1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sporting vs Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barry C. Roach, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

some will, some wont.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Im going to quess if the adjustable comb is cut on a monte carlo. With your current trend of needing to shave them may continue.

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

An adjustable comb allows for the raising of the comb to adjust POI or shooting comfort. It does not, generally, allow for "lowering" the comb below pre-established drop found on the same gun without adjustable comb. Comb drop varies widely from maker to maker, stock type, stock design purpose (trap guns typically have less drop than sporting clays guns) and so forth. You would need to look for a gun with sufficient drop for you in the first place. You would not gain much, if any "drop" by having the comb make adjustable, although you could have the adjustable comb piece cut so that it could "drop" more than normal by a good stock maker. Sounds like you need a custom stock by a good maker, rather than simply an adjustable comb.

Jim R

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You do NOT want to get a gun with more drop. When the buttpad fits the proper place on your shoulder and the gun is comfortable, lowering the comb or putting on a higher rib is the only way to adjust the POA. More drop in the stock means the comb has more slant, and the gun is more likely to kick your face.
    (BTW if you have to lower the comb, it means you have low cheekbones, not high cheekbones)
    I asked our own TRON if he could put an adjustable comb on my 391 parallel stock so that it would go lower and he said he could, so I am going to send it out to him.

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Both very different games and usually different guns. Can you buy a one size fits all - yes - but you will not become proficient at both games. Trap uses a pre-mounted gun and usually floats the target with at least a 30"+ barrel [most are 32 to 34"]. Skeet and sporting clays usually use 28" barrels or shorter and cover the birds [more flat shooting]. Fred

6. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Graco-Corp can undercut the comb so that the adjustable comb can be lowered from it's current position. Bob

7. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

***"Skeet and sporting clays usually use 28" barrels or shorter"***

Fred,

You need to get out more often. Based on what I've seen on the sporting clays and skeet fields, your statement hasn't been true for the past 20 years. In fact, I'd say that the 30" or longer barrels outnumber the 28" barrels by about a 10 to 1 ratio.

Easystreet

8. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

****Fred,

You need to get out more often. Based on what I've seen on the sporting clays and skeet fields, your statement hasn't been true for the past 20 years. In fact, I'd say that the 30" or longer barrels outnumber the 28" barrels by about a 10 to 1 ratio.*****

+1 at all of the clubs I shoot at, 32" dominates the most, with a 30" thrown in here and there. I rarely see 28".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.