty good movie. "....like masturbation without the payoff..."

The second best description I've ever heard for flyfishing is from John Gierach in Trout Bum. "It's not how big a fish you can catch, it's how small a fish you can catch without being disappointed."

Most hardcore flyfishermen I know fish for the sake of fishing or casting - the perfect presentation, drift, etc. The fact that a fish may or may not be involved is secondary.

If the ATA adopts that "Every Loser's a Winner" program, we'll have a whole bunch o' Big Dogs!!

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Since day one of competition shotgunning there's always been the "Big Dogs" to try to beat. Difference today is the number of them that can get it done day in and day out. Far cry from a true hero but great shotgun pointers though! MX/MT, that big dog group is growing faster than our growth rate now practically?

Hap

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I would like to add one thing, in all sports, drag racing, Indy 500, Daytona,
    Golf, Basketball, Football, Tennis, Soccer, Etc. was the rules changed to make it easier to obtain perfection than the ATA changing the angles, w/2 hole targets, All the top dogs would still be there but there woulod be damn fewer Grand Slams that were not earned by the older target rules, if you look at the records they were made at Handicap, 2 Hole Targets and 1250 Fps Shells.

The Elite Few would be less, the earlier Grand Slams were Platinum Slams, or Gold Slams.

The top dogs like Leo, Harlan, Kiner, Handy, Bonillas, Bradley, Dysinger, Stafford, Robinson, Gravestock, Sears, were just some of the Original Grand Slams, they are the cream of the crop w/o gimmes. PERIOD

The best of the best was prior to I believe 1982, I might be a year or so off.

Were the rules changed for Tiger Woods from the Arnold Palmer or the Golden Bear? NO!!!!!!!!!!

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
    Life Member 40-10126

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.