1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

sporting clays

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by winselect, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winselect

winselect TS Member

I know this is a trap forum, but I have started shooting alot of sporting clays and am wondering if anyone else uses a high rib O/U for sporting clays. I keep hearing I need to buy a sporting gun.
    Kevin

2. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

If you shoot good with your high rib gun, does it matter? I see no need to go and spend another $2500 on a decent sporting gun when you already have a gun that works. I am having the problem that I have a gun, but I can't shoot it worth a crap in sporting clays...I am actually leaning towards getting a higher rib gun. JMO, Josh.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I use a Citori Plus 30" quite frequently and I think it works great at sporting

4. Lyle

Lyle Member

I have been using an XT trap with 32" barrels with a precision fit stock.
    You should see the looks I get.
    1. my gun is longer than theirs
    2. my gun is a trap gun
    3. my robostock is something most haven't seen in the sporting world
    4. I shoot IM and F while they keep changing chokes I keep smoking the targets

By the end of the round they all want to see my stock and gun.

Lyle

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What Lyle said. "Beware the man with one gun". XT's kick behind!

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I use my XT at sporting. Only targets that seem to really bother me are the over head and dropping, also the ones that come right at you with not much rise to them.

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I shott sc last week for the first time in a long time. Shot a 101 field gun had a bit of trouble with dropping targets but opther than that it was all good and a lot of fun. I've shot the same scores with trap guns and a friends clay gun. Moarl fo the the post: it's just fun to buy and shoot more guns

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

This is my project Sporting Clays gun (yeah, I know it's ugly, but it's not finished yet). I put it together from a bunch of pieces that I had and added a 28" DeVault adjustable rib barrel to it. I took it out for the first time the other day and did "OK" and I feel it will perform very well once it's all set up. I plan on painting the stock and forearm with red highlights (I already powder coated the lower part of the receiver):

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_2077.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_2076.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_2073.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

I have it set up to shoot 70/30 (a little high for Sporting Clays for some people, but I like a higher shooter)

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

My skeet, sporting, 5 stand gun is a Trap over/under (with standard trap rib) and I'm not usually too embarrassed with my results. I'm more comfortable with the one gun theory than a gun for every discipline......breakemall....Bob Dodd

10. Jwints525

Jwints525 TS Member

I shot at the Missouri State Sporting Clays shoot a couple of weeks ago with a guy that shoots well with a high rib gun. Looks like a trap style gun but he put it together and set it up that way to shoot sporting clays. Whatever works for you!

11. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

It's the Indian, not the arrow! But it IS fun shooting lots of guns!

12. winselect

winselect TS Member

My gun is still shooting a little higher that I like for sporting, it has an adjustable monte carlo stock, I think if I put a sporting stock on it It will shoot flatter and it will be awesome. Personally I like looking down a higher rib. To me a flat rib is like theres nothing there. Also whats the difference in a skeet stock and a sporting stock??
    Kevin

13. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

Jwints525,

Our SCTP team was working as trap help on the sub gage course for that shoot.

I remember one fellow in particular that came through shooting an XT. I was on the last station and I remember he had one of the better scores.

I thanked him, told him I was going to use his example to explain to my son that he really didn't need a sporting gun to shoot sporting clays.

Figure he might save me a buck or two!

14. winselect

winselect TS Member

I have about decided that if you get a trap gun shooting pretty flat whats the difference. The only targets I have trouble with are the fallers. My trap gun was shooting 80/20 and it was nearly impossible for me to get under them enough. I have gotten it shooting about 70/30 now and has made alot of differene. I think if I take the monte stock off and put a skeet or sporting stock on I will have it shooting about as flat as a sporting gun.Kevin

15. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

A lot of Sporting targets are dropping. It is one thing to hold a foot under on a dropping target with a flat shooting gun but a lot more difficult with a gun that shoots a foot or two high!

How do you figure out how far to hold under a 50 yard crosser with a high ribbed gun? It is difficult enough to hold a 8-10 foot lead without worrying about how far to hold under too!!

JIm Skeel

16. winselect

winselect TS Member

Jim,, You hit the nail on the head, thats why Im trying to flatten out my gun. Kevin

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Try a standard international Bunker gun on Sporting clays (50/50 POI). You will smoke everything. Mine is a 682 with 29.5" barrels, shoots 50/50. Try IM and M chokes.

18. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Having shot a bit of Sporting from time to time here's my observation. Any gun that shoots where you look and can swing comfortably will work.

I have the unique distinction of having won my class at our state championships three times. The first time was in 1992 and I was shooting a Remington 3200 trap gun with briley chokes. The second time was with a Gamba live bird gun and a flat rib. The last time was 2004 and I was shooting an experimental high rib trap gun built for Remington By Gamba.

To answer your question It doesn't matter, which type of gun you use it only matters where it shoots for you.

Shoot what ever gun you like to that would be the best gun.

Joe

19. Lyle

Lyle Member

You don't need a flat gun. You need a gun that shoots where you LOOK whether it be rising or falling. I like a higher shooting gun because I can see the target and the shot goes where my eyes are. In my opinion the flat shooter is a myth and it is a handicap in trap or sporting.

Lyle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
sporting clays forum

sporting clays forums