1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Sporting vs trap guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hmb, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmb

hmb Active Member

The best way to find out is to shoot it before you buy it. See if it fits your style of shooting trap. HMB
  2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Typical sporting gun would not shoot as high as a trap gun. Comb is usually lower on the sporting.
  3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

While you can certainly use a sporting clays gun in trap, the question would be why. If 90 percent of your shooting is trap, it would be more logical to buy a good trap over/under, and then use that in the 10 percent of shooting that is sporting clays. Most trap guns are designed to shoot a bit high, but I have seen and read of more and more sporting clays shooters also using slightly high shooting guns, rather than the flat shooting skeet or field set ups. Besides, if you buy a good trap gun with an adjustable comb, it is likely that you can adjust the comb downward to lower the POI for sporting clays in any event. To me, makes little sense to buy a gun designed for only 10 percent of your shooting when the trap gun could do both.

Jim R
  4. jm1079

jm1079 Active Member

Another option for you would be to have an adjustable comb put on the 687, then you will the ability to raise the POI when you shoot trap. FWIW. jm
  5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Active Member

If you look at the new Kolar and Krieghoff sporting clays guns they look more like trap guns. That's direction sporting clays is going. JimRich60 gave you good advice.
  6. romie

romie Member

I have a 687 that I shot for a few years .The barrel is 28 inch and seems lite.I had to put an adjustable comb to just shoot doves.If you shoot mainly trap I would not get a 687 sporting.If you live in Mississippi or west Arkansas you are welcome to try it.With the comb it has been areal good Duck gun.
    Monty
  7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

My take is you can shoot trap with a skeet or sporting gun, you can shoot skeet with a trap or sporting gun, and you can shoot sporting with a trap or skeet gun. I'll add that skeet guns more and more are being equipped with gizmos and designs that used to be for trap games only. But, the bottom line is you should most probably have the gun that is designed for your favorite discipline and then make do with it at other games. My O/U trap gun handles my sporting, skeet, 5 stand, and wobble games as well as doubles trap and could well handle the single shot games too. However, this comes from a quickly becoming social-shooter-only suffering from physical short comings. Another bottom line is to try what you are considering and see if it can perform the way you want.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd
  8. romie

romie Member

Bob has you answer.If you shoot a lot of trap a 687 will beat the dog out of you but you" can" hunt with a "heavy" trap gun.I shoot a sporting Perazzi with an adjustable comb but is a 8 lb gun.32 in barrel's and i am just now getting used to it.I wish at the time i would have purchased a trap gun.Ot would have cured the wants and I might shoot a little better.
    Monty
  9. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Yesterday I shot a round of sporting with my 682 trap (high rib, adj. comb, 32") and did better than I do with my 682 sporting. Then went straight to the trap club and shot a couple rounds of trap. The 682 trap is set to shoot rather flat and I have shot skeet as well with it as with my skeet gun that I first shot trap with.

BLUF: with an adjustable comb I think a 682 trap would meet all of your needs with maybe just a little adjustment between games. A sporting gun may pound you a bit and be less versatile for other games.

My $.02
  10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

Frank, just a side note here. Most gun manufactorers will charge more money for the trap style gun, while the skeet and sporting clays version will be a bit cheaper and in the case of browning be basiclly the same. I've shot my 525 sporting and a friends XT Trap at doubles trap and they shoot the same POI. No differece at all. If you get a catalog from the gun company you want to buy from, there can be a small difference in the height drops from comb and in the heel. You will have to check the one's you want to compare. They are ussually small and will make very little difference if you put a adj. comb on the gun. If you buy a Browning do get a aftermarket comb installed by a smith w/ good hardware its much better (and cheaper) if you can. Good Luck and Break-em all. JEff
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.