1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sporting Clays

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomc66, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomc66

tomc66 Member

I am going to try Sporting Clays for the first time. What choke tubes should I use in my over-under gun?

2. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

I would suggest using an improved on first shot and mod on second for when the clays have moved further away. I've also seen shooters using improved for both shots. The direction and speeds of the clays is the big factor to me. But I also have to say just take what you got and go have fun.

John MI

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

For the easy to break close up targets have some shells loaded with 9s. For hard to break targets and long range targets have some shells loaded with 7 1/2s. As far as chokes go use IC and MOD. HMB

4. chemist

chemist Member

have fun with the rabbits- I use a 20 gauge with 30 inch barrels and Mod/ IM chokes - depends how fast I pick up the targets. Have fun and enjoy the friends you shoot with.

rich k- chemist

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

A good rule of thumb for new sporting clays shooter. Whatever you think your lead should be on a target -double it!

6. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Light Mod about .015 is plenty.

7. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

depends on the course. might be some really close shots or rabbits that a skeet choke would be better. you rarely need more than a mod choke. I do
    bring a variety of ammo too. The faster the better. For the first time, you want to concentrate on the lead. I can tell you that most sporting targets are descending so you need to be "in front and under". Many newcomers miss birds over the top. "shoot the feet off the bird" is the best advise on a sporting course. A few rounds of skeet will help you dial in to crossing and incoming birds. Have fun!

8. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

Courses vary but as someone else mentioned, you can't go wrong with a light modified (.015) constriction.

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Take all the tubes you have mod and IC work well. There are many presentations so having them all with you is helpfull

10. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

Start saving up for a new gun, lots of tubes,shooting cart and piles of ammo. Sporting Clays is like cocaine to shotgunners.

11. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Start with one choke and one shell. Anything more is a distraction. There are a dozen things more important.

If you get hooked, you can spend lots of time and money buying every choke tube and gun mod that gets hyped and trying every load from 3/4 ounce #9 to 1 & 1/8 ounce # 7.5.

If you get to be pretty good, you just might wind up using one choke and one shell.

12. Scotty585

Scotty585 Member

Sprinklerman... I think you nailed it.
    I picked up a very reasonably priced Browning 325 on here and shoot a fairly close course near my house with Skeet & IC tubes. The selectable trigger helps with some of the mixed presentations.
    Ive been referring to it as Sporting Crack...
    Good Luck.

13. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

My rule of thumb is: The more target that you can see, the less choke you need. The less target that you can see, the more choke I use, especially on long crossers. On most courses, You may only need skeet and IC. Sporting can be very addictive and is much more costly than trap shooting, for targets. The main thing is to go to have fun. Bill

14. Kingranch

Kingranch TS Member

Use the KISS method. Put a IC in the bottom and Mod or Lt Mod in the top. Shoot either 1 oz or 1 1/8th oz of either 8's or 7 1/2's, whatever you have the most confidence in. Shoot the load that you would shoot for short ydg handicap. Once you pick these out, don't give it another thought. JUST REALLY FOCUS ON THE TARGET!! I see too many folks (sporting, trap and sometimes skeet) that think too much about what load or what choke to use for a given target presentation and not enough attention to reading the target line. If you are looking at the target, really looking at the target, you should be able to see some detail about the target, not just that it is orange or round. Just my 2 cents.

Keep it simple. Shooting clays is basically a simple game, people tend to make it harder than it needs to be,

KingRanch

15. RayReys

RayReys Member

I've had decent success with my semis equipped with just a Light Mod and 1 1/8oz 7.5 or 8 at 1200- this weekend I'll be trying lm and mod on my o/u to see how I fare.

16. xsshooter

xsshooter Member

Lt mod. 7.5. Kiss

17. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: Lt mod. 7.5. Kiss

I've been leaning towards 7.5 lately.

18. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I use modified on the bottom and full on top. It is simple fof me with fixed chokes. Chokes are in inches and misses are in feet. Hard focus on target, shoot where it is going, not where it has been.

19. birdyklr

birdyklr Member

LM will shoot any courses you will go to here in the USA Europe if you ever go you will need your mod and full chokes. In my opinion and I am a sporting clays guy. IC on the botton and LM on the top and switch your first barrel fired as needed. you'll be fine if you want to tke the thought out of it shoot LM in both.

20. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Skeet and IC if you are starting out and will shoot "soft" courses.
    IC and LM if you shoot harder "courses"
    MOD/IM if you shoot in soft FITASC parcours.
    IM/Light Full for harder FITASC parcours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.