1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sporting vs. Field?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mrrem3200, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrrem3200

mrrem3200 Member

Can anyone tell me the differences between sporting grades vs. a field grade guns? It appears that a field grade Beretta is a lot cheaper than a sporting grade, does this mean it won’t give me the same amount of years of service or is it all cosmetics?

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Field guns are normally lighter in weight and will thusly have more recoil.

Field guns stock dimensions are different than sporting/skeet/trap guns thusly not fitting you as well as sporting guns.

Field guns are normally sometimes not as heavy duty as sporting guns thusly there is a chance of the long term durability not being the same.

If your just concerned about price than buy a field gun but if your concerned about fit and long term durability get a sporting gun.

3. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Is "thusly" a word?

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Adding to what Mr. Lumper said, a field gun will typically have shorter barrels (but not always) and a narrower rib with no center bead.

Tron

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

Dang ... I forgotted to mention the barrel, rib and bead difference. There is also sometimes a major difference in the butt pad also.

Yes ... "thusly" is a word. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/thusly

6. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

>>>Can anyone tell me the differences between sporting grades vs. a field grade guns? It appears that a field grade Beretta is a lot cheaper than a sporting grade, does this mean it won’t give me the same amount of years of service or is it all cosmetics?<<<

It depends on which gun you are talking about but many times there is very little difference between a field grade gun and a sporting gun. Usually these differences are slight differences in dimensions on the stock and/or the quality of the wood or the finish on the metal surface. Often times there is ZERO difference in durability.

A good example is the Beretta 390. They made this in a Sporting and Trap version and also a Field version. As I mentioned above, the main differences are cosmetic and minor dimensions on the stock and rib. As far as durability or differences in operating, there is no difference. The bolt assemblies, trigger assemblies, gas systems, and practically everything else having to do with the operation of the gun is exactly the same and fully interchangeable. The cosmetics and dimensions of the stock and rib are slightly different, but there is no reason to believe that the sporting/trap version will last any longer than the field version.

Easystreet

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

thus·ly [thuhs-lee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adverb

thus.
    [Origin: 1860–65, Americanism; thus + -ly]

—Usage note Some speakers and writers regard thusly as a pointless synonym for thus, and they avoid it or use it only for humorous effect.

8. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Hey! I learnt sumpin'!

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

The only other difference that can be found (with some manufactures) is the fact that a field gun won't have porting and the sporting version will. This is not the case all the time, but is frequent enough to be said.

ec90t

10. BamBam2K

BamBam2K Member

I'm pretty sure the action on my Browning "field" model citori is identical to the action on my Browning XS Skeet, "thusly" I expect to be able to shoot a similar number of rounds through each gun over it's lifespan.
    If you ask me the difference mostly is in the "bells and whistles" higher, wider rib, xtra bead, a bit fancier wood, different frame finish.
    I could be wrong but one gun will definitely break a clay pigeon as well as the other. JMO.........Perry

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

mrrem3200...........You've received some good answers above, but, basically, between these two terms[Sporting and Field].........there's not THAT much difference. They make it easy for you to BUY what sounds best to YOU! Its alot like deciding whether to buy a Ford F-150 or a Ford F-250. Whatever turns you on!

12. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

For the Remington, they are basicly similar in the metal work But to reiterate what Easystreet said, Trap, all cosmetics, Field grades, cheeper wood and so on except for the 870 Express, much cheeper wood (laminated). 870 Wingmaster (real wood) Things do work on the 870 express that are on the 870 Wingmaster but the 870 Wingmaster is a little heavier in the tank than the 870 Express. Things will work on the 870 Wingmaster that are on the 870 Express. When you are out and about look at the wood differenes in the 870 Wingmaster and the 870 Express. Pick up and 870 Express then pick up an 870 Wingmaster. I hope that isn't to confusing. To me, Na!! I purchased an 870 Winmaster in 1971 befor I sold it in 1985 it had over 45,000 rounds through it. This is combined rounds. Hunting to Trap rounds as well as testing rounds. All of these were logged on it. And to add not one time had a gunsmith layed his or her hands on it. Just by kleaning it and inspecting it properly it kept on shooting for me. Never did I replace any parts on it either. I did have an extra firing pin for it but it went with it when I sold it in the factory bag it came in. Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Stealing a phrase from another:

Field guns are designed to carry a lot, and shoot a little.

Target guns are designed to carry a little, and shoot a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta field vs sporting

beretta sporting vs field
how to tell field grade from other grades on 870 wingmaster
how to tell if 870 wingmaster is feild grade or trap grade
show vs field
sporting claus vs field gun