1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sporting versus skeet

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by winselect, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winselect

winselect TS Member

What's the difference in a sporting barrel and a skeet barrel?

2. drgondog

drgondog Member

If you happened to shoot sporting at an official FITASC event or a nationals - you will have some stands that may have 60 yard crossing shots. Some of the best shooters like Digby shoot F/F at all the stands because thayr are just that good at pointing a shotgun.

For the run of the mill 'pick up' club shoots IC/and LM are pretty good pair.

For Skeet the max shot might be a 25 yard deflection shot, at sporting it will vary from 10 yards to 70.

Regards,

Bill
    Scurry, TX

3. oz

oz Active Member

the barrels are basically the same. You will use different chokes. the stock dimensions are the same. sporting is more fun.

4. drgondog

drgondog Member

Second thought to add. If you don't like to switch chokes in between stands, walk the course and observe the targets where you believe you want to shoot them. The longer targets should dictate your choice of chokes - stick em in and leave them.

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

It's Digweed, not Digby.

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Usually about 2-4". Mark

7. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I think that 32" barrels in O/Us are common in both sports now days. Some sporting shooters have gone to 34" but I'm not sure how prevalent that is.

8. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

im using a 31.5" bbl with cyl and minus .005 chokes for skeet,and find I can make more precise short moves on doubles ,whereas the shorter barrels I would swing/slash thru the line more.But for sporting im still more comfortable with heavy 28-30"bbls,go figure?

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

There is no difference between the two. Now that said most skeeters prefer the 30 inch barrel O/U's while most Sporters like a 32 inch or a 34 inch barrel. Just like in trap the shooters of longer shots like a longer barrel with a longer sighting plane. That simple. break em all. Jeff

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Thirty-Twos are getting to be a regular sight on our Skeet fields. I have four Thirty-Two Inch guns, would not go back to the Thirty.

11. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I started using 32's back in the early 90's after switching from trap to sporting. At the time many people would look at me like I had 2 heads and had just landed from another planet. But after a while people started asking to shoot my longer barrel guns. I like the longer sighting plane and the swing of 32's. One evening I was in Shore Sportsman in Easton Maryland while coming home from a shoot. The area Browning rep was there. We got into a discusion about Browning's introduction of the 525 ( now this was a while back). I told him that if they would make one in 32" I would probably be in the market for one. He replied that he wasn't sure if a 32 would be produced and that if there was enough interest he was quite certain Browning would produce a 32" one but he would send up the line that there seemed to be some interest in 525's in 32". My reply was there are 425's and Special Sporting Clays guns out here now with 32" barrels (and I owned both). A bit later someone from Shore Sportsman called me and told me they had just recieved a 32" 525. I went up with my 425 to trade. I came home with my old 425 and a brand new "closeout" 20 ga 425.

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Why this discussion on a trapshooting site???? Take it where it belongs.

Don

13. Oregunner

It is trapshooters.com, not trapshooting.com. Some of us shoot more than trap, and it is shooting related, which is more than can be said for lots of threads on this forum. The title is obvious, just skip it, if you have nothing to add. Mark

14. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I was shooting the big pig at hopkins and met a Browning Rep there. He didn't know the difference between back bore and over bore. I tried to convince him to import the fixed choke miroku barrels on the 325.
    They would have beaten perazzi on the wave of light barrels and now 17 years later krieghoff has a new lite barrel

15. Oregunner

What is the difference between backbored and overbored? According to the Browning link above, they sound like different terms for the same thing. Educate us, please. Mark

16. drgondog

drgondog Member

@Setterman - you are right about Digweed. My Statins are kicking in..

Regards,

Bill

17. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Backbored means the barrels have been bored out their entire length from lets say .725 to .735 which reduces their weight a good amount.

Overbored is like the current Brownings where the bores are made say .740 originally and the corresponding barrel thickness is much greater. Overbored barrels are heavy!

18. Oregunner

Browning advertises their new 725 as being backbored as new. see link. Mark

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Oregunner read the purpose of the site and it is trapshooting. Why don't you just take your discussion to a sporting or skeet site.

Yes there is a lot of garbage and it all needs to go.

Don

20. Oregunner

Don, I just come by and try to be helpful and polite. I spend much more time on Shotgunworld, where there are specific forums for lots of shotgun related topics. Good luck with getting rid of all the extraneous discussions. Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.