1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sporting Guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jhurstkc, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhurstkc

jhurstkc TS Member

I am in the market for a sporting clay gun. I trapshoot weekly with a Browning BT 99 32" barrel which I have become very comfortable with. I have no real experience buying a new target gun but wish to have a gun that would allow me to shoot doubles trap, skeet, or sporting clays so I need an over/under or semi-auto. I will continue to shoot my BT99 for trap. My questions are:

1. Is it realistic that a sporting gun could be a one gun fits all categories (skeet, doubles trap, and sporting clays)?
    2. For the amount of $ new guns cost, are there any opportunities to shoot new guns before you buy one?
    3. I live in Kansas City, MO and having a hard time finding anyone that carries multiple sporting guns by Browning and Beretta. Any suggestions on a dealer that has good in-stock selection to view?
    4. Since I shoot a Browning, is there any reason to be concerned that buying a Berretta and shooting that gun often would affect my success with my Browning?

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to respond. Sincerely appreciate your input and I really enjoy this website.

Sincerely,
    Jeff

2. Borderland

Borderland Member

Jeff.. James Wayne firearms in Victoria, Tx has good prices on the now discontinued Winchester(FN built) Select Energy sporting OUs and they are still supported and serviced by Winchester(Browning). Jaquas has a very good price on a couple of 28" Citori Special Sporting(used) on their website. Either of these guns would be a good choice to begin 5 stand or Sporting clays without a lot of investment in case you dont like it.
    Ken

3. andybull

andybull Active Member

If yo buy a 28" barrelled over under and then decide to sell it, it'll be hard to. Most sporting clays and trapshooters use a 30", or 32" barrelled shotguns. I use a 32" for all but singles. 30" for auto.

4. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I shoot all the games with a Beretta 682 sporting. Of course I'm just a B class shooter and I do have to blot out some trap shots because my gun shoots flat. I changed from a Browning sporting O/U about 15 years ago and it was a big adjustment for me. The Browning was heavier in the barrela and printed patterns higher

It's been a while since I lived in Overland Park but I believe KCTA up in Smithville has used guns--perhaps the'd let you try one. Powder Creek over in Lenexa has all the shotgun games and I bet someone would let you try their gun.

Cabelas has plenty of guns but not many target grade ones.

A fall back could be to buy a field autoloader for not much money and get in the game. I have a beretta 3901 that shoots just as well as my 682 that I paid $600 for brand new. It's ugly but it works.

Hope this was a little help.

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Buy an 1100 with choke tubes and an adjustible comb. Use that to determine you desired point of impact for sporting and doubles. Then make an investment in an O/U to your liking and POI.

Skeet and sporting usually require a flatter shooting gun than trap doubles.

You can usually get your money back out of a $600 1100. A 28" barrel on an 1100 is approx. the same as a 32" O/U.

6. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I would get a Beretta auto 390 or 391 you can get a flat rib barrel for skeet and sporting and a raised rib barrel for doubles if you need it. The key here is the Beretta's have a stock shim system so you can adjust the POI very easy and they are great shooting guns that shoot soft and hit hard thousands of them on the sporting clays courses lots of Master class guys shooting them. Tough to beat for the money

Buddy advice is free and that is what it is worth

7. Raystownbob

Raystownbob Active Member

Depends how much you want to spend. I picked up a used Blaser Super Sport with the adjustable rib and shoot skeet and sporting with the rib set flat. If shooting wobble trap I can change the rib setting to shoot higher in seconds.

8. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

an 1100 comp with an adjustable comb will do all well.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

SX2 Sporting Clays, 3 inch duratouch stock, 600 shipped. 2 pistons, 5 chokes.

PM for info

HM

10. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I just bought a Browning XS Special High Post Rib with adjustable comb, 32" barrels. The HP will allow you to put the comb up for trap, middle for skeet and middle to more down for sporting. About $3k new.

Before this I had the Winchester Select Energy with adjustable comb, and I recommend it for less money. About $1700 new, and less if you can find a used on.

Of course, a Beretta 391 Parallel Target can also be used for all games, especially if you put adj comb on it.

Danny

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Halfmile did not mention that his Super-X has factory spacers to adjust the stock for fine tuning this great auto. It will fit about anyone. A very soft shooter, use the big piston for your shooting. The little piston will work with 3/4 oz loads, is hard on the gun with regular ammo.

I had one of these for a loaner, used it to take my level I Sporting Clays Instructor class, gun shot VERY WELL.

12. Michael.B

Michael.B Member

Browning Unsingle.
    http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/finder.asp?f1=008B

Browning dealers here:
    http://www.browning.com/dealerlocator/index.asp

Michael B.

13. jhurstkc

jhurstkc TS Member

Thanks to all who offered such good advice on the purchase of the sporting gun. Interestingly enough the posts caused me to consider a gun that had not even been on my radar as I was fixated on buying an over and under. Today I made a purchase of a Beretta AL391 Teknys Gold Target. After researching this gun, it offered a lot for the $ and I am pleased to have found one, which was a difficult task in its own right with production of this gun coming to an end apparently.

Thanks to all,
    JEFF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bt-99 sporting clays

winchester select energy sporting tuning