1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sporting vs Trap question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Setterman, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

This came up on another thread, so I thought I'd try to get some info.

How many AAA27AA trap shooters are also Master Class Sporting shooters? I mean still "active", as in still registering at least 500 targets in Sporting last year and qualifying as Master Class by the end of this shooting year.

2. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

WGAF?! Tom Rhoads

3. Setterman

Now Tom!!! what kind of attitude is that?

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

closest I know of would be Tom Mack, AAA25AA..

5. Setterman

Did you know Mack was at Cardinal 3 years ago and signed up for a handicap. Ran 100. Ricky M protested.

Not sure what yardage he shot.

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I only know of one and he is some funky shooter out of northern ohio and he is getting up there in age.

Don

7. Setterman

Good morning Don. That "funky" dude is A Class.

8. Setterman

You are correct. He tried to tell the classification folks that he was a "sporting super star", but they didn't take him seriously. If you know Tom, he's hard to take seriously any time.

He told Ricky "Move over Marshall, there's a new sheriff in town!". It was a jest, but I don't think Ricky was laughing.

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Exactly Setterman, I remember they had him at something like 23 penalty lol. So much for. ' known ability lol

And at the time. I think he was one of the K'gun pro's too lol

BIGDON, the guy who wins everything with an 870 pump.

10. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Bill mayer was a pretty fair trap shooter before switching to sporting. Something like 6 time state champ shooting 870 34" barrel fixed full choke.

11. buster45

buster45 Active Member

There is fellow in Oklahoma was a pretty fair shot at both,Gene Sears in both hall of fames.

Buster

12. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

Darrell Farr One Hell of a shooter out of Colorado I believe he is AAA27AA and he only shoots trap once in a while. He is a a Master Class Sporting clays shooter and a state champion and was a All American In Skeet.

The kicker of it all is he shoots all disciplines with a 34" MX10, "isn't that a trap gun" lol. He is a super nice guy, if he had the time and money to travel and shoot full time I would put him against just about anybody.

Another person who would be AAA27AA if he shot trap would be Jon Kruger, he is one hell of a trap shot well any kind of shot for that matter.

Hope all is well setterman let me know if your son decides to sell the MX-3.

13. Ken Brandt

Ken Brandt Active Member

I believe Ricky Marshall punched into master last week at Nationals.

Ken

14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Olympic Double Trap champion Walton Glenn Eller was a National Junior Sporting Clays champion. He competed in this years Nationals.

Derrick Mein won a bunch of sporting clays championship and a state trapshooting championship within a short period of time a couple years ago.

15. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

Dan Carlisle, Ray Stafford

16. sport303

sport303 Member

as a 33 yr trap shooter AA27AA i took up sporting in the early 90s and have been in master ever since. 60 punches in master this year. 90 plus average. not bad for a 68yr old. jack concannon

17. Setterman

Jack, What do think of the new NSCA classification system? With a 90 ave. It shouldn't affect you personally.

18. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Jack Concannon, Dan Carlisle, have been champions in both Trap and Sporting. There are many. Many more that are capable but don't compete in both sports. Usually because of the schedules and cost.

The fundamentals are the same See the target break the target. You must really see the target to be a top competitor in both sports.

I've seen Garry Phillips run 100 at Trap Skeet And Sporting. 100 at International Skeet If I remember about 15 years ago In Englishtown NJ During a league night.
    Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.