Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sporting gun for trap

4K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  Steve W 
#1 ·
Looking at a Beretta 682e sporting, (30") used. If an adjustable comb was installed, would this be a competitive gun to use on all courses? I belong to a trap gun club so that is what I will be shooting primarily , But I want to play them all. Eventually, with maybe 1 gun
Just asking?

#2 ·
I would much rather shoot skeet and sporting with a trap gun rather than the other way around - in fact, I do just that. If Trap's going to be your primary game, I'd recommend learning the other games with a trap oriented gun.......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

#3 ·
I sometimes use my sporting for trap. the big difference is point if impact. my trap guns are set 70/30 80/20, my sporting gun is set 50/50. when i shoot trap with the sporting gun i have to work harder and cover the bird. however on windy days the sporting gun has a bit of an advantage. you might consider a 32" gun. good luck doc

#4 ·
my opinion--differance is about 8-10 inches ---which is what most lost trap targets are missed at!!!!---you will work to make the gun shoot a good round vs the gun working for you and making it easier!!!!

#5 ·
I think it is better to shoot a sporting gun with adjustable comb if you want to shoot one gun for all games. I say this because it is almost impossible to get a trap gun to shoot 50/50 the combs are to high to get a gun to shoot flat enough. With an adjustable comb you can get a 50/50 gun to shoot 60/40 or 70/30 even 80/20 with out having the comb in the nose bleed section. I have a sporting gun that I have a add on rib that fixes the trap problem also it is a clamp on more complicated solution but I like to experiment with guns.
Buddy

#6 ·
Treefrog,
I have an XT with factory adj. stock with it adjusted all the way down it works fine for the OTHER shooting sports. It's a little heavy but I don't shoot clays or skeet that much so it all works out. I tend to agree with Mr. Dodd if trap is the primary game I'd stick with the trap gun. just my $.02

#8 ·
You can use the Sport gun for trap provided that you cover the trap target with the muzzle to raise the point of impact. I don't think there is enough wood on the Sport stock to install an adj comb and hardware. The wood thickness above the stock bolt channel is not that thick.
Mike Battista
727 410 5212

#9 ·
I personally shoot different guns, but if I had to only pick one, it would be a sporting gun and use it for trap. I have tried it both ways and I simply can't master dropping targets or worse yet downhill targets with a trap gun. I do OK with my sporting guns at trap. I find that since I have started shooting more sporting clays in the past couple of years, I have had to adjust my trap gun to shoot flatter. The only downside of a sporting gun is that most have really low ribs which can be a PITA with heat waves while shooting trap.

#12 ·
Seems like the main thing should be that you find a gun that fits you and your shooting style.

I shoot a sporting style gun for everything, and I shoot trap, sporting and some skeet too.

I did go through the process of trying to shoot real trap guns for trap, even had them fitted, but it was not comfortable for me to shoot them and was a constant fight. About all that happened there in the end was I threw a lot of money down a rathole.... but at least now I know to not be thinking about buying another trap specific gun...

Where when I use a sporting style gun, that shoots about 60/40 at most, everything just clicks like auto-pilot.

#13 ·
Tree,

Just my opinion, and I don't shoot competively very often. Find one that fits and shoots where you are looking, be it a sporting, trap etc. Do you shoot high gun or low gun? I've had field guns that shot 90/10 and trap guns that shot 40/60 and sporters in between.

Most folks will gladly let you shoot their guns if approached properly and respectivly. If you're looking at a gun to purchase shoot a few rounds with it and let someone knowledgable give you feed back on gunfit.

I love o/u's but for a new shooter one of the best bang for the bucks is an auto 1100 or a 390 series, unless you buy it new you will almost always get what you paid for it when you go to sell it or trade it. You won't have issues with recoil and can successfully shoot most games out there especially if you get one with chokes and an adjustable pad. Barrel length is up to you to decide on.

Fit it, feed it and have fun.

#14 ·
I'd rather use a Sporting gun for everything than a specialized ATA gun to shoot others.

As a matter of fact, I sold all my high rib, long barrel, heavy guns because I find no advantages for me.
When I had my high POI ATA guns, I had a hard time adjusting myself back to Sporting Clays and Bunker, I even missed many doves on opening day.

Now I shoot everything with my 29.5" Sporting guns with non-M/C stock. I learn to shoot these guns with all target presentations. I know where the gun shoots, I adjust my leads accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.