1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sporting shotgun for Trap shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ihartm, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ihartm

ihartm TS Member

I am interested in purchasing a Caesar Guerini Summit sporting gun 32" 12 gauge
    and would like to know if it can be used for Trapshooting. I know that the POI will be different than the POI of a true Trap gun, but is that the only difference I would need to compensate for???
    Presently I am using a Winchester Select Energy Trap with a Monte Carlo Stock
    and added Morgan butt plate to align my face better for proper sight aquistion.
    When I use a field gun I seem to have a more natural sight picture.
    any and all input would be helpful. Thank you
    I.Hartman

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

See if you can find one that you can shoot before buying. I find that shooting a gun before buying it works out best for me. HMB

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The are flat shooters for most. You'll probably have to cover the target unless you install an adjustible comb.

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I would think the gun would serve you well for all the clay target sports. It would be even more advantageous if the gun has an adjustable comb. However, if needed, that could always be installed. If the gun is in good shape and has a good price on it; I would say go for it. As HMB states it would be great if you could shoot it before purchasing it. I understand your feeling of being more comfortable with a sporting gun than a trap gun. (Especially one that seems way high, when you place it in the shooting position). I know of several shooters who do exceptionally well, shooting a sporting clays gun for trap. And as I stated, you can always have Greg Hissem or someone else, install an adjustable comb. Good Luck. Ed

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

There's no replacement for trying what you're considering. I was certain that a sporting gun would be a fix for me about 15 years ago and it was a miserable failure. I now shoot skeet, trap, and sporting with just one gun and different barrels and it is an original trap gun. Shooting the trap gun for all games, in other words, was a better fix for me. At least you should be shooting the gun that best handles the game(s) you really focus on as your main hobby. If you register trap birds I'll bet you'll do better with organizing a trap gun to handle other shooting as well.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how can a sporting shotgun be used for trap shooting

sporting shotgun for trap